In your opinion, who is the greatest player of all time?

Axashverosh
chesschesskid escreveu:

That alphazero player he always plays the move suggested by the computer. he might be cheating

I did not understand
Axashverosh
chesschesskid escreveu:

in seriousness, i think magnus carlsen is the best overall

Good!

Kingsgam

Fischer of course. he took on the R machine. he's like the Gretzky of chess

Steven-ODonoghue

I think that Joseph Henry Blackburne is the greatest of all time.

SwimmerBill
Steven-ODonoghue wrote:

I think that Joseph Henry Blackburne is the greatest of all time.

He certainly had the best nickname and maybe even the best beard!

Egkninja

Magnus of course!

Lc0_1

Hikaru

Runsub4

I would like to change my answer after some consideration. My new answer is probably Magnus Carlsen. 

Let me explain. In the day Morphy the greatest and he provided a lot of new knowledge to the game. Then cam Steinz and he added to the game - accumulation of small advantages.

Then comes Alekhine (yes I know I missed a few people in this jump) -- who learns from the greats before him, and adds to the game. This continues through out time as Fischer learns from all the greats before him and then adds to the game. 

Magnus is the greatest because he has taken the lessons of all the previous and internalized them -> then added to the game.

If all the so called greats could have one big tournament. Magnus would win, only because of where he lies in the history of chess theory. Fischer would probably still give him a good run for his money.

jerrickzhang

Paul didn't even play very well, probably couldn't take on any GM in the world (except the ded ones, then again he is ded too). he played mainly for his family cuz' way back when, chess was a gambler's sport, the best players in the world had legit jobs and didn't play for a living, Paul also didn't have much incentive since his family was rich. I could go on lecturing you tho. feel free to delete my message, lol

neverherebefore

Paul Morphy

NamNam2019ishKnight

1. Carlsen

2. Fischer

3. Kasparov

4. Tal

5. Morphy

Runsub4
NamNam2019ishKnight wrote:

1. Carlsen

2. Fischer

3. Kasparov

4. Tal

5. Morphy

Alekhine must go above Morphy, and maybe even Tal. One and two are a given.

Phylo-Beddo

there could have been some really good players in the time of Atlantis that we haven’t heard of.

jerrickzhang

maybe

ihammes

I have a Kasparov vs the world t-shirt.  But there was this guy named Bobby Fischer and his bishops.  Too bad he lost his mind.

Egkninja
NamNam2019ishKnight wrote:

1. Carlsen

2. Fischer

3. Kasparov

4. Tal

5. Morphy

I think switch Kasparov and Fischer.But that's just my opinion.

Egkninja
Axashverosh wrote:
chesschesskid escreveu:

in seriousness, i think magnus carlsen is the best overall

Good!

I agree.

Jacobshinn

I would say Mikhail Tal. He is a crazy attacking genius at chess!

Steven-ODonoghue

I agree with the OP's post but just switch carlsen with Blackburne

Kingsgam

what is the best source for Fischer's mind losing period? if someone is highly intelligent, they won't see the world like a mean hugger. mean huggers are the anti - social ones, as they don't like anyone different, and say they are an normal, have a hard time with life. this might be made worse, when mean huggers are more privileged. being highly intelligent is hard, not many to connect to. mean huggers write the pysch books, sans scientific challenge. thus the non mean huggers are actually the social ones, dealing with the ignorant masses. you have to understand both sides. being in a herd is easy. understanding the power of the ignorant herd as an intelligent person could be maddening. or seem maddening