Forums

Do you find chess960 challenging or fun?

Sort:
Psy_Junior

Do you find chess960 challenging or fun?

205thsq

i like it a lot. on average black has a slight advantage!

Psy_Junior

Why does black have a slight advantage?

Ziggyblitz

Chess960 is strange, confusing and totally useless.  It won't improve your regular chess game one bit.  Bobby Fischer wanted to avoid opponents who could remember thousands of opening moves and thousands of games.  Me...I can't even remember my last game.  

205thsq

to get a 960 rating you have to play rated 960 games but there is no 960 "live" just online... click online chess and then under open challenge or challenge a friend which ever hit the little down arrow next to where it says standard chess and change it to 960, or join a team and register for their 960 matches.

The computers give black a slight advantage in a lot of 960 games because in many setups it is preferable to react to whites 1st move

SaharanKnight
205thsq wrote:

The computers give black a slight advantage in a lot of 960 games because in many setups it is preferable to react to whites 1st move

Which computers? I really doubt that. With correct play, I doubt that there is advantage for either white or black except one of tempo... and that can change!

SaharanKnight

I have played in close to 50 games, talking about the openings, and I have yet to see an advantage for either black or white except the advantage of tempo.  I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO SHOW ME AN OPENING POSITION WHERE EITHER SIDE HAS AN ADVANTAGE OTHER THAN TEMPO!!  Give me a position, and I will try to show the correct play!!

Math0t

They probably mean white usually gives away the advantage at the first ply. But of course black will often return the favor right away.

SaharanKnight

Well, white doesn't have an advantage except tempo... and I doubt that, with correct play, white would give away the advantage of tempo on the first play!  Like I said, let them show me!

varelse1

For some reason I drop 300 rating points in 960.

And you know the funny part? In Standard chess, I hate studying openings!

I thought 960 was going to be the solution!Embarassed

SaharanKnight
Ziggyblitz wrote:

Chess960 is strange, confusing and totally useless.  It won't improve your regular chess game one bit.  ... 

Okay, let it remain that way for some... while the rest of us are having fun!! 

Seriously, didn't someone famous once say, "Where's the meat?" The meat is the skillful application of opening principles... and that actually is not as confusing as some claim.

SaharanKnight
varelse1 wrote:

For some reason I drop 300 rating points in 960.

And you know the funny part? In Standard chess, I hate studying openings!

I thought 960 was going to be the solution!

Hey, you're not doing bad in 960!  You want to challenge me?  (My only statistical advantage is my Avg.Opp, which is higher than my current rating!)

Psy_Junior

I will challenge anyone in 960

SaharanKnight

@Psy_Junior: Hey, what's happening?  Two days ago, you were asking if chess is "challenging" and until now, you're still not challenged?  (Pun intended!)

For a challenge, me, I was just wondering if varelse1 was "game." Otherwise, on this forum, I would take challenges from any and all who can SHOW ME AN OPENING POSITION WHERE EITHER SIDE HAS AN ADVANTAGE OTHER THAN TEMPO. So far, no takers either.

Psy_Junior

What is the advantage for black???

Psy_Junior

Please tell me guys.

Ledgermayne1234

its for fun, like goofy or funky chess, i play it at goofy chess tornaments

Psy_Junior

DO you play it at chess tournaments? We should have a blitz 960 so that we have blitz version of 960. That will be fun.

bemweeks
SaharanKnight wrote:

SHOW ME AN OPENING POSITION WHERE EITHER SIDE HAS AN ADVANTAGE OTHER THAN TEMPO.

Here are two positions for you: SP864 BBQRKRNN & SP868 QBBRKRNN. White opens with 1.Ng3. How do you continue? - Mark

Psy_Junior

Weird