Forums

Queen's Gambit Accepted is underrated

Sort:
chasm1995
Likhit1 wrote:
chasm1995 wrote:

I always with people that play QGD when I wold like at least 1/4 of them to want QGA.  Aren't there some players at my level that see it as an extra pawn?

What?

I play QG, and most people decline, even though I'm giving up a pawn.

Likhit1
chasm1995 wrote:
Likhit1 wrote:
chasm1995 wrote:

I always with people that play QGD when I wold like at least 1/4 of them to want QGA.  Aren't there some players at my level that see it as an extra pawn?

What?

Well,declining is completely fine and more popular than accepting.You arent giving up a pawn becoz white can win it with ease and if you try to hold on to it too much,ull get worse pretty quick

zborg

Many WCCs have played the QGA.

Here's a good book from 2005 --

http://www.amazon.com/How-Beat-D4-Ambitious-Repertoire/dp/1904600336/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364838938&sr=1-8&keywords=queen+gambit+accepted

Put "QGA" into the forum search line, and you'll get 20-30 threads with a much better treatment of this topic than you find herein.

QGA "kicks in" on move two, so your repetorie versus 1) d4 is very easily built.  A simple and effective opening system.  What's not to like?

chasm1995
Likhit1 wrote:
chasm1995 wrote:
Likhit1 wrote:
chasm1995 wrote:

What?

Well,declining is completely fine and more popular than accepting.You arent giving up a pawn becoz white can win it with ease and if you try to hold on to it too much,ull get worse pretty quick

I mean playing as white.  I don't understand why people always decline instead of taking the seemingly free pawn.

TitanCG
chasm1995 wrote:Likhit1 wrote:chasm1995 wrote:Likhit1 wrote:chasm1995 wrote:I always with people that play QGD when I wold like at least 1/4 of them to want QGA.  Aren't there some players at my level that see it as an extra pawn?What?I play QG, and most people decline, even though I'm giving up a pawn.Well,declining is completely fine and more popular than accepting.You arent giving up a pawn becoz white can win it with ease and if you try to hold on to it too much,ull get worse pretty quickI mean playing as white.  I don't understand why people always decline instead of taking the seemingly free pawn.
The pawn isn't really free because White can win it back.
Likhit1
chasm1995 wrote:
Likhit1 wrote:
chasm1995 wrote:
Likhit1 wrote:
chasm1995 wrote:

What?

I mean playing as white.  I don't understand why people always decline instead of taking the seemingly free pawn.

Thats wat i explained to u.I was talking to u from whites perspective

TwoMove

Another very good book on the QGA is by Semkov of chess stars publishers.

It has reputation of being weak with inexperienced players because "gives up center", and weak players playing it with black try to hang on to pawn instead of countering center with c5 or e5.

After 1.d4 d5 2c4 pxp 3e4 the soundest approach for black is playing 3...e5 immediately