Forums

What is better; Parham or Queenside Fried Liver

Sort:
whatupyodog

Markus if you think these openings are a joke thats you problem.

Nachtwolf, i am now up to 1992 uscf so i am nearing that 2000+level and i never worried about openings before this but i believe i need to now.

NachtWulf

If your goal is to become an even better chessplayer (as opposed to playing for fun as your priority), I'd suggest picking up one of those 'popular' openings that everybody plays... like the Ruy, Sicilian, Italian, Scotch, etc. as white at least. Keep the Parham in your back pocket as a surprise weapon, and realize that even Nakamura didn't play it with victory in mind. Anyhow, it's nice to have several up-to-date opening books and contemporary games available as learning tools for openings you play.

If you still insist on picking between the two, you should probably be the one picking, not the chess.com forums. We don't know what you prefer!

The_Gavinator

that's funny since whatupyodog and I are both rated higher than you :p

ChessisGood

Someone, please tell me this guy is joking!

whatupyodog

ChessisGood you are obveriously not very good if you think this thread is a joke. ChristianSolier, you are starting to sound a lot like someone called jetfighter how you say things are bad for no reason. Please give a reason for the things you say. Thanks for the advice Nachtwulf but i would like some input on these openings from some people like IM pfren to learn some more variations of them.

whatupyodog

FCO?

waffllemaster
pfren wrote:

Both are shit, so you can't go wrong whichever one you pick.

Laughing

CHCL

@whatupyodog, every chess master I have ever spoken to says these openings are not the best way to play for an advantage.

CHCL
whatupyodog wrote:

FCO?

I think he means Fundamental Chess Openings

waffllemaster

He's rated 1600 blitz, and just look at his annotations... he's obviously kidding.

whatupyodog

Wafflemaster i am definately not kidding about these wonderful openings and when IM pfren said that he was joking i meant i would like some serious input from him.

The_Gavinator

whatupyodog- my vote is still parham. I am a Parham player as well, and I made a thread asking for people to give me something better. I got 7 pages of fluff, I considered the veresov, but I believe that is easier to stop than the Parham. Plus, in blitz where errors come easy, a slip in the Parham is much more devestating than a slip in the veresov.

waffllemaster

Heh, keep up the facade as long as you want whatupyodog, it's got gavinator going at least.

browni3141

The Parham is better. They both are automatic wins, but the Parham is more quickly crushing and will mate faster. The Waite-Harrison only wins a rook, and the game will last a while longer. The Parham is a forced win in at most 23 moves.

The_Gavinator

That's my point right there. The Parham is just all around more aggressive. However, the downside is playing against the sicilian. Any recommendations to aggressively fight the sicilian?

NachtWulf
The_Gavinator wrote:

That's my point right there. The Parham is just all around more aggressive. However, the downside is playing against the sicilian. Any recommendations to aggressively fight the sicilian?

Play actual sicilian lines involving 2. Nf3 or 2. Nc3... heck, playing an anti-sicilian would be an effective strategy as well.

waffllemaster

I'd go for an early Qd4.  That way if they want to do the dragon, you can win their rook, so it will take them out of book and a queen in the center is aggressive/well posted.

waffllemaster

Thanks.  Also the rook is the 2nd most powerful piece.  So it's also good to try for 1.h4 with 2.Rh3 and then something like Rf3 where you're already attacking their f pawn with a strong piece.

The_Gavinator

the worst thing is with a lot of people on this site is I can't tell if you're serious or joking :p

waffllemaster

When the annotations and comments (like post #15) call an opening "an automatic win" it's a good guess they're just having some fun :p