What are and which is highest IM or NM or FM or CM?

wingame52

I know GM. but what are others like NM, FM, CM and whose is rated higher? thanks!

wingame52
[COMMENT DELETED]
Jenium

CM: Surely this guy ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxAeFd6HU7M

Pulpofeira

I think NM is a title given by national federations, so it would be parallel to CM. Here it doesn't exist.

madhacker

NM is the odd one out in that list because it's awarded by the USCF, whilst the others are awarded by FIDE. So you could be a NM but not a CM, or a CM but not an NM. One isn't higher than the other, they are based on different rating systems.

ed1975
madhacker wrote:

NM is the odd one out in that list because it's awarded by the USCF, whilst the others are awarded by FIDE. So you could be a NM but not a CM, or a CM but not an NM. One isn't higher than the other, they are based on different rating systems.

Yup!

Reb
mn79 wrote:

This is correct, but generally speaking, CM requires 2200 FIDE, which seems to be somewhat more difficult to obtain than the 2200 national rating required for NM. 

I am an NM ( of 2 countries ) and over 2200 FIDE which entitles me to the CM title as well . The titles NM and CM are roughly equivalent , I assure you . 

madhacker
Reb wrote:
mn79 wrote:

This is correct, but generally speaking, CM requires 2200 FIDE, which seems to be somewhat more difficult to obtain than the 2200 national rating required for NM. 

I am an NM ( of 2 countries ) and over 2200 FIDE which entitles me to the CM title as well . The titles NM and CM are roughly equivalent , I assure you . 

Just out of interest, why did you claim the NM but not the CM? Is CM hardly worth having?

keisyzrk
madhacker wrote:
Reb wrote:
mn79 wrote:

This is correct, but generally speaking, CM requires 2200 FIDE, which seems to be somewhat more difficult to obtain than the 2200 national rating required for NM. 

I am an NM ( of 2 countries ) and over 2200 FIDE which entitles me to the CM title as well . The titles NM and CM are roughly equivalent , I assure you . 

Just out of interest, why did you claim the NM but not the CM? Is CM hardly worth having?

I also have a fide over 2200, but the NM title is free, and the CM title is not.

madhacker

Aha. Just looked it up, 50 euros. Surely you would get that back with interest in the form of discounted entry into tournaments though?

keisyzrk

 I will make a better list.

1.GM 2500 fide-3 GM norms

2.IM 2400 fide-3 IM norms

3.WGM 2350 fide-3 WGM norms

4.FM 2300 fide

5.WIM 2250 fide-3 WIM norms

6.CM 2200 fide

7.NM 2200 national rating (sometimes norms sometimes not.)

8.WCM 2000 fide

10.WNM I have no idea, but my friend claims it's real. so 2000 national? idk.

keisyzrk
madhacker wrote:

Aha. Just looked it up, 50 euros. Surely you would get that back with interest in the form of discounted entry into tournaments though?

Nope.

madhacker

Fair enough. I'll probably still claim it if I ever get to 2200 though, just for the sake of having a title and feeling big and important grin.png

Reb

I didnt claim the CM title because I didnt want to pay for it and I already had the NM title . In many cases the national federation of a player will pay the fee to fide for fide titles , especially IM and GM . If the national federation won't pay the player has to pay . 

mingyangzhang5910

lol

Recolor
IM is highest i think
Recolor

GM is 2600 OTB

Reb

GM requires 2500 OTB not 2600 .

SNUDOO

IM > NM

FM > CM

Recolor

oh whoops