Forums

Improving from 1600 to 2000 goal

Sort:
dhuxul

Hello, ☺
I am Omar, a chess player from Somalia currently rated around 1650. Appreciate if you could help me pin point to a few insights on how I can get to 2000 rating ceilling(ESPECIAL ADVICE FROM CHESS EXPERTS)

A year ago, I was stagnated around 1400 and had unpruned assymetrical basic chess knowledge and theory(i would fluctuate up and down at the time). I had come to conclusion that the following things helped me to improve from 1400 to 1600:

1_(consistency and narrow repartoire) with analysis_using aftergame analaysis engine, i.e Analyse this, of my games to perfect my narrow repartoire openings-to be specific i use as white The london System and Zukertort to be solid and Hangarian defence, Ruy lopez as black most of the time. and I thus stabalized and improved practically.

2_secondly intiutively(as white) and objectively (as black)wait for my oppenents to make mistakes and capitalize on that. p.s: I survive well into middle games by equalizing*as black* and at times with the initiative*as white* and I keep on playing as i wait on the oppenant to errand.

3. finally, I am good at endgame, with most times up the exchange a piece, with net pawn, passed pawn or lost on time due to connection problems.

Conclusively,I am interested in advice and insights from players above 2000 elo rated(practical aspects, chess psychology and improvement tips on from 1600 to 1600)

web14

asalamo alaikum brother !

i am not an expert but have been reading on how to improve . i found that to improve you have to improve your THINKING SYSTEM . get these books  " think like GM  - by kotov"    and       " the improving chess thinker- by Dan " .i think you will find useful advice in these books  .

thegreat_patzer

my chess coach is Obsessively preaching the "rules" of chess analysis given my kotov.

I don't know how you feel about it.  but these are VERY simple rules.  perhaps playing higher level chess is about being very consistant NOT to miss simple positional advantages and Tactics.

ofc I'm NOT the expert, but my coach is.   so my main point is to just to agree with Web and recommend the " think like GM -by Kotov" system.  its been helpful to me. 

adumbrate

It is very easy. Get information from videos, chess mentor, tactics and it will come automatically. The important thing is that you keep getting new info, not just playing.

dhuxul

Thanks guys who gave their honest ideas, i read my system, i personally found it as the basis of my chess understanding. but here i have specific to 'consistency' and 'improvement' from 1600 to 2000. i tried 'think like a grandmaster' and found it sophisticated for the provided level of performance. i therefore, kindly want a sincere more indepth advice on such as practical, psychology in chess, and training regimens(required to be around 2000 range) and ways to achieve that for specificity insights

thegreat_patzer

well, dhuxul  you just might have to talk to a coach for those more specific, indepth advice.

consider- how many people have the 2000 (and are willing to spend time giving your lots of advice) and how difficult it would be to generically give you advice, when you mastering most of the simple stuff!

I know I don't have enough rating to prove this; but sometime I suspect being 2000 means just having a mastery of all the simple stuff.  ESPACIALLAY the endgame.   the few chess players in my club at that rating- LOVE the endgame and will pass up winning (but complicated) combinations to get into a simple but clearly won endgame.

dhuxul

i found the following link related to this,

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-players/difference-between-1600-and-2000-rated-players?page=1

in the meanwhile, thoughts from expert chess players are welcome

dhuxul

great idea@thegreat_patzer, unfortunately i can not afford a coach at the moment, but that is the best way ahead tho, still if senoirs throw here 1 or 2 things  i can work on them and improve with time, even used to be 1400 months ago and improved by consistency and narrow reportoire.

A senoirs' insights are gold standard for improvement 

BronsteinPawn

adumbrate is right. You need to keep new info comming. 

Usually chess players improve by getting tons of info and then, digesting it.

You put a lot of info into your brain, and you may not see improvement, but if you keep adding more info, playing and analyzing sooner or later something will just make click in your brain and everything you have studied will make sense. 

I dont know how you play, but guessing by your rating I would recommend you to get a good book on strategy and keep focusing on tactics.

Pachman's Strategy book may be helpful, and Chesstempo.com should also be helpful, you should try and do an hour of tactics each day to stay sharp, learn new patterns and improve your calculation. The Winning Chess Series also sounds good, Winning Chess Strategies should be considered.

There are many good books on endgames, have you red Capablancas 60 Best chess endings by Chernev? 

Basically, practice tactics, play LONG games, and not only find your mistakes, but ask yourself, "why did I make the mistake, what was I thinking?, what is the correct way of thinking to avoid these mistakes?" and dont forget to read books! 

Sounds pretty basic, but if you keep studying, sooner or later as I said everything will make sense and your strenght and rating will go up.

urk

My advice is to enjoy playing over classic games from before the year 1940 for about an hour a day. This by itself will make you a real chessplayer.

Also, start working on hashing out a complete opening repertoire for White and Black that doesn't have any holes in it. You don't want to be caught by surprise in a tournament.

Struggling with this will be a daunting task but it will help your game greatly. Every opening has its pros and cons. You don't have to play mainline openings but you should know what they are and when you are deviating.

Do not play any blitz games.

Do not waste any time with Tactics Trainer. That's bullsh*t.

Good luck

Diakonia

Play people better than you.

Review and analyze your games.

Tactics...tactics...tactics...

Have a solid understanding of the openings you play.

Be willing to play out games to the end, instead of offering/accepting draws.  

Know basic K+P chess endings by heart.

Know how to develop a solid middlegame plan, and how to execute it.

BlackDeathRising

Hey Urk, not to challenge you, just wondering, what's wrong with the tactics trainer? I was really hoping it would help me, can you explain the downside? 

Karpark

I remember when I was young (I am old now) and stuck at your stage, Omar. What helped me most was reading Pachman's superb Complete Chess Strategy (three volumes), mentioned above. It is also now in print in an abridged single volume titled Modern Chess Strategy. After reading that I improved very quickly and I became a much stronger player. The only problem with the book is that it is still only available in the old descriptive notation which was characteristic of English language chess books up to the mid 1970s. If you can get past that (and descriptive isn't hard to learn) it is perhaps the very best there is out there.

As BronsteinPawn, urk and others have noted, it is important to work on endgames (the Capablanca suggestion is a good one; Keres's Practical chess endings is great too) and work through great games of the past as played by the likes of Alekhine, Capablanca, Fischer, Bronstein, Rubinstein, etc. Look for the ones which are well annotated. The world's greatest chess games by Burgess, Nunn and Emms is a good collection. This is a really good way to learn.

Don't get too fixated on learning reams of stuff on opening variations but try to get an overall understanding of the principles of the major openings while developing your own repetoire, chosen to meet your particular tastes. Understanding the general principles and themes of these is more important at this stage than memorizing hundreds of variations.

Finally, try to play opponents who are stronger than you from whom you may learn, analyze your games afterwards (especially the ones you lost), and try to play with classical time controls and not blitz or bullet. After over the board games you have recorded, win or lose, invite your opponents to look over the game with you, and accept their invitations to do the same. You can learn a lot by seeing how your thought processes engage with those of your opponents through mutually cooperative post-game analysis. Enjoy your chess and have fun. 

DR_Jesus123

I believe the constant issue that arises in situations such as this,are people are not willing to study hard,and utilise their potential,also,they seem to have the wrong mindset.

Karpark

That's true, DR _Jesus123, but but I sense that the OP is very serious. I'm not sure how readily available chess books are in Somalia, so he may be fairly dependent on on-line resources.

Karpark
Karpark wrote:

That's true, DR _Jesus123, but but I sense that the OP is very serious hence my lengthy response. I'm not sure how readily available chess books are in Somalia, so he may be fairly dependent on on-line resources.

urk
The OP messaged me asking me to give some input on this thread, so I did.