Left-handed GMs


  • 23 months ago · Quote · #81

    The_Ghostess_Lola

    (Jrmld) Actually I would think most chess players are right handed because chess demands logic, not creativity. That is why a lot of artists are left handed because they are more creative. That is also why most people are right handed because it takes logic to function properly during the day.

    Are you sure ?....Smile....

  • 23 months ago · Quote · #82

    Jrmld

    The_Ghostess_Lola wrote:

    (Jrmld) Actually I would think most chess players are right handed because chess demands logic, not creativity. That is why a lot of artists are left handed because they are more creative. That is also why most people are right handed because it takes logic to function properly during the day.

    Are you sure ?........

    About what?

  • 23 months ago · Quote · #83

    Irontiger

    Jrmld wrote:

    Actually I would think most chess players are right handed because chess demands logic, not creativity. That is why a lot of artists are left handed because they are more creative. That is also why most people are right handed because it takes logic to function properly during the day.  

    That is, if you ascribe to the left/right brain = creativity/logic theory that none of the available research supports. (If you want some links, just ask - I have the weakness to believe google can work fine).

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #84

    thechesschanakya

    there are 2 GMs who play with left hand

    Controversially 

    • Kasparov is lefty

    when u c him playing deep blue match he moved with left hand

    • Mikhail Tal(he held his cigarette in his left hand)
    • Vladimir Kramnik(he always holds his tea cup in left hand)

    and to the worst part

    even i am a lefty and not a GM

    Yell

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #85

    isayoldboy

    Went back to the beginning of this thread and saw that it's truly a vintage one indeed. At seven years old, it's almost as stale as the left brain/right brain theory, lol.

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #86

    sirrichardburton

    lol... I honestly don't think you know the first thing about it (Jrmid). To begin with since left handers are only about 10% of the population of course there will be more right handed chess players (or nearly any other catagory you want to pick). But percentage-wise left-handers come out way ahead in nearly all areas of achievement. As far as why people are left-handed they really don't know. It seems to be a marker that indicates that something is different about the person (both good or bad). There is a higher percentage of geniuses who are left-handed BUT there is also a higher percentage of left-handers who are morons. There are a large number of grandmasters who are left-handed and i doubt if anyone would say these people have no logic. (yes btw i am left-handed as well).

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #87

    Irontiger

    sirrichardburton wrote:

    (...) But percentage-wise left-handers come out way ahead in nearly all areas of achievement. (...). There is a higher percentage of geniuses who are left-handed BUT there is also a higher percentage of left-handers who are morons. (...)

    [CITATION NEEDED]

  • 6 months ago · Quote · #88

    boworl

    The truth about left handedness. Bobby Fischer was right handed. The population over the world was, before the dark ages, was about even left handed and right handed. Then a famine was blamed on left handed people. It was open season on lefties. From recall, approximately 20 % of the population is lefty. I am right handed dominate, but am equally skilled in some areas left handed. Right handed people that lose the right hand/arm, can adapt in a few months. Communication of the hemispheres is done, for the most part, through the corpus callosum. Eisenstein had an unusually large corpus callosum, he is thought to have had superior hemisphere communication. In the words of Rodney Monroe, star basketball player @ NCSU: "I can go left, I can go right, I am amphibious. He later explained: paraphrasing "I thought everybody knew about ambidextrous, I can go left or right, but on land sea and air too! I can do it all baby"

  • 8 weeks ago · Quote · #89

    Jrmld

    sirrichardburton wrote:

    lol... I honestly don't think you know the first thing about it (Jrmid). To begin with since left handers are only about 10% of the population of course there will be more right handed chess players (or nearly any other catagory you want to pick). But percentage-wise left-handers come out way ahead in nearly all areas of achievement. As far as why people are left-handed they really don't know. It seems to be a marker that indicates that something is different about the person (both good or bad). There is a higher percentage of geniuses who are left-handed BUT there is also a higher percentage of left-handers who are morons. There are a large number of grandmasters who are left-handed and i doubt if anyone would say these people have no logic. (yes btw i am left-handed as well).

    Never said lefties have no logic, its just that the hemisphere that correlates with right handedness is more related with logical thinking. That being said that doesn't mean right handed people have no creativity either.

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #90

    UseWithCare

    Learn to play the piano and you'll no longer ask anyone what it's like to use both hands skilfully. 

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #91

    Flight11

    I once injured my left hand.. I asked my doctor if I would be able to play the piano when it recovered. He said there would be no reason why not. Great I said, as I could not play it before the injury.

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #92

    KennethTanPteLtd

    Is Magnus Carlsen left handed?
  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #93

    Irontiger

    Jrmld wrote:

    Never said lefties have no logic, its just that the hemisphere that correlates with right handedness is more related with logical thinking (...)

    [CITATION NEEDED]

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #94

    aina0

    Levon Aronian pushes the pieces with his left hand, not sure if he is a left-hander though.


Back to Top

Post your reply: