Forums

Best to never become World Champion?

Sort:
liverpool007

Now I know this thread has been done before, but I havent seen one with a proper vote. I will give a few options plus an other option where you can vote for someone who isn't there and in  3 days or so i will check the thread and see who won.

Choices:

Rubinstein (My vote)

Korchnoi

Chigorin

Tarrasch

Keres

Reti

Nimzowitch

Ivanchuk 

Sultan Khan 

Other

MrEdCollins

Can I vote twice?

If so, put me down for one vote for Victor Korchnoi and one vote for Paul Keres.

liverpool007
manfredmann wrote:
liverpool007 wrote:

Now I know this thread has been done before, but I havent seen one with a proper vote. I will give a few options plus an other option where you can vote for someone who isn't there and in  3 days or so i will check the thread and see who won.

Choices:

Rubinstein (My vote)

Korchnoi

Chigorin

Tarrasch

Keres

Reti

Nimzowitch

Ivanchuk 

Sultan Khan 

Other

You don't have David Bronstein on the list??

Which is why I put other where you can vote for someone else and I will count those votes too

KvothDuval

bronstine!

ivandh

Korchnoi.

Arraskrahe

keres

linuxed

I'm a 1400 rated player with only a vague knowledge of chess history.  I've never studied these players' games at anything more serious than a passing glance.  My chess skill comparable to any of these players is so ridiculously weak I have no business rating or judging them.  But, being pathetically under qualified to voice an opinion has never stopped me (or most people on the internet) before.

+1 Ivanchuk.

SubNY

kamsky

Unmaster

Keres.   And interviews with GMs from that time period will bear this out.  

Keres absolutely killed Fischer in a couple of their games, at a time where no one else was able to even find equality.   

InDetention

carlsen

KvothDuval
juicysnail wrote:

carlsen

lol true...

fabelhaft
Unmaster wrote:

Keres absolutely killed Fischer in a couple of their games, at a time where no one else was able to even find equality.   

All their games against each other were played when Fischer was a teenager. As 16-year-old Fischer won three of his five games against Keres, and they won one each after that, their last game being a draw in 1962.

granitoman

what about Paul Morphy?

ihateparadox

I'm surprised that Geller isn't on the list. Bottvinnik considered himto be the greatest player of the 60's and that he was better at tournaments than matches.

fabelhaft
ihateparadox wrote:

I'm surprised that Geller isn't on the list. Bottvinnik considered himto be the greatest player of the 60's

In that case Botvinnik was wrong :-)

LikeTheLake

Bronstein.  Thanks.

Scottrf

Carlsen.

Daniel651
Scottrf wrote:

Carlsen.

Hah, but he may be ineligible for this list come November... :)

TetsuoShima

i know we shouldnt go by quantity but seriously it just has to be Korchnoi

SubNY

Rashid Gibiatovich N