Forums

Losing To Unusual Openings

Sort:
Musikamole

My opponent opened in a most unusual way. The early pawn moves threw me for a loop. It was difficult to develop and advance my pieces.  Should I have pushed more pawns early in the game?  Suggestions? 

I had a winning position in the last game, but blew the checkmate pattern and lost on time.
Musikamole

In this game, my opponent chose a usual/common opening, the Two Knights Defense, which I have more success against.

Here is another common opening - The Italian.

Musikamole

I guess the local morning parade threw my board vision way off. Those three games that I first posted were just an example of weak opening moves from one opponent, and completely terrible play by me. 

On a more important note: at the parade, the marching bands were OK, the zoo animals were pretty cool, but the huge farm tractors were awesome! Laughing

Pikachulord6

It's all right. I missed Qxa2 too while I was playing through your game. One just doesn't expect the opponent to make such a blatant blunder!

I liked your approach to the unusual opening. Go for center control, develop the pieces, etc. But I didn't like 5...Be7. Maybe it's not so bad a move, but I would have preferred 5...Bb6, letting the bishop sit on that nice diagonal and increasing control over d4.

I would also have castled kingside, simply because White seems to have a pawn rush on the queenside and because it seems more natural for Black to castle kingside. Yes, the queen is on f3, but it seems like it would have taken a long time for White to get anything going on the kingside.

Overall, not a bad game. Seems like the kind of game I might play against strange openings. The only advice I have is to remember that such openings are generally not sound and that if you can find moves that make you comfortable, play them. If you can find moves that might annoy your opponent, play them.

Musikamole
Pikachulord6 wrote:

It's all right. I missed Qxa2 too while I was playing through your game. One just doesn't expect the opponent to make such a blatant blunder!

I liked your approach to the unusual opening. Go for center control, develop the pieces, etc. But I didn't like 5...Be7. Maybe it's not so bad a move, but I would have preferred 5...Bb6, letting the bishop sit on that nice diagonal and increasing control over d4.

I would also have castled kingside, simply because White seems to have a pawn rush on the queenside and because it seems more natural for Black to castle kingside. Yes, the queen is on f3, but it seems like it would have taken a long time for White to get anything going on the kingside.

Overall, not a bad game. Seems like the kind of game I might play against strange openings.

The only advice I have is to remember that such openings are generally not sound and that if you can find moves that make you comfortable, play them. If you can find moves that might annoy your opponent, play them.

Thank you. I need to remember that when I see moves that really look odd, they are most likely weak moves, and that I need to remain calm and look for opportunities.