Forums

Sharp variation against the English?

Sort:
willilo

Hi everyone,

When I play against the english I always perform badly as I just don't play as well when I play that slow, boring positional chess. I really want to find a variation against the english that's pretty sharp but not dubious. I'm not sure if this is even possible but I'm sure that someone else has had the same problem with the english and have found a solution. If you have found one or know a line that suits the description please post it here!!

Thanks

Willis

willilo

Thanks, is that the best there is or is there something better?

willilo

Thanks lasker fan.. might try that out

Golbat

If you're a fan of the Dutch defense, you can try the Anglo-Dutch:

1. c4 f5

Otherwise, you can always play the King's Indian and launch a kingside pawn storm.

Vyomo

Well If your opponengt plays c4

Why don't you try C6!

ericmittens
Gonnosuke wrote:

There's a gambit line in the Anti-Benoni complex that can lead to sharp play:

1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 e5 5. Nb5 d5 6.cxd5 Bc5! (6...Qa5+!?)

Kasparov and Topalov both played it as young GM's.  Bareev, Gelfand and Friedel have been carrying the torch in recent years with good results.

See Dangerous Weapons: Flank Openings by Palliser, Kosten and Vigus for in-depth coverage of this line and many more ideas

The Kasparov Gambit is fantastic, but at lower levels nobody plays 2.Nf3. It's all 2.g3s and Nc3s and such, closed setups, no d4.

I would suggest playing either a king's indian setup (because you can't be move-ordered) or even better might be 1...e5 with a reversed sicilian of some sort. Most of the top guys play a dragon reversed, like this.

Also you might consider playing a reversed closed sicilian, or reversed grand-prix attack. All are quite viable, the reversed grand-prix especially has a very straightforward plan of kingside aggression.
DrizztD

What do you play again d4? What you play can often affect what you do against c4.

Cheesy-FishBubble

You play the english.

KnightShifter

I always play the Reversed Sicilian with e5 and f5 on the first two moves.

willilo

Thanks estragon....I'll try that

birdboy1

play a dutch defense against c4.  The dutch is usually pretty tactical, especially in the variations where white castles kingside

mabonabbo

What about the reverse Grand Prix Attack or The Reversed Closed Sicilian?

Both are quite sharp in the normal sicilian, with tactical oppurtunities and the ability to start a perfectly sound kingside attack.

Vyomo

Why don't you try c4 c5? This solves most problems of the english. Most don't know how to deal with it anyways, so it's a big chance to get an advantage.

Vyomo

Ya but if you are losing vs English, try the Slav. If played accurately, it's a draw in which case you might lose your fear of the english and try something else like c5!

Dutchday

The Dutch or a King's Indian approach IS sharp, but there is no telling the white player will play d4. These people usually enjoy the c4-d3-e3 centre. When it gets really tricky, they flick in f4, stopping most attacks.

Some of the best other lines are with c5 and e6. In case of centre action (d4) you always have Bb4 pinning the knight, and Qb6. That's especially good in the white g3 lines.

c5 and d5 can indeed be good. If white does nothing active, you set up the reversed Maroczy bind. (Rubinstein system.)

Any line with Bb4 is solid. This is after e5 or even e6. It's very positional, but if you can take the knight on c3 with doubled pawns and play it well, you can give white a serious headache.

So there are a lot of interesting lines against the English, but you need to know the ideas very well, because most lines are positional.

LeventK11111111
Dutchday yazdı:

The Dutch or a King's Indian approach IS sharp, but there is no telling the white player will play d4. These people usually enjoy the c4-d3-e3 centre. When it gets really tricky, they flick in f4, stopping most attacks.

Some of the best other lines are with c5 and e6. In case of centre action (d4) you always have Bb4 pinning the knight, and Qb6. That's especially good in the white g3 lines.

c5 and d5 can indeed be good. If white does nothing active, you set up the reversed Maroczy bind. (Rubinstein system.)

Any line with Bb4 is solid. This is after e5 or even e6. It's very positional, but if you can take the knight on c3 with doubled pawns and play it well, you can give white a serious headache.

So there are a lot of interesting lines against the English, but you need to know the ideas very well, because most lines are positional.

thanks!