Forums

Did you know that Fischer had no chess talent?

Sort:
trysts
AndyClifton wrote:

Well, this whole IQ business is a bit silly, and no better demonstration of that is there than this.  I find that the higher one goes up the chart, the more exponential the x in 1/x gets.  Am I really supposed to believe that these wizards of telemetry can measure something that accurately? lol

Not to mention the fact that what they are measuring is something entirely specious...another one of these "average person" comparisons.

Reminds me of somebody I overheard the other day walking down the street and proclaiming to his friends that he had "perfect 20/20 vision."  Ah yes, perfectly average! lol

I agree. Talent is also an evaluation based on averages. Talent doesn't seem to be in the talented, any more than art is in the artist. 

AndyClifton

Bobby, with

your big IQ

how'd you become

a Nazi Jew?

Crazychessplaya

Conflagration_Planet
AndyClifton wrote:

Bobby, with

your big IQ

how'd you become

a Nazi Jew?

Because he was nuts.

AndyClifton

Planet comes

and soon rebuts

"why'd he do this?

he was nuts"

Conflagration_Planet

Very good.

Conflagration_Planet

What happened to Woodshover?

AndyClifton

You mean the fake one?

AndyClifton

Evan Hu

showed up to say

"hi" "no" or "?"

then went away

AndyClifton

Evan attempts his first novel.

chessnaivete

Thank God I have an average IQ otherwise I would hate Jews. LOL

indurain
Conflagration_Planet wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:

Bobby, with

your big IQ

how'd you become

a Nazi Jew?

Because he was nuts.

I disagree that Fischer was nuts.

Bobby always had "an enemy". In his earlier years it was "the Russians" or "the Commies". This enemy identity then morphed in to "the Jews". I've read all that there is to read about Fischer from first edition books nearly 50 years old to modern books and it is clear that only in his later life did Bobby resort to attacking "the Jews and the Holocaust industry".

Conflagration_Planet
indurain wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:

Bobby, with

your big IQ

how'd you become

a Nazi Jew?

Because he was nuts.

Bobby always had "an enemy". In his earlier years it was "the Russians" or "the Commies". This enemy identity then morphed in to "the Jews". I've read all that there is to read about Fischer from first edition books nearly 50 years old to modern books and it is clear that only in his later life did Bobby resort to attacking "the Jews and the Holocaust industry".

He donated something like $70,000.00 to a church that was preaching that they had the inside scoop on when Jesus was going to return. When he didn't, poor Bobby was really pissed.

indurain
indurain wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:

Bobby, with

your big IQ

how'd you become

a Nazi Jew?

Because he was nuts.

He donated something like $70,000.00 to a church that was preaching that they had the inside scoop on when Jesus was going to return. When he didn't, poor Bobby was really pissed.

there was a quid pro quo arrangement between Bobby and that Church. As I understand it Fischer got to live there rent free for example.

cjwalker

Been away for a while... First off, I like Andy's poems.

Second, it is entirely true that IQ tests break down when faced with extraodinary levels of intelligence. But what is the "intelligence quotient" anyway- how can one say "when faced with extraodinary levels of intelligence"? A circular argument if ever I saw one. Basically IQ counts for sweet fuck all in the grand scheme of things, as long as you attain a minimum score.

In outliers, IQ levels from mentally handicapped all the way to genius are discussed. A higher IQ commonly results in more education, more money, and a longer life. A popular myth is the higher your IQ score, the better chance you have of winning, let’s say, the Nobel Prize. This is not actually true. Obviously there is on average a minimum IQ for those that win this prize. However, once you reach a minimum level genius IQ, you have as much a chance to win a Nobel Prize as a high level genius IQ.

The Harvard student admissions process is also brought into question in this chapter. In the year 2008, Harvard only accepted 1,600 out of 27,462 applicants. That number is far less than the number of applicants who scored perfect on their SAT’s or those who were number one in their high school graduating class. The truth of Harvard genius is obviously skewed with so many eligible applicants not being considered, especially when we take note that any genius level IQ and above have the same opportunity for achievement.

The issue of Affirmative Action is also mentioned. The law school at the University of Michigan performed a case study on students accepted to the school based on this policy. More leniency is provided to minority groups or those from less fortunate backgrounds to allow them an equal opportunity at education. They may have lower test scores than normal applicants, but are still within the minimum level genius IQ. When the school looked at all aspects of the lives of its graduates, it found no major disparities between the Affirmative Action applicants, and the regular applicants.

The only question is.. Do you have the minimum genius IQ level?

“Knowledge of a boy’s IQ is of little help if you are faced with a formful of clever boys.”

AndyClifton

Uh-oh, more studies...hey, maybe I'm a minimal genius after all. Smile

k9p

are iq scores increasing because humans are getting more intelligent or because we use more abstract thinking to navigte the modern world than our localised ancestors,

2. Find the answer that best completes the analogy

people : democracy :: wealthy :

A. oligarchy
B. oligopoly
C. plutocracy
D. timocracy
E. autocracy

Correct answer: plutocracy

my grandfather would have replied this is all good and well

but none of this will get the cows milked and without the milk we starve to death and dead people dont vote, except in a puppet state

so less of the stupid questions and do some work

AndyClifton
k9p wrote:

my grandfather would have replied this is all good and well

but none of this will get the cows milked and without the milk we starve to death and dead people dont vote, except in a puppet state

Hey, that's getting personal!

BaronDerKilt

Talent: The presence of varied abilities that collectively result in superior performance of one's endeavor

Pawnpusher3

Fischer was a chess genius. He had talent