Forums

Queens Gambit Declined Question

Sort:
musicalhair

I stand corrected.  In the line in question BxN should preceed Qb3, as stated by Pellik and Conzipe.  The double attack on the b and d pawns is something I've never had the pleasure of, and might not've had I remained in error.

TheOldReb

6.... Bf5 is bad for black and white  wins more than 80% of the games after 7 Bxf6 Bxf6  8 Qb3 and only 64% with the immediate 7 Qb3     Nuff Said 

PortlandPatzer

In the QGD, one idea a side can adopt as well in a game is to attack the squares a LSB has vacated covering just recently (i.e. Qb3). this is especially so if Black were to adopt in some way, 2.... Bf5 (Baltic Defense). While Qb3 is not a full refutation of this line, it is pretty straight forward.

Kasparov said something to the effect that most QGD opening theory rests on how Black can get his c8-Bishop into play.

Also, if Black chooses a Bf5 line, do not be woried about Bxb1 as there is not only the recapture but some nice opening exchanges that leave White with a nice pawn center and Bishops pair and is enough compensation as well.

Musicalhair is correct in his assessment of Bf5 as well. If your opponent weakens squares and you can hit at them without loss of tempo in the opening, so much the better.

The fact that your opponent picked his move order in the Orthodox or Capablanca System (not sure as I don't have access to my book right now) and played exd5, freed up his game somewhat and as of yet, I am uncertain as to how the eventul outcome hinged here.

The QGD probably rivals the Ruy Lopez as the most popular opening of all time so that can say alot for people choosing to play it. How popular? In Alekhine's and Capablanca's world champoinship matches, 32 of 34 matches were some line of the QGD.

Personally OP, I would have taken a safer route than playing Bf5 though it is playable and tried to finalize my development and enter the middle game in a clearer picture for Black but hopefully these posts help you see some of the ideas to try as well in this opening. Good lick in future matches.

Laz151121982

Thanks for all the comments

Chessdude007

I am finding this immensely interesting...

Chessdude007

I'm curious though- would Ne2 not be a good move for white in this position?  Does white really have nothing in this position?  

Chessdude007

Also, in the first position that we see on this forum, would Nb5 not be a good alternative to Qc6? 

Chessdude007

Then again... after analyzing that.. maybe not

Chessdude007

any thoughts on what Bb5 could do for white in that position?