Forums

how to play chess 960

Sort:
nabila_ratna

how to play chess 960

royalbishop

Most of the same fundamentals apply. Why i say most because one can take a risk a try an early mate threat that may lead to mate or win material.

What they have in common. Develop your pieces and rapidly and effectively(people forget this part). By this place them where they are the most active. Look for pieces, squares(outpost to use or take away from opponent), lines (files, diagonals and ranks) to use now or in the future. Tactics they usual tactics are always in play like pins and forks but they are not the only tactics to concentrate on in the game.

Pawns, pawns and pawns. In Chess 960 you have to extra careful with them as pieces are not where you used to them being so they can not be protected as easily. Example moving a pawn out may get it attacked and leaving you to move another pawn to protect it. By moving the 2nd pawns out you exposed a serious weakness and now stuck between giving up the pawn or leaving yourself exposed to attack. So look twice before you move a pawn as the best way for it to be defended is by another pawn. The key is will the pawn defending the other pawn create a chance for your opponent to attack.

King safety! Gotta castle. This is a long subject and not sure if it can be explained without confusion. But make sure you do not castle into trouble. Or make sure your opponent is not waiting for you to castle to side they are planning to attack. In Chess 960 sometimes keeping the King in the Middle might be safer as your opponent has no idea which side your castling and so they have they can not settle on a plan. If the center is occupied with pawns then the king is safe in the center if not then i suggest you castle.

Castle. How?  Chess.com has a section on how to play chess(rules) and they include Chess 960. The will make this as easy as possible. The final positions on the king side castle ( o-o) final position is the same in both and the queen side castle ( o-o-o) final position is the same. Just have to clear the pieces out the way of the king. Remember of the King as it moves.

That is the basics!

RonaldJosephCote

You play chess 960, the SAME way you'd play regular chess. Just the starting position changes.

royalbishop
RonaldJosephCote wrote:

You play chess 960, the SAME way you'd play regular chess. Just the starting position changes.

Try it and you find some of your games over in under 20 moves. A popular strategy on chess.com is to attack for the early mate. Sure they know it might not work but the damage from a person not being careful will end the game early.

Chess 960 allows more risk as the king may be more exposed than normal. The other part is the knight may start in position where it has no good move on the 3rd rank for various reasons: It might be to far away to the center. Moving it out may cause your opponent to capture it and create a diagonal to attack a king or queen that has no square to retreat.

Any GM will tell you to ASSESS the position and not just make mindless moves. Premature attacks at times can work in Chess 960 but if you try that in standard chess you can punish your opponent. Where in Chess 960 one can recover from a premature attack as their opponent still has to mobilize to form an attack or development.

In Chess 960 it is not as easy to control the center at times. So you can not say it is the same. Each board in a Chess 960 game is different. It is like saying all cars are the same and you can fix them all the same way if they have complicated tech issues. Cars have front wheel drive, 4x4 and real wheel drive. The car can be an automatic or stick shift.

In both you play the Situation. Just in Chess 960 attacks can come from anywhere and anytime so you do not have the same liberty to relax the way you did in standard chess.

RonaldJosephCote

To the OP; there is a group here just for playing 960.

nabila_ratna

Thanks to all..who was give me information about chess 960......

royalbishop
RonaldJosephCote wrote:

To the OP; there is a group here just for playing 960.

I was in a couple of those groups. The one thing i did learn was when you play Chess 960 you may see their Chess 960 rank at 1300 but in standard they are 1900 and that is because they might have only played 3-8 games in Chess 960. When we play Chess 960 chess.com should show both ranks in each category to avoid slaughters.

royalbishop

Chess 960 ..... the original idea was the game was a training tool. At some point players started to memorize opening lines.

Now players throw away Chess Theory like it never existed and they start off trying to end the game quick by attack the King, Queen and pawn hunts. Stop those type of players and they have nothing later.

Play unrated games in Chess 960 until you get comfortable playing the game.

AlCzervik

Just play, and look at positions the same way you would in a standard game.

royalbishop

Are the pieces set up the same way? That would be no.

Do they have openings in Chess 960? no

Can the knights always help control the center in Chess 960? no

Can the pieces always develop quickly to good squares in Chess 960? no

nabila_ratna
AlCzervik wrote:

i will play chess 960..that's look interesting

royalbishop

In some cases in Chess 960 whomever has white has a huge advantage in the intial attack. Assess the situation in Chess960 as one can break the rules in standard Chess.

royalbishop
nabila_ratna wrote:
AlCzervik wrote:

Again some people give you what they heard from others.

Look at your opponents Standard rating also as this can happen.

Their Standard Chess Rank: 1980   Their Chess 960 Rank: 1350

And that can happen because they only played 3-8 games.

AlCzervik
royalbishop wrote:
nabila_ratna wrote:
AlCzervik wrote:

I hope you're not inferring that my statement is what others told me. It's solid advice.

slide_checkmate
royalbishop wrote:

I think you're correct to a certain degree, but I also think that even if you've played 1000 Chess960 games a player's 960 rating can be hugely different to his standard chess ratings because of his style of play.

Where a lot of players fall down in 960 is through sheer carelessness in the opening. As Royalbishop said, there is an imminent threat from pretty much the first move. The trick is to realise that the basic principles in the opening are the same, but the application of those principles is completely different depending on the position of your pieces at the beginning.

royalbishop
slide_checkmate wrote:
royalbishop wrote:

I think you're correct to a certain degree, but I also think that even if you've played 1000 Chess960 games a player's 960 rating can be hugely different to his standard chess ratings because of his style of play.

Where a lot of players fall down in 960 is through sheer carelessness in the opening. As Royalbishop said, there is an imminent threat from pretty much the first move. The trick is to realise that the basic principles in the opening are the same, but the application of those principles is completely different depending on the position of your pieces at the beginning.

Thank you!  

latvianlover

one specific thing in chess 950 that i have noticed is that with some starting positions there are undefended pawns. this is different from regular chess and causes the game to go much differently.

AlCzervik

If you're playing 950, maybe ten boards with undefended pawns are eliminated?

RonaldJosephCote

I see your 940, and raise you 10.

sundanis_biasa

how to rokade chess 960?