Forums

3 Dimensional Cubic Chess 8x8x8 Board

Sort:
EndgameEnthusiast2357

True, even on the first move both sides have..well let's see..

2 possible pawn moves for each of the 64 pawns, = 128 pawn moves. Next we have the 20 knights, each with 8 possible upwards moves jumping over the pawn, so 160 possible knight moves.

128+160= 288 possible first moves for each side, so

288 X 288 =82,944 positions after the first move, that's quite a thick opening book lol

Nordlandia

Here it's possible to get a feel of 3D chess. https://www.chessvariants.com/play/jocly/raumschach

By the way the knight is quite strong as it can reach 24 squares from the center of the board.

Is it possible to place 8 queen inside a 8x8x8 cube without any threatens each other.

EndgameEnthusiast2357
Nordlandia wrote:

Here it's possible to get a feel of 3D chess. https://www.chessvariants.com/play/jocly/raumschach

By the way the knight is quite strong as it can reach 24 squares from the center of the board.

Is it possible to place 8 queen inside a 8x8x8 cube without any threatens each other.

In my version the knight guards 48 cubes. 24 cubes via a 2d 2-1 L movement, and another 24 via a 2-1-1 L movement. Remember 3d movements are added on top of the increased number of "flat moves". They don't replace any of them. The rook is the only piece that movement ability doesn't increase geometrically, as it is is always the number of dimensions times 7, as it always moves in a 1 dimensional line regardless of the board dimensionality.

Obviously if 8 queens can be placed on a 2d board without threatening each other, they can even more easily be placed an an 8x8x8 board without doing so. The real challenge is can you place 64 queens on an 8x8x8 board without any two threatening each other on any rank, file, vertical file, diagonal within any plane or 3 dimensional diagonal!

Nordlandia

It doesn't work. 64 queen within 512 cubes does not work. They cover too much. It must be much less than 64

EndgameEnthusiast2357

What I read was that 64 queens can work on a 512 cube board as long as 3d diagonals are not included. If the only criteria is that the 8 queens on any given 8x8 cross section plane are independent, it qualifies. But it is interesting to know if a solution exists that does include 3d diagonals, or a mathematical proof as to why that's impossible..etc.

EndgameEnthusiast2357

https://users.monash.edu/~lloyd/tildeAlgDS/Recn/Queens3D/

Gabriel_Velasquez
Nordlandia wrote:

It doesn't work. 64 queen within 512 cubes does not work. They cover too much. It must be much less than 64

Another reasonable, reasoning, and rational person, Hello. I stopped wasting my time arguing with him, he isn't listening, this fantasy of a chess game he is promoting is not playable, he's just seeking fame in creating something grandiose.

He has stated that 3D chess is not physically playable because the pieces can not move through the solid physical board, that should tell you something. His main false argument starts with the idea that a real cube chess chessboard should be 8x8x8, 512 cells, and if you read on the subject you'll notice reasonable people who discuss this are willing to admit it isn't playable.

I see you also pointed him to the online playable Raumschach site, but he won't play it, as I already said he just wants his delusional grandiose fantasy.

"EndgameEnthusiast2357 wrote: Actually, 3d diagonal bishop moves work differently with the colors. Every 1-cube movement along a 3d diagonal changes color (1,1,1 to 2,2,2 for example), but that movement still only gives it access to half the board, despite having access to both colors. But yes, 2d "edge" diagonal moves stay on the same color regardless because they only occur in one horizontal or vertical plane at a time." *This is where you said the bishops can change cube colors when they move.