Forums

How to get titles like FM, IM, NM, GM

Sort:
steinitz_attack

Hi

1RedKnight99

I think you should just try to get better. You need to be really good to get CM (2200 FIDE I think) and your rating on here is 1700.

steinitz_attack
[COMMENT DELETED]
ivandh

Bribery?

VanillaKnightPOC

You could try buying a title, I've heard of that working in the past.

finalunpurez

PLay fide rated tournaments. I think thats the only way!

ivandh

You can also become a BM (Bongcloud Master).

steinitz_attack

LOL CM means Candidate Master

maxmix69

http://zibbit64.blogspot.sg/2010/12/curious-case-of-alexandru-crisan.html

steinitz_attack

I know if you won some tournament can give a title that is right?

MoonlessNight

what the others (except ivandh and powerlevel) is true. you need to improve your rating to 2000 fide or 2200 USCF.

Drawyah

CM = Candidate Master. 2000-2199 USCF. USCF promoted this title years ago instead of Expert, but it never caught on.

FM = FIDE Master. Honorary title given masters for scoring well per FIDE guidelines . For me, back in the 80's, I had to score over 60% against title players in three separate events, facing a minimum of titled player in each event. The events had to be within a couple years. I played in a couple round robin events in Minneapolis, and I played in two Midwest Masters in Chicago.

IM = International Master. Same as FM but the performance requirements are tougher. (I have an ICCF IM title where I had to score well but in correspondence chess. Somewhat the same.)

GM = Grandmaster. Requires a higher rating (> 2400 maybe >2450) and with yet even tougher performance requirements.

Larry Kaufman got his GM title by winning the World Senior Chess Championship, so there are exceptions in how one can obtain a title. But usually it takes playing in several events of the right type, and then scoring well.

steinitz_attack

That is the answer than i was looking for, thanks a lot FM Drawyah !    Cool  A very complete answer.

charlieweiler

You can buy a CM title? Like publically? Ivandh said bribery, but that's frowned  upon...

johnmusacha

Actually, the bribery route is pretty common in the chess world.  Not with the USCF or FIDE, but the title "National Master" can be bought for a price.  Just find some small, pliable, third-world country where chess is not much of a tradition (think Liberia or the Cote d'Ivoire) and bribe some minister to charter a national chess federation there "modelled" on the USCF but native to that particular nation.  Then for a price they will award you a "National Master" title.  It's really no different than buying into the English peerage. 

Conflagration_Planet

In order to be a CM, you have to be a ceramic maker.

steinitz_attack

I do not believe in that stuff, besides that the comment seems such offensive and unpleasant. The Drawyah FM response is the one I was looking for, and do not need to hear more, thank you very much to all.

Conflagration_Planet
Drawyah wrote:

CM = Candidate Master. 2000-2199 USCF. USCF promoted this title years ago instead of Expert, but it never caught on.

FM = FIDE Master. Honorary title given masters for scoring well per FIDE guidelines . For me, back in the 80's, I had to score over 60% against title players in three separate events, facing a minimum of titled player in each event. The events had to be within a couple years. I played in a couple round robin events in Minneapolis, and I played in two Midwest Masters in Chicago.

IM = International Master. Same as FM but the performance requirements are tougher. (I have an ICCF IM title where I had to score well but in correspondence chess. Somewhat the same.)

GM = Grandmaster. Requires a higher rating (> 2400 maybe >2450) and with yet even tougher performance requirements.

Larry Kaufman got his GM title by winning the World Senior Chess Championship, so there are exceptions in how one can obtain a title. But usually it takes playing in several events of the right type, and then scoring well.

I thought GM required 2500.

johnmusacha

You're from Mexico.  That's one of the countries in which you could probably pull this scheme off!

steinitz_attack

This is the most insulting I've heard