x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Chess 960. Love it? Or not really?

After getting so used to playing "normal" chess my brain just can't work out how to play effectively.

Wanted to shared this, from Wikipedia:

On June 19, 1996, in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Fischer announced and advocated a variant of chess named Fischerandom Chess (later known as Fischer Random Chess or Chess960) intended to ensure that a game between players is a contest between their understandings of chess, rather than their abilities to memorize opening lines or prepare opening strategies.

Fischerandom was designed to remove any advantage from the memorization of opening variations by rendering it impracticable. Fischer complained in a 2006 phoned-in call with a radio interviewer that because of the progress in openings and the memorization of opening books, the best players from history, if brought back from the dead to play today, would no longer be competitive. "Some kid of fourteen today, or even younger, could get an opening advantage against Capablanca", he said, merely because of opening-book memorization, which Fischer disdained. "Now chess is completely dead. It is all just memorization and prearrangement. It's a terrible game now. Very uncreative."[367]Fischer heavily disparaged chess as it was currently being played at the highest levels.[368]

If Chess is dead, what are we doing here?

TheBigDecline wrote:

We're playing Fischer Random, didn't you notice?

varelse1 wrote:

Wanted to shared this, from Wikipedia:

... "Some kid of fourteen today, or even younger, could get an opening advantage against Capablanca", he said, merely because of opening-book memorization, which Fischer disdained. "Now chess is completely dead. It is all just memorization and prearrangement. It's a terrible game now. Very uncreative."[367] ...

Thanks much, varelse1, for this input... and vive la creativite!

TheBigDecline wrote:

Me? I'm setting up prearranged draws, to stop Fischer from advancing. Same as the rest of the world!Cool

Yeah,here is this interview with Fischer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EuxVOgrEig

Also,check out this video,called "Bobby Fischer is travelling from Japan to Iceland".In second part he starts to talk about chess and chess960 (Fischer random chess) at 03:44,and then he compares chess and chess960 for the rest of the second part of the video,and also through the whole third part of the video.

Second part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XnDiFNjSaw

Third part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi9T5g24XAQ

And I have to say that I completely agree with Bobby about chess and random chess.

Thank you about posting those links, marljivi. Very interesting.

It's something different...Laughing

You're welcome,TheBigDecline (and all the other viewers). ;-)

Look, the guy, in all his madness, smoke, and fog, found a limit to the game that is valid if the game hasn't become some sacred cow to you in front of which you kneel and exalt. I find his variation exciting and an opportunity to find freshness in a game that can be ponderous at times. I am no opening-memorizer. Still, I get the point. Some of my fave games have been one where I accidentally pressed the wrong square choice due to browser lag, and ended up playing a whole new unexpected game as a result. In short, I think that anyone who can't groove with Chess960 is small-minded, self-aggrandizing, and lacks knowledge of the game and of their own self. Wake up. Its a game. Have fun. Play. Fischer forgot this until a 16 yr old girl woke him up and broke his heart. You can be better! :)

Why did Mario La Cunza get banned?

my favorite chess 960.

I love 960 it is my BEST chess mode!
    i do!

I find it interesting occasionally, but am not at all sure I want to play live, especially if the opening move has to be made quickly to avoid an abort. (Yes, I should try a game to test.) The opening move in Chess960 takes considerable thought, I find.

#ilovechess960

Online Now