In your opinion, who is the greatest player of all time?

Axashverosh
This is a question that we always ask, we will never reach consensus, 
but we can all have our favorite,
who do you consider the best chess player of all time?
marcoag123
Bobby F!
Axashverosh
marcoag123 escreveu:
Bobby F!

Exactly the same opinion as mine, too bad he didn't play for so long!
Los_Tenyos_Magpie

Is chess 99% tactics?

LaryMulya

1. Kasparov

2. Carlsen

3. Kramnik

Runsub4

Alekhine

EvieTheEevee

My personal favorite is GM Akobian

Axashverosh
Los_Tenyos_Magpie escreveu:

Is chess 99% tactics?

Certainly not!
Axashverosh
LaryMulya escreveu:

1. Kasparov

2. Carlsen

3. Kramnik

Nice list, but wouldn't you add Fischer or Tal instead of Kramnik?
Axashverosh
Ken_Ken0510 escreveu:

Alekhine

Goo dchoice!
Axashverosh
EvieTheEevee escreveu:

My personal favorite is GM Akobian

I don't know him yet, but I will look at some matches of him, do you have any suggestions?
ESP-918

Definitely Magnus Carlsen 

Bobby Fischer was great , just because he learned more then his opponents  (opening theory especially ) from books of course, so he read more books and he was more prepared, he even read Russian books as well , which other GMs could not, so my point is he knew more then the others could.

Now days every one (2750+) knows theory and can do pretty much ANY research on ANY openings, so when Magnus plays he knows more or sometimes even less theory yes yes don't be surprised, his opening theory is not as advanced researched compare to Kramnik for example or Anand, but he still comes up as a tip player and outplays everyone!  

Too some this up Fischer was great because his opening theory was much better then the others (of course he was great besides just that ) and Magnus is pure talent different level.

Axashverosh
ESP-918 escreveu:

Bobby Fischer was great , just because he learned more then his opponents  (opening theory especially ) from books of course, so he read more books and he was more prepared, he even read Russian books as well , which other GMs could not, so my point is he knew more then the others could.

Now days every one (2750+) knows theory and can do pretty much ANY research on ANY openings, so when Magnus plays he knows more or sometimes even less theory yes yes don't be surprised, his opening theory is not as advanced researched compare to Kramnik for example or Anand, but he still comes up as a tip player and outplays everyone!  

Too some this up Fischer was great because his opening theory was much better then the others (of course he was great besides just that ) and Magnus is pure talent different level.

Excellent opinion, but I still think Fischer better,
it is true that in his day it was much more difficult to access the
theoretical news, and he excelled at studying more than his opponents,
but the merit is his!
Runsub4
ESP-918 wrote:

Fischer was well prepared and well read on the subject, but aside from that he was one of the greatest tacticians to ever live. This combined with his refusal to accept a draw, a true competitor, puts him on a completely different level than any of today’s Champions. And to think he did it with out databases and chess engines.

I heard a story that during a modern tournament the two players where in a rather difficult position when a phone call came into the studio from a man claiming to be Fischer. He claimed white wins with, and rattled of a series of combinations.

I think the two players agreed to a draw but not sure, anyway after the match they went back and analysis the line. Sure enough white had a winning line. No one saw tactics like Fischer.

donnelleraeburn

100% magnus charlsen and anish giri, because if those two wanna draw a game. They will draw, they are draw masters, mostly anish giri, Hikaru is also good, all 3 tied

Runsub4
Axashverosh wrote:
Ken_Ken0510 escreveu:

Alekhine

Goo dchoice!

Has to be Alekhine, who else can win a world championship game drunk. My hands down favorite. Love the guy.

Axashverosh
Ken_Ken0510 escreveu:
ESP-918 wrote:

Fischer was well prepared and well read on the subject, but aside from that he was one of the greatest tacticians to ever live. This combined with his refusal to accept a draw, a true competitor, puts him on a completely different level than any of today’s Champions. And to think he did it with out databases and chess engines.

I heard a story that during a modern tournament the two players where in a rather difficult position when a phone call came into the studio from a man claiming to be Fischer. He claimed white wins with, and rattled of a series of combinations.

I think the two players agreed to a draw but not sure, anyway after the match they went back and analysis the line. Sure enough white had a winning line. No one saw tactics like Fischer.

Perfect, as I said, a big loss for chess Fischer did not continue to play,
but he was certainly a player beyond his time, Carlsen is fantastic,
but Fischer was from another planet!
Axashverosh
donnelleraeburn escreveu:

100% magnus charlsen and anish giri, because if those two wanna draw a game. They will draw, they are draw masters, mostly anish giri, Hikaru is also good, all 3 tied

I respect your opinion
An_asparagusic_acid

Stockfish 

Axashverosh
Ken_Ken0510 escreveu:
Axashverosh wrote:
Ken_Ken0510 escreveu:

Alekhine

Goo dchoice!

Has to be Alekhine, who else can win a world championship game drunk. My hands down favorite. Love the guy.

Was he better drunk or sober? kk