Gungi 軍儀 - dax00 vs icositetrachoron

dax00

This is a version of gungi, the game played in Hunter×Hunter, to be played between dax00 and @icositetrachoron . The ruleset used can be found here. For ease of reference, I have copied over the movement diagrams. I have changed the names of some of the pieces as translated on the linked page, both to be more accurate and to make notation easier.

Master (M) 1×

Staff (St) 2×... promotes to  Gun (g) Samurai (S) 2×...promotes to  Pike (p)者 Ninja (N) 3×... promotes to  Officer (o)砲 Cannon (C) 1×砦 Fortress (F) 1×Both cannon and fortress promote to  Lance (i)龍 Genius (G) 1×... promotes to  Dragon (d) Untrained (U) 1×... promotes to  Phoenix (p) Longbow (L) 2×... promotes to  Arrow (a)兵 Pawn (P) 9×... promotes 7× to  Bronze (b)... 1× to  Silver (s)... and 1× to  Gold (g)

dax00


This is the format I'll be using to post boards. As you can see by the key below, the topmost piece in a stack will be shown in the largest font inside that square.

Notation may be given like "332G" or "3-3-2 G" or similar.

You can have your choice of sente/gote. Then the placement phase can begin. After all pawns are placed, we can both message a 3rd party which of our pawns can promote to silver or gold.

icositetrachoron
dax00 wrote:


This is the format I'll be using to post boards. As you can see by the key below, the topmost piece in a stack will be shown in the largest font inside that square.

Notation may be given like "332G" or "3-3-2 G" or similar.

You can have your choice of sente/gote. Then the placement phase can begin. After all pawns are placed, we can both message a 3rd party which of our pawns can promote to silver or gold.

I'll choose sente.

dax00

Ok. We now take turns placing pieces. You get to place a piece first.

icositetrachoron

811G

dax00

I took your move as 291G. Symmetrically, it's the same, so there shouldn't be an issue. You have the bottom 3 ranks.

531P

evert823
dax00 wrote:

After all pawns are placed, we can both message a 3rd party which of our pawns can promote to silver or gold.

What does this mean? Isn't this a complete information game?

icositetrachoron
dax00 wrote:

I took your move as 291G. Symmetrically, it's the same, so there shouldn't be an issue. You have the bottom 3 ranks.

531P

 

Sorry, I mean 391M. I'm used to 師 being "General" in most variants that the name is used in, and I'm also new to the "flipped" notation. 

icositetrachoron

492N

dax00
evert823 wrote:
dax00 wrote:

After all pawns are placed, we can both message a 3rd party which of our pawns can promote to silver or gold.

What does this mean? Isn't this a complete information game?

Most of the pawns promote to bronze, but not all of them. So almost complete information. I think it would be a nice change to not know absolutely everything. If it isn't a bother, do you mind keeping the hidden information?


492N is impossible. Without a piece on tier 1, a piece by itself can't be tier 2. I'll place it on 491 for now. Also, please note that only a cannon or fortress can be dropped on top of for the placement phase, since a ninja can only have a back piece dropped onto it, and the officer is a back piece.

evert823

I can keep hidden information. But the link that you gave is not mentioning how this works.

dax00
evert823 wrote:

I can keep hidden information. But the link that you gave is not mentioning how this works.

Thanks. If we were playing in person with actual board and pieces, I presume the back sides of the pawns would eventually be revealed through capture. It's not a lot of hidden information. But, obviously, without actual pieces, we can't just have players say what a pawn promotes to after it's captured. At least this way, there's some accountability.

dax00

431S

icositetrachoron

291G ()

dax00

811M

icositetrachoron

381g ()

dax00

Only front side pieces can be placed during the placement phase. I'll take that as 381P.

311F

icositetrachoron
dax00 wrote:

Only front side pieces can be placed during the placement phase. I'll take that as 381P.

311F

Sorry I misread that part.

481L ()

dax00

231P

icositetrachoron

281P