Forums

"My Own Contribution To Chess"

Sort:
willgrstevens

A very long time ago, I came across a small book with this (or some similar) title in a second hand book shop. I glanced at it, but didn't buy it. As far as I can recall, the author had designed a novel chess board with eight additional squares. Four were to the left of the a file in rows 3, 4, 5 and 6, and similarly four were to the right of the h file -- so, in effect, rows 3, 4, 5 and 6 each consisted of 10 squares. As I recall, it was only the board which was different; all the rules of play remained the same.

Recently, I looked for this variant in the (extraordinarily long!) list of variants in Wikipedia, but it doesn't seem to be there. So should it be? Has anybody else ever come across this?

(I'm new to this web site, and I'm not really a chess enthusiast. So my apologies in advance if what I'm posting is (a) well known, or (b) totally boring, or (c) irrelevant or (d) posted in the wrong place. I'm perfectly happy to crawl back under the large flat stone from which I have emerged.)

HGMuller

Perhaps you should pose this question on www.chessvariants.com, because the average Chess player typically does not even know that something like a Chess variant exists.

DrFianchetto
It's a pity you can't explain the implications of the idea , ...sounds quite interesting ! Lol 🤗