Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
chess_kebabs
Omer_Hayyam wrote:

or it also may give another impression like you need to stay on PC the whole day?

haha

unohoo

I voted for daily chess but still curious where live chess tourney sheet is.

Namssob

What I thought of before I read the options in the poll was "Exchange" Chess.  Another option would be "Delayed" Chess.  But otherwise, I was thinking Correspondence.

chess_kebabs

Paced Chess

you can move at your own pace.

and you can set the controls for moves to suit the pace you want to move, as well as accept the challenges or team matches for the pace you're comfortable to  move at.

furtiveking
Count_Rugen wrote:

Antiquated Chess?

Isn't all chess the same age?

guitarzan
Count_Rugen wrote:

Antiquated Chess?

Modern Correspondence Chess; MC Chess

Ziryab

I call it correspondence even though the name does not fit. Turn-based is a silly term, but works too. Sometimes I just call it chess (at correspondence time controls).

I have played postal and email chess. 

SandyJames

1.Turtle Chess

2. Slow Motion Chess - shortened to say "Slomo Chess"

3. Take Your Time Chess - shortened to "TYT Chess"

AnastasiaStyles

Correspondence Chess is the well-known standard term, and is the most clear, accurate, and descriptive too.

"Daily chess" evokes "Give us this day our daily chess", which may be marvelous, but doesn't say anything about the time controls. It could be our daily bullet chess.

"Slow chess" evokes the fellow at my club who takes an entire evening to play one game, when everyone but him (and, obviously, his opponent) have gone through several.

winerkleiner

"Timely chess"

"Scheduled chess"

"Prompt chess"

"Controlled chess"

"Calender chess"

"Direct chess"

"Daily moves chess"

"Reserved chess"

"Non-punctual chess"

"Time controlled chess"

"Play later chess"

Just a few, but they might all suck

ozzie_c_cobblepot

How about "korespondence", which is in the Czech language.

chess_kebabs

or for us lower rated players Correspondunce chesse. 

theoreticalboy

Knifey-spoony.

Upabushtrack

Vacation abuse chess?

shequan

correspondence chess is most appropriate, but I agree there are certain "marketing" issues with this. but if you do call it correspondence chess, you should also make sure people know that they are NOT to use engines, as this is sometimes allowed and expected in correspondence chess from what I have read. off-topic, but I actually think you should re-name some of the live chess time controls, make another "standard" time control which includes games played with 40 minutes and above, 15-40 should be re-named rapid. 10 and under blitz, under 3 bullet.

Coach_Valentin

In technical terms, Online Chess is asychronous chess (like email and correspondence), i.e., both players don't have to be there at the time when one of them moves -- which is mostly not the case with Live Chess (or OTB chess, for that matter), which itself is synchronous.  

Now, if only 10% of users would know what correspondence chess is, I'll reckon that only 10% of those 10% would be able to grasp the distinction between asynchronous and synchronous...  But if people can think of better (i.e., more widely known and well understood) words to describe that difference of synchrony, it does represent the fundamental distinction between the two main types that this site offers.

Perhaps Erik's "daily chess" approaches the right imagery reasonably well...

Yosriv

"correspondence chess" is simple and great I think Smile

shequan
_valentin_ wrote:

In technical terms, Online Chess is asychronous chess (like email and correspondence), i.e., both players don't have to be there at the time when one of them moves -- which is mostly not the case with Live Chess (or OTB chess, for that matter), which itself is synchronous.  

Now, if only 10% of users would know what correspondence chess is, I'll reckon that only 10% of those 10% would be able to grasp the distinction between asynchronous and synchronous...  But if people can think of better (i.e., more widely known and well understood) words to describe that difference of synchrony, it does represent the fundamental distinction between the two main types that this site offers.

Perhaps Erik's "daily chess" approaches the right imagery reasonably well...

actually give people a little more credit huh? I think most everyone will be able to readily and easily grasp the concept of synchrocity with little trouble. contrary to popular belief, most people aren't idiots.

shequan

the problem with "correspondence chess" lies not in people not being able to grasp it's nature, but in its lack of "pizazz" for lack of a better term.

Coach_Valentin

I haven't tested it out (synchronous vs. asynchronous) on lay people, but my sense as a technical (i.e., computer-industry) person from working with non-technical (yet still quite intelligent!) people over the years is that there's a threshold of technicality that doesn't get easily crossed in terminology or imagery, even if the concepts may seem obvious to the technical folks.  I may be wrong here, but it's my hunch...