Forums

WCC2018, Caruana-Carlsen, 1 & 3 rounds, Old Sicilian: Rossolimo attack: Exchange variation

Sort:
TwoMove

I think b7xB is playable as well, just a different line. Qc7 was apparantly a newish move.

Yigor
TwoMove wrote:

Qc7 was apparantly a newish move.

Almost. Stockfish has a good "opinion" about this move, evaluating it as good as the mainstream 6...Nf6 (ev=+0.3, d=24). explorer.pngpeshka.png

congrandolor
Hedgehog1963 wrote:

I was always told to take towards the centre.

You were lied all your life, take always towards the rim

Paul1e4

Is the exchange variation better than castling on move 4?

MickinMD

Caruana sees far more deeply than me and they say masters are having success with it lately, but I wonder how well the Rossolimo does among non-masters?

The Rossolimo attack looks interesting, but it seems to me that you are moving a Bishop twice just to take it off the board for a Black Knight that moved once, giving your opponent a tempo plus the Bishop pair.

I’ve tried the White side of the variation called the Canal Attack where Black plays …d6 instead of …Nc6 and all I seemed to get out of that was exchanging Bishops and losing a tempo.

I did get a draw with the Canal Attack (https://www.chess.com/daily/game/169116376) playing White against a former Sydney, Australia High School Champion rated higher than me and it did lead to a strong center for me, but I haven’t used it since.

I’ve been playing the c3 Sicilian in an attempt to keep my White Center Pawns, but only achieved 3 wins, 1 draw, and 5 losses.

So now, not having time to study variation after variation, I’m studying Jesus de la Villa’s book Dismantling the Sicilian, which uses the standard Open Sicilian’s 1 e4 2 Nf3 3 d4 but sticks to common themes regardless of whether Black plays the Najdorf, Dragon, Taimanov, Classical, etc. lines.

I’ve been very aggressive lately: playing the King’s Gambit, sacrificing Rooks in a couple recent games, a Bishop in another, and pushing my Pawn to c5 instead of my favorite c6 (Caro-Kann), and played the Sicilian Dragon as Black for the first time. So maybe I’ll also try the Grand Prix Sicilian (I played it long ago when it was called the Larsen-Santasiere Variation) or the Smith-Morra Gambit.

stiggling
MickinMD wrote:

Caruana sees far more deeply than me and they say masters are having success with it lately, but I wonder how well the Rossolimo does among non-masters?

I play it in OTB tournaments, and enjoy the positions I get.

MickinMD wrote:

The Rossolimo attack looks interesting, but it seems to me that you are moving a Bishop twice just to take it off the board for a Black Knight that moved once, giving your opponent a tempo plus the Bishop pair.

You damage their pawn structure and get harmonious development (you're trading off your "bad" bishop after all).

MickinMD wrote:

I’ve tried the White side of the variation called the Canal Attack where Black plays …d6 instead of …Nc6 and all I seemed to get out of that was exchanging Bishops and losing a tempo.

I did get a draw with the Canal Attack (https://www.chess.com/daily/game/169116376) playing White against a former Sydney, Australia High School Champion rated higher than me and it did lead to a strong center for me, but I haven’t used it since.

Like most openings, if you want to go for maximum, then play the main lines (3.d4)

The funny thing about the elite level is it's pretty much the opposite... since they've analyzed everything extensively, and everything leads to equality, they play for a win by doing "boring" openings, and they play for a draw with "exciting" openings.

Anyway, in your game, when they recapture with the queen like that, there are two main ways to play for a win. You didn't choose either of them, and went for a very stale drawish position with 7.Re1

stiggling

Yigor

@stiggling Thanks for your analysis and diagrams. thumbup.png

Yigor
pfren wrote:

4...bxc6 is entirely playable, and has been used many times in top level games (mainly by Boris Gelfand).

What would be your choice: 4...dxc6 or 4...bxc6 ?

Yigor
Paul_in_NJ wrote:

Is the exchange variation better than castling on move 4?

Not better imho, it's the question of preferences. wink.png

Yigor
pfren wrote:
Yigor έγραψε:
pfren wrote:

4...bxc6 is entirely playable, and has been used many times in top level games (mainly by Boris Gelfand).

What would be your choice: 4...dxc6 or 4...bxc6 ?

Both are entirely playable. I would rather go for 4...bxc6 for the sake of complexity.

All right, thanks for your answer. thumbup.png