Forums

An interesting setup

Sort:
MGleason

The computer initially evaluates this as about -1, which is a bit less of an advantage for black than white has in 3-check.  On deeper analysis, however, it finds a draw for white with best possible play.  Both sides, however, have multiple opportunities to diverge from the drawing line without immediately losing.

White must aggressively go for black's king and not allow him to reach safety.  Black must try to run and hide, sacrificing his extra material if needed, to get his king to safety.

Stephen_Stanfield

That is so cool! You could make a daily tournament with that setup!

Sai

Interesting. Is this a chess 961?

MGleason

961?  I don't think so.  The random positions could easily give white a devastating attack on the exposed king, or could deprive white of a quick attack and allow black's material advantage to dominate.

I will probably make a tournament when I get my game count down some.  I will make it unrated, since it's an oddball starting position and ideally shouldn't affect ratings for standard chess.

Stephen_Stanfield

happy.png

Stephen_Stanfield

I'll certainly join!

Sai

+1

ElephantHistorian

Nice idea! Why don't you post about it on my forum? We all can play it there!

chessvariantforum.createaforum.com

Christopher_Parsons

I like it...

pranay_p

So will I.

F0X-MULDER

im in unrated, how bout unrated theme tourney 3-4 moves in ?

Lone_Bird960

I’m interested to play this tournament happy.png How many simultaneous games ?

Stephen_Stanfield

Mate in 19 for white.

MGleason

I won't start the tourney for a bit yet.  Probably groups of 4-5.

Stephen_Stanfield

Seriously the position is forced mate and 19 for white let your engine run a while.

MGleason

I saw a forced draw for white with best play, but not a mate?

Stephen_Stanfield

Keep looking.

MGleason

Ah, yeah, now I'm finding a mate in 17.

I may need to adjust the position. grin.png

Stephen_Stanfield

Weird, I'm running the position through stockfish and it still hasn't found it at depth 23.

MGleason

Yeah, I had to get to about depth 30ish.

The line probably involves some sacrifices or something that are initially pruned away as unpromising and only investigated more with deeper analysis.