Forums

Waterloo (game) - BattleChessGN18, Vickalan

Sort:
vickalan

This thread is for Game 1 of the Waterloo International Championship Contest.

Game: Waterloo (5th edition)
Series: 2017 International World Championship
date: 01/01/17
White: BattleChessGN18, Black: Vickalan
Game type: untimed; forum correspondence

Hi Battlechess, I'll see you here soon from the other thread happy.png

Thank you for posting the game diagrams.

I'll continue from your first move:

1.Ng2H4...g8g7

BattleChessGN18

Vickalan, we really don't need to start a new thread. Just keep playing in the thread that already existed. It was fine there, wasn't it? =)

Edited - Seems IvanK really wanted us to play in our own thread after all. In that case, copied and pasted here.

Legend of pieces in rendered 3d diagram:php52EmMp.png

phpJI03WL.png

phpiv9PL2.gif <<<Check (Spinning Sam appears above Checked King.)

^-^

Game: Waterloo (5th edition)

date: 01/01/17, 9:15pm Pacific Standard Times

White: BattleChessGN18, Black: Vickalan

Game type: untimed; forum correspondence

1.Ng2H4      1...

2.               2...

3.               3...

4.               4... 

5.               5...

Vickalan's view (as Black):

php24BjUR.png

Vickalan's diagram view (as black)

BattleChessGN18's 3d render view (as White)

BattleChessGN18's diagram view (as white)

(And in case anyone thinks anything inappropriate about the Joker, that's supposed to be a hippocampus, and that opposite color thing at its front is one of its fins; like the one he has on his back and on his tail. What better humorous "Joke" is a half-horse half-fish? tongue.png)

vickalan

Hi BattleChess,

IvanKosintsev listed these rules:

"Rules of the game: ... Please publish your game in own topic"

He wanted to use that thread for common discussion, but not the games.

I guess you can keep posting your moves there, and I'll reply, but I don't think it's the format he requested.

BattleChessGN18

1.Ng2H4      1...g8g7

2.e3e5          2...

3.                  3...

4.                  4... 

5.                  5...

php1LtNb9.png

BattleChessGN18's rendered 3D view (as white)

vickalan
I'll play:
2...f8f6
Is there any way you can add the rank and file labels to the board (a-j, 1-10)? It will make playing a lot easier. (They are on the board at the Waterloo blogpost and every online chess game diagram). You don't need to add the arrows showing each white and black's last moves, unless you prefer. The illustrations are very nice.
Thanks.
BattleChessGN18

Unfortunately, because the 3d rendering file is very large, adding any more "objects" to it (numbers and letters), it will run the risk of crashing the program; it's already happening a few times. That's why it's taking so long for me to post these posts: 3 out or 5 times when I attempt to render these pictures, the program crashes.

And than you.

Also, from here on forth, I will be posting individual moves in their own diagram rather than combining both into one.

Vickalan's move:

1.Ng2H4      1...g8g7

2.e3e5          2...f8f6

3.                  3...

4.                  4... 

5.                  5...

php7Jjmbn.png

Vickalan's diagram view (As black)

BattleChessGN18's move:

1.Ng2H4      1...g8g7

2.e3e5          2...f8f6

3.g3g4          3...

4.                  4... 

5.                  5...

phpWqzMLZ.png

BattleChessGN18's 3d-rendered view (as white)

vickalan
Hi BattleChess,
The image you are displaying looks like it has a high resolution and is much wider than the comment area.  Have you considered reducing the model size (a new set just for the game)? That might stop the program from crashing. You can still keep the original model if you ever want to use it for other purposes (like if you want to display images in a book or article).

By the way, I really like the image of the guard, and how he is holding a large "gem-like" stone ready to use in battle! Besides the knight, he is the only figure on the board that is in realistic form, rather than an abstract icon. (The joker is also realistic, but he's not in play yet).

I wrote an article specifically about the Guard (here if you haven't seen it). Your guard is an excellent new image - the best 3D image I've seen of any chess piece - normal or variant. Will you let me know how did you think of it, or how you created its shape? Is it original, or did you derive him from some story or game?

Well, now for this game.  I'll play:
3...f6xe5
BattleChessGN18

Haha Well, thank you, Vickalan. I'll keep your compliments in mind when I try to sell designs that look like these. ^-^

On the other note: What browser are you using? The images are pretty wide, but they should not surpass the width of the comment area, as it should naturally resize to fit exact that space. Also, the volume of the pieces do not matter; there are too many points, edges and faces to make the file run smoothly. It's the Knight and the two Jokers that did it. (Joker each has more than a few thousand points, edges and faces!! Very heavy 3d pieces.)

Vickalan's move:

1.Ng2H4      1...g8g7

2.e3e5          2...f8f6

3.g3g4          3...f6xe5

4.                  4... 

5.                  5...

phpeljCXN.png

Vickalan's diagram view (as Black)

BattleChessGN18's move:

1.Ng2H4      1...g8g7

2.e3e5          2...f8f6

4.Bh2xe5      4... 

5.                  5...

phpRcKkRR.png

Vickalan's diagram view (as Black)

BattleChessGN18's 3D-rendered view (as White)

BattleChessGN18's 3diagram view (as White)

vickalan
The images display fine on my browser. The only point I was making is that you are posting fairly high-res images, but the fine detail can't be seen unless you zoom-in or save the file and view it with another application. Posting lower-res files would be OK but I guess it doesn't matter.
If changing the model size doesn't prevent your program from crashing, then I can live without the jokers and other pieces at the side of the board. We should both know they are available if/when something promotes into them.
I'll play:
4...Ne9d7
BattleChessGN18

Vickalan's move:

1.Ng2H4      1...g8g7

2.e3e5          2...f8f6

4.Bh2xe5      4...Ne9d4 

5.                  5...

phpY6xfzE.png

BattleChessGN18's move:

1.Ng2H4      1...g8g7

2.e3e5          2...f8f6

4.Bh2xe5      4...Ne9d7 

5.Be5g3        5...

php5uvSIG.png

BattleChessGN18's 3D-rendered view (as white)

vickalan

Thanks for adding the rank and file labels to the board, and I like that you show captured pieces at the sides too. Looks very good!

Btw (just one other minor opinion): I think it would look better if the knights were facing forward (like they were ready to march ahead).

I think in other diagrams you see the side of the head because it's difficult to portray a horse when you see it head-on. But in a 3D model I think it would look best if they were facing towards the other army.

Well, I will play:

5...Nd9-f8

BattleChessGN18

Vickalan's move:

1.Ng2H4      1...g8g7

2.e3e5          2...f8f6

4.Bh2xe5      4...Ne9d4 

5.Be5g3        5...Nd9f8

phpej83jX.png

BattleChessGN18's move:

1.Ng2H4      1...g8g7

2.e3e5          2...f8f6

4.Bh2xe5      4...Ne9d7 

5.Be5g3        5...Nd9f8

6.d3d5

phpyxjIVC.png

BattleChessGN18's 3D-rendered view (as white)

vickalan

Hi Battlechess,

To me there is no need to show both black's and white's move at each post. If you'd like you can just show the status after your move. I also don't mind if you just show the view from white (normal view to a neutral observer) as long as you keep it the same view each time.  But in any case, great images!

I'll play:

6...Bh9xd5

BattleChessGN18

Vickalan's move:

1.Ng2H4      1...g8g7

2.e3e5          2...f8f6

4.Bh2xe5      4...Ne9d7 

5.Be5g3        5...Nd9f8

6.d3d5          6...Bh9xd5

phpsDd8G8.png

BattleChessGN18's move:

1.Ng2H4      1...g8g7

2.e3e5          2...f8f6

4.Bh2xe5      4...Ne9d7 

5.Be5g3        5...Nd9f8

6.d3d5          6...Bh9xd5

7.Nd2e4

phpgOhn3P.png

BattleChessGN18's 3D-rendered view (as White)

BattleChessGN18's diagram view (as White)

vickalan

7...Bd5xe4

BattleChessGN18

You exploited a petty blunder (my dropped pawn on d5), only to then sacrificed a more powerful piece....now, we're even.....

You do realize that a Bishop is worth more than a Knight on a 10x10 board, do you not? (Bishops gain power with a longer ranger that's made available with a larger board, while Knight's range become less valuable on said-larger board; since it now takes longer for it to get across, with slightly less benefit of its control in its immediate 2-range environment.)

Bishop: ~3.75 points

Knight: ~2.5 points

If you would like to, I'll give you 13 hours to take back move. Otherwise, I will make my move thereafter.

vickalan
Hi Battlechess,
This is the first time an opponent has offered help to me during a game, which is very strange to me.
I'd like to proceed with the move I declared. If you capture my bishop, I will have lost a bishop and pawn, and you a knight and 2 pawns. Using your numbers I'm behind by 1/4 a pawn. But I'm not sure I agree with your numbers, and 1/4 a pawn is not much for a game that starts with 60 pieces. I'm also considering more than the value of pieces too. There may be a case where I sacrifice a material advantage to gain a positional advantage.
So please proceed with the move I declared.happy.png
BattleChessGN18

"I will have lost a bishop and pawn, and you a knight and 2 pawns."

And, without the capture, you would have captured 2 of my pawns, while I would have only one of yours. Now that you've given up your Bishop to my lower Knight, we are even.

As far as position goes, your pieces are slightly less forward than my own, and the Bishop you clumsily sacrificed would have done very well for you strategically.

Again, I am offering you time to think this over. Come 6-7am PST tomorrow, I will advance my move.

Also, I'm offering you help because I'm aware of the possibility that you may not have known the material-point analysis that has been conducted on these pieces; I realize that any new player of Waterloo would mistake the Bishop as being just about the same as the Knight. This is not the truth on a 10x10 board, as I have learned from Dan MacDonald (inventor of Omega Chess (10x10 board also) and from chess.com's variant inventor HGMuller.)

vickalan
This is Waterloo (100 square board and 60 pieces at start). You can use your analysis "Bishop: ~3.75 points, Knight: ~2.5 points" to try and win and I will use my analysis, for me to win. I don't take back moves.

Has Dan MacDonald or HGMuller ever won a game of Waterloo in their life?

Go ahead and declare your next move.
BattleChessGN18

Dan MacDonald's variant (Omega Chess) has existed for more than a decade now; at this point he knows what he's talking about.

HGMuller has invented variants of various kinds of pieces on various kinds of boards for who knows how long; at this point he knows what he's talking about.

Just saying. But alright. Suit yourself. ^-^