Forums

Please explain how to castle in 960.

Sort:
MrDamonSmith

Hi. I'm a bit unsure if I'm supposed to click the king & then the rook I want to cast with or some other procedure. Can anyone help, thanx

Poompat

You simply move the King OVER the Rook that you want to castle with.

Eg. Here, you move K (on b1) to the right over [=pass] Rook (on d1) to castle Kingside;

Or to left over Rook (on a1) to castle Queenside...

MrDamonSmith

So if I want to castle k-side in the position below I click on my king & move it over the rook on h1 as though there's another square to the right of h1?

http://www.chess.com/echess/game?id=79753556

omnipaul

Move your king ONTO the rook.  In the case of your game, moving Kh1 will make it castle.

(Note that this works for castling in regular games, as well.)

MrDamonSmith

Thanx, I'm gonna try it soon. I hope it doesn't just move my king to g1 & block my rook in. That was my fear.

emkcehc
[COMMENT DELETED]
Poompat
MrDamonSmith wrote:

So if I want to castle k-side in the position below I click on my king & move it over the rook on h1 as though there's another square to the right of h1?

http://www.chess.com/echess/game?id=79753556

You can move your King ONTO the Rook; but sometimes if the King and Rook are near each other (in Chess960), it is better that you move your King OVER & PAST that Rook.

eg. in position below, you do not want to make mistake of moving you King only to d1 and not O-O     [if your settings = "one-move click"]

MrDamonSmith

Thanx y'all. Got it, it worked fine.

DAM351

moving the king 2 squares either side also castles effectively.

eamusViridi

I am using Windows 8.1 on a tablet and haven't found a way to castle.  My Rook is on h8 and King on g8.   I tried the suggestions above, e.g., try to move the King to the other side of the Rook.  No good.    Nothing else I've tried worked.  Clicked the King and the Rook.  Clicked the King and dragged the Rook.  Dragged the King on top of the Rook.  Nothing.   Am I missing something or is it not possible to castle in this configuration with Windows 8.1?

Poompat

@mojolake:  If you are referring to this game below, you canNOT castle (Queenside) until your Bishop is moved away from d1; because after castling, the K is on c1 + R on d1 (as in normal O-O-O).

eamusViridi

thanks much.   was thinking i was castling k-side.   wonder why i got the board backwards.   Maybe because the kings are already on N1 (but QN1 not KN1) so my brain 'sees' this as king-side.   Interesting question for the chess psychologists.  thanks again.

David210

i usually lose in chess960 coz i donno how to caslte in it lol, but i was always too lazy to ask, thanks for asking my q :D

HW_20315
Poompat wrote:

Eg. Here, you move K (on b1) to the right over [=pass] Rook (on d1) to castle Kingside;

so you're saying that castling in chess960 is the same as regular castling, but it looks different?

manekapa
HW_20315 wrote:
Poompat wrote:

so you're saying that castling in chess960 is the same as regular castling, but it looks different?

When you castle in chess960, the king and rook end up on the same squares as they do for standard chess.

https://support.chess.com/en/articles/8614060-how-do-i-castle-in-chess960

djconnel

This confused me for a long time. I was convinced chess-com had a bug happy.png. You'd think castling would put your king 2 spaces left or right (or 1 if there is insufficient space), and the rook to the inside of the king.
The way it was implemented doesn't much sense on a pure 960 basis, but does if you're trying to maintain parallels with conventional chess.

djconnel

As an aside -- chess24 keeps king and rooks on their conventional squares, and so this isn't an issue.
That leaves 5 squares. 3 choices for the same-colored bishop, 2 for the opposite-colored bishop (6 total so far), then there's 4 choices left for the queen (24 options total). The last two squares go to rooks. So 24 total configurations, or 23 if you eliminate the conventional chess position.