Forums

Waterloo

Sort:
IvanKosintsev

From Waterloo (exhibition game): HorusTheThird - vickalan

hitthepin wrote:

What is a wiseman?

vickalan wrote:
If an advisor (queen in normal chess) checks, it turns into a wiseman. The wiseman moves as queen, except it can jump over one piece. There won't be any wisemen in this game, because all of the advisors are gone. (btw: If I designed this game, I would probably eliminate some of these unusual rules. But these rules might have some purpose, which I don't know about yet).

HorusTheThird wrote:

What?? I just thought wisemen were a promoted pawn! They're actually really powerful.

Many thanks, friends. You helped me improve the sixth edition of Waterloo.
http://chess-checkers-go.blogspot.com/2018/02/waterloo-6th-edition.html

hitthepin
I want to give this a try. Can anyone play me?
IvanKosintsev

The open international World Championship by knockout system

WATERLOO 2018

Rules of the game:

http://chess-checkers-go.blogspot.com/2018/02/waterloo-6th-edition.html

Time control: 3 days per move, 1-2 days are desirable.

Please publish your game in own topic! This topic for a common discussion and for tutorial games.

What's banned and means a disqualification:

1. Any trickery with messages.

2. More then three note mistakes.

3. Impolite and brutal talk (abuse etc).

Welcome!

Please register here.

Hurry to choose a lucky number and a good partner!

You can start now!

vickalan

I would like to play but I have travel in March and again in May (2 weeks total) where I will be too busy to play. Also I would like to finish my game with HorusTheThird before starting a new game.

Is there anyone willing to play starting in about two weeks, and players have a "bank" of 10 vacation days? I don't know if I'll need it all, but I am afraid to commit when I'm busy with other things too.

(and is this time-control exception allowed for the tournament)?

IvanKosintsev

One wins always not the terriblest but the bravest!

It's a picture of Johfra Bosschart.

null

HorribleTomato

I'll play in the tourney but it looks kinda confusingcry.png

hitthepin
I guess I can play you in the tourney. When does it start?
hitthepin
Also, what are the differences between the fifth and the sixth edition?
IvanKosintsev

List of Waterloo 2018 players:

1. HorribleTomato

2. hitthepin

Welcome!

I have a good news for you. The Waterloo is developing dramatically quickly. This is something similar to "The New Accelerator" by H.G. Wells. Every new edition has a more perfect design and rules of the game.

I will soon publish the seventh and then you can start playing.

IvanKosintsev
vickalan wrote:
 I once asked Ivan if I can change the names, and he preferred that I don't. I'm still wondering if I should revolt, and do it anyways.

I am not afraid your revolt becase I am understad better the ethetic, the practise and psychology of grand (nonclassical) chess. I believe that time and professionals are on my side.

IvanKosintsev

The new  seventh edition of Waterloo is in the bag

http://chess-checkers-go.blogspot.com/2018/02/waterloo-7th-edition.html

You can enjoy the game now!

hitthepin
Why have all the pieces been replaced with checkers?
IvanKosintsev
hitthepin wrote:
Why have all the pieces been replaced with checkers?

This is a good question, and this is in essence!

The marked checkers are very handy for the playing and for composition (assembly) of new pieces. In addition the variety of primitive types is less: seven to thirteen. Therefore the study of rules is easy and the essence is clear. The game is getting more interesting because the appearance of new strategic and tactical abilities (composition & disconnection). And the checker's design has an ancient history and the huge (Terracotta) army of players.

hitthepin
Ok. I think that the piece graphics were easier though as some of the checkers looks similar to each other.
IvanKosintsev
hitthepin wrote:
Ok. I think that the piece graphics were easier though as some of the checkers looks similar to each other.

Every simple classical piece has a compound ( two checker's) fellow (big brother).

vickalan

Very sorry, but right now, I cannot commit to playing in this tournament. I will try to read the rules soon, and then I might come back and let you know if I can play. I am more busy this year, so I have to be careful about the number of games that I play.

hitthepin
When does this tournament start?
IvanKosintsev

The experience of Waterloo 2017 showed clear that it is better to start immediately just now with the continuing of the registration of new players.

The knockout system allows this.

Therefore if you has partner you can start.

IvanKosintsev

Ladies and gentlemen!

There is one important question concerning the chess notation of grand (100) chess. What you think about a progressive figures notation which allows to use all set of small letters for a lettering pieces? This is very convenient for orientation and for typing.

null

hitthepin
It looks good.