Forums

Musketeer chess, Series 2 - Playtest Game.

Sort:
Ebinola

@musketeerchess2017 has requested me to have one game of musketeer chess using some of the new pieces. They've talked the talk, now it's time to walk the walk. wink.png

The pieces that will be used are: the wizard and the griffin.

null

null

The wizard (W) can slide up to 2 squares orthogonally, or move 1 square diagonally. In addition to this, it has a unique trait - once per game you are able to (instead of making a regular move) switch the position of the wizard with any friendly piece on the board. This can be used for both offence and defence.

The griffin (G) can move 1 square diagonally and then optionally continue outwards as a rook. This is a one-hit-wonder, being featured in the 11th century Grande Acedrex and nowhere else in the history of chess.

Typically, these play-by-forum threads prohibit users from making comments so as to not give ideas to either player; however, as this is a playtest game, your comments are encouraged (but don't abuse the post button or this thread, if you get what I mean).

With that being said, let's get this game underway. I will begin to post diagrams after White's fourth move.

1. W=W B=G

2. W^c0 ...

Ebinola

3. G^f0

The concept of pieces switching places has been explored before (see: Chess Evolved Online), but this is a first in the musketeer chess project where a piece other than the king has what I like to call a trait. My definition of trait is: any additional property or special move given to a piece which influences its value or state on the board. The Ultima immobiliser, for instance, moves as a non-capturing queen, but freezes adjacent enemy pieces in place - this could be defined as a trait.

With all these ideas being thrown around, I wonder how many other pieces will develop a trait as well...

vickalan

What's the starting position of pieces? Can spectators see that somewhere?meh.png

vickalan

Oh, looks good. I almost forgot how the new pieces are introduced in the game. I especially like the wizard. It's a close attacker but slides rather than jumps. Nice idea!happy.png

Ebinola

Since a diagram has been posted, would you like to update the thread with diagrams instead?

4. d4

Ebinola

A bit late but here we go, let's see how the griffin affects the Dutch.

5. g3null

Ebinola

null

6. Nf3. In tandem with the wizard's switch move I think the griffin is a massive threat on the board. If your opponent's wizard gets too far, he'll be looking for moves where he can switch the two. Not only that, but it outshines the hawk and knight as a master forker. It begs the question of how well the wizard would work with the dragon... maybe too well. 

Ebinola

7. Bg2/G

null

How valuable is the wizard while it has its switching trait? That's important to think about. It not only has great offensive pressure but can also use the switch for defence as well. Could be good for escaping a checkmate (unless switching isn't a legal response to check like castling).

HorusTheThird

Sorry for interrupting the game, I don't know where else to ask this, but can the wizard switch with pieces on the (imaginary?) 9th or 0th rank? Can it switch out of those ranks?

ClementHY

what are the piceses at th sides

Ebinola

8. Bg5/W

null

Ebinola

9. e3, bringing the griffin into the game.

Musketeer pieces on a fianchettoed side are always a pain to get out of the way before castling. If this was the alternative griffin (the one with the alfil move) I could have activated it much sooner.

null

Ebinola

10. Ge2

null

A griffin is definitely worth more than a rook, anywhere from 6-7.5 pawns. Technically it moves in 8 directions rather than 4, so that alone has to make it stronger than a rook.

Ebinola

This play-by-forum game has been moved to @ElephantHistorian's site. If you're at all interested, you may follow us there.

https://chessvariantforum.createaforum.com/correspondence-game-requests/

Taurusmale67

This thread has been locked at the request of the OP - Taurusmale67

This forum topic has been locked