Forums

What is the best counter towards The Dutch defence?

Sort:
moonnie

Playing for traps is only a smart idea when if not falling for it by your opponent does not give allow black free play If he plays 4. ...c6 instead of the silly move 4. .. d5 the game should be about equal.

Not a great result for white equality after 4 moves.  

9thEagle

I recommend 2.Nc3. Then you can put your Bishop on g5, and point all your pieces at black's kingside. If you're really feeling mighty, you can even castle queenside and just ram the -h and -g pawns into his castled king.  I've had very good results with this.

blasterdragon
moonnie wrote:

Playing for traps is only a smart idea when if not falling for it by your opponent does not give allow black free play If he plays 4. ...c6 instead of the silly move 4. .. d5 the game should be about equal.

lol of course c6 is mainline but capablanca played this so you can't say its bad

Fear_ItseIf

depends on move order.

1.d4 f5 2.Bg5!!!  is great.

But people may enter through an e6 move order.

blasterdragon
blasterdragon
moonnie

@jempty: e6 looks weak to me. White wont ofcourse play e4 but c4 transforming into a rather favorable variation of the english as black will be forced to play e6-e5 later on.

Nc6 looks like a good try indeed. Perhaps also than c4 transforming to the f5/e5 english that is known to favor white lightly but is certainly playable

BTP_Excession

The Dutch often leads to a messy game where tactics triumph.

It isn't easy to find a quiet position with small but peristent advantage for White - which is what a lot of c4 or d4 players are looking for of course.

That said there are a lot of choices for white before Black even gets to pick his favorite version - at least if he plays 1..f5 - the anti-Dutch systems include 2. g4, 2. e4 and 2. Bg5. Also you can defer Bg5 until after 2. Nc3.

All of these avoid the main Leningrad/Stonewall and Classical lines for Black. And whilst none are going to be a bust of the Dutch vs an engine, in over the table play where you know your preferred variation better than he does, Black is going to have a tough time. The 2.e4 and 2.or 3. Bg5 lines are probably good for equality even with perfect play by Black. The 2.g4 line is a little more suspect.

In terms of setting nasty traps the 2.Bg5 line is probably the hardest for Black to meet if he isn't very ready for it.

blasterdragon
moonnie wrote:

why would you think black has reached equality in 4 moves?

Atyo473

the dutch defense never gave me a good feeling on the board playing with the black pieces.

skweekfyc

Respond with 3 h3 4.g4 5.. hxg 6. Qd3 7. Rxh7 8. Qxh7

pestebalcanica
imsighked2

In "The Diamond Dutch" Moskalenko recommends a good line for white, after d4, as 2. Nc3, followed by Bg5. I used to play the Dutch, and 2. Bg5, another line recommended by Mosklenko, gave me fits. What I liked about Moskalenko's book is it gave me great ideas for attacking the Dutch, as well as playing it as black.

imsighked2

If you are serious about playing the Dutch, as I ONCE was, you study the Stauton Gambit. I actually have a good book that is devoted entirely toward playing against the Stanton Gambit as black.

pestebalcanica
SuirenBoid

Personally I like 2.Bf4

GM_Chase
ViktorHNielsen wrote:

1: e4 refuted the dutch I would listen to the titled player here.

darkunorthodox88

i think the 2.nc3 suggestion is a good one, but if you are looking for something more positional, the systems with early g3 can take out the bite out of a lot black's attacking prospects. (not to mention your bishop wont bite as much granite if black goes for a stonewall formation)