Forums

Humpy Koneru makes +2600!

Sort:
Patzer24

On Monday Humpy Koneru hit the 2600 level and becomes classified as a "Super Grand Master". She now becomes the 2nd rated woman in the world after Judith Polgar.

Here is the feature article: http://www.hindu.com/2007/08/21/stories/2007082158930200.htm

Congratulations to Humpy Koneru for reaching the 2600 level! 

Nilesh021
Wow she's idian yay!
Nilesh021
I meant Indian
Akuni

Congrats to Koneru, I think that makes her not only current second highest, but second highest in history.

Also I thought that super-grandmasters were 2700+, but it's not a real title so I guess you can say it's whatever you want it to be...

I want it to be 1700!!!!!!!!

Artemij2009

Nilesh021 пишет:

Wow she's idian yay!

впврраооволвлаолу

Artemij2009

Artemij2009 пишет:

Nilesh021 пишет:

Wow she's idian yay!

впврраооволвлаолу

срврввмвтв вьтвттвт

wollyhood

Yes wonderful!  congratulations to her, and all the other chess women that continue to get better. Sorry to edit this but I see I had confused my open tabs and the question I asked seemed to relate only to Judit Polgar.

AlisonHart

So I think you're conflating a couple of different stories: Judit Polgar beat Bobby Fischer's record to become the world's youngest Grandmaster (hence the title of her first book "How I Beat Bobby Fischer's Record"). But her record was beaten by Alejandro Ramirez in the 90s, and his record has been beaten a couple of different times in the last 2 decades (all boys, unfortunately). 

Humpy Koneru is one of the world's strongest women. Since this thread was created (11 years ago!), she's dropped to the 2550 range, but several other female GMs have come up through the ranks, most notably the Muzychuk sisters - Anna and Mariya - of Ukraine, Alexandra Kosteniuk (Russian), and - at the top - two Chinese women Hou Yifan (the only woman above 2700) and Ju Wenjun.

As for who's the youngest WGM ever, it's not something people are all that interested in (as WGMs are considered 'weak' by the chess playing public). A quick google shows that Zhansaya Abdumalik got her WGM at the age of 12 which - in 2012 - was the youngest. But there very well could have been someone younger. 

I actually have a thread going in an attempt to get more people interested in women's game and women's accomplishments (It's called "Awesome Chicks You've Never Heard of"), and the most recent game I wrote about happened to be one by.....Zhansaya Abdumalik! 

wollyhood
AlisonHart wrote:

So I think you're conflating a couple of different stories: Judit Polgar beat Bobby Fischer's record to become the world's youngest Grandmaster (hence the title of her first book "How I Beat Bobby Fischer's Record"). But her record was beaten by Alejandro Ramirez in the 90s, and his record has been beaten a couple of different times in the last 2 decades (all boys, unfortunately). 

Humpy Koneru is one of the world's strongest women. Since this thread was created (11 years ago!), she's dropped to the 2550 range, but several other female GMs have come up through the ranks, most notably the Muzychuk sisters - Anna and Mariya - of Ukraine, Alexandra Kosteniuk (Russian), and - at the top - two Chinese women Hou Yifan (the only woman above 2700) and Ju Wenjun.

As for who's the youngest WGM ever, it's not something people are all that interested in (as WGMs are considered 'weak' by the chess playing public). A quick google shows that Zhansaya Abdumalik got her WGM at the age of 12 which - in 2012 - was the youngest. But there very well could have been someone younger. 

I actually have a thread going in an attempt to get more people interested in women's game and women's accomplishments (It's called "Awesome Chicks You've Never Heard of"), and the most recent game I wrote about happened to be one by.....Zhansaya Abdumalik! 

Thanks for responding, yes I had crossed up my tabs somehow you'll see I edited the post.

Will look up Abdumalik also.

Hehe. how sublime to Drop to 2550! I will seek out your thread, we have chessy females in my family XD

ChrisWainscott
Hou Yifan is not, and never has been, over 2700.

Only Judit has done so.
autobunny

http://pogonina.com/index.php?id=815&option=com_content&task=view