Forums

Bulldog Chess with Witch (foofooes - vickalan)

Sort:
vickalan
This thread is for a game of "Bulldog Chess with Witch" between foofooes and vickalan.

Board: 10 x 8 (see image below).

The pieces:
Guard (G) - Moves and captures like a king.
phprSluRj.jpegphpLdYlXm.jpeg(gothic style and classic style)
Other information on the guard can be found (here). (not particular to this game)

Witch (W) - The witch is transparent to friendly pieces, and she also makes all adjacent pieces (friend and foe) transparent to friendly pieces (but pieces are not transparent for the witch). The witch does not capture other pieces, but she can be captured. Although pieces are not transparent to the witch, she is very agile; she combines the movement of queen, knight, and can jump orthogonally and diagonally two squares. Transparency of a piece means that other pieces can move, attack, and capture right through the piece.
phpW6m0Bl.jpegphpjiGVTn.jpeg(gothic style and classic style)

Board Setup (gothic style shown):
phpKH6Rw9.jpeg
Note the position of black's king and queen are switched compared to classical chess. This is so the guard and witch are equal distance to each player's king and queen.

Castling
The rules of castling are similar as in classical chess, however, with the board 10 squares wide, the king travels three squares rather than two. The rook finishes adjacent to the king (white: d1 or h1; black c8 or g8). Note files are now numbered "a-j" with "a" and "j" being the new flanks. As usual when castling, all squares between the king and the involved rook must be unoccupied, and this includes the square where the guard or witch is initially positioned.

Other rules of this game are identical with rules of classical chess.

To all:
Please do not post any comments about this game here.  I'd like to reserve this thread to just this game, and not go off-topic with suggestions, ideas, criticisms, etc.

If you have any comments or ideas about Bulldog chess then please visit (here).
Joseph_Truelsons_Fan
D4
vickalan

1...Ng6

phpPdhVvC.jpeg

Joseph_Truelsons_Fan

Nc3

vickalan

Hi foofooes, neither of your knights can move to Nc3. Remember this board has the files numbered a-j (the leftmost file is the new a-file). Do you mean Nd3?

Joseph_Truelsons_Fan

Ya

vickalan

2...f5

phpK8uUM7.jpeg

Joseph_Truelsons_Fan

WC3

vickalan

3...c6

phpy2UAFr.jpeg

Joseph_Truelsons_Fan

E3

vickalan

4...Bc4

phpbN83uX.jpeg

Joseph_Truelsons_Fan

Be2

Joseph_Truelsons_Fan

For queen castle does the king move 4 spaces?

vickalan

Hi foofooes, the castling rules are in the introduction. The king moves 3 spaces (either side). If you castle queen-side then your rook will finish on d1.

I'll play:

5...Nd6

phpkE0Qoc.jpeg

Joseph_Truelsons_Fan
Thanks, I will play Qd2
vickalan

6...Ne4

phpKVC6pu.jpeg

Joseph_Truelsons_Fan
OMG I didn't see that coming so Qd1
vickalan

I lost my witch to a bishop last time I played evertVB. The game went on for a while, and finally ended in a draw. Well now I'll play:

7...Nxc3

phpgCOfXv.png

Joseph_Truelsons_Fan
bxc3
vickalan

8...e6

php9FNllX.png