Zobbu

"Online Slow Chess"

Ziryab
Zobbu wrote:

"Online Slow Chess"

We have a winner!

Ziryab
Wzntz wrote:

Spanish is close to Latin what about "Diachess", lots of people would understand that and everyone would soon get used to what it was pertaining to.

Diaschacchi

winerkleiner
motherinlaw wrote:
winerkleiner wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:
winerkleiner wrote:

We should call it "winerkleiner wink wink chess"!

No, no we shouldn't.

Yes yes we should, I will call Erik, too late sir!

So what did Erik say?  Did he say he'd get that bad Grobe guy to stop picking on you?  Well, He Should..... you poor thing ... It was a Fine idea.   And you can tell Erik I said so, too. 

He said TheGrobe can only pick my nose and he (Erik) will nominate you for mother-in-law of the year award.  Please don't let us down!

winerkleiner

"World Chess"

baddogno

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/abraham_lincoln_2.html#ycyRHulZRBGTXuxM.99

Abraham Lincoln gets the last word on what we should call correspondence chess.

cleocamy

How about Virtual Correspondence to distinguish it from the kind you scribble on a post card?

rotorroar

How about "Leisurely chess"? meaning "unhurried"" chess

SebLeb0210

corespondance

motherinlaw
woodrow wrote:

Call if what it really is - Glacial Chess. A third of your wins will be due to your opponent dying while trying to decide on his next move.

A good rationale for challenging us "senior citizen" players! Gives you better odds of winning on "time" when we're called away from the game by that Big Fischer in the sky. ;-)

learningthemoves
motherinlaw wrote:
woodrow wrote:

Call if what it really is - Glacial Chess. A third of your wins will be due to your opponent dying while trying to decide on his next move.

A good rationale for challenging us "senior citizen" players! Gives you better odds of winning on "time" when we're called away from the game by that Big Fischer in the sky. ;-)

With one caveat: They cannot possess a wit as razor sharp as yours, Motherinlaw...or it wouldn't work!

And you better not be getting any ideas about playing sky chess with Fischer until at least 40 more years from now or maybe 50.

Have I made myself clear, young lady? (I'm 93 so I feel it's okay for me to call you young lady.

(I mean everything above except the fact I'm 35 and not 93 yet, but boy did it feel good to practice.)

motherinlaw

Ah, good.  

I see, LTM, that you begin to recognize the true power of the MIL.  You may, with time and effort, become a worthy student, Grasshopper.  You show promise, but much will be required of you.  I shall watch you closely in the days to come.

P.S. "Glacial Chess?!"  Are you kidding me?! 

Ubik42

I dont want to read through 6 million pages.

The only difference between online chess and live chess is the speed of the moves. 

So just define slow chess as any time limit 1 move a day or slower. Everything else is fast chess.

netzach

"Houdini assisted chess" is still hugely popular here. :)

Accompanied by id's like "Batmanz" or "Hotgurl".

motherinlaw
Ubik42 wrote:

I dont want to read through 6 million pages.

The only difference between online chess and live chess is the speed of the moves. 

So just define slow chess as any time limit 1 move a day or slower. Everything else is fast chess.

Good decision not to read through these, Ubik -- I can save you time with a summary:  The "serious" comments on the subject pretty much ended ages ago.  Nobody's been bothering with actual suggestions since ... well it's hard to remember that far back ... something about Y2K? ... I think there was a moon landing... Buzz Aldrin? ... never mind...

Somebodysson
erik wrote:

my vote is "Daily Chess". because you play with "day" time controls. second would be "Slow Chess" :)

nope. 'slow chess' is no good; its all relative, and the DHLC has slow chess with 45/45 and 90/30 time controls. 'Turn-based' is terrible, probably the worst. All chess is 'turn-based'.  'Daily chess' is misleading. You can play cc chess with ten or more moves in one day if you're both on your puter a lot that day.  And then go for a day or two with no moves at all. I like 'cChess' (best), cc, or 'eChess'. 

motherinlaw
Somebodysson wrote:
erik wrote:

my vote is "Daily Chess". because you play with "day" time controls. second would be "Slow Chess" :)

nope. 'slow chess' is no good; its all relative, and the DHLC has slow chess with 45/45 and 90/30 time controls. 'Turn-based' is terrible, probably the worst. All chess is 'turn-based'.  'Daily chess' is misleading. You can play cc chess with ten or more moves in one day if you're both on your puter a lot that day.  And then go for a day or two with no moves at all. I like 'cChess' (best), cc, or 'eChess'. 

I stand corrected. ;-)

Somebodysson

hehe, btw, I didn't read through any but the first three. I just had strong feelings about it, since I find the 'turn-based' just about the worst name they could have come up with. 

DrSpudnik

In nearly two years, there is only one positive development: chesskerblabs has stopped posting. Otherwise, the thread is a total waste.

TheBigDecline
DrSpudnik wrote:

In nearly two years, there is only one positive development: chesskerblabs has stopped posting. Otherwise, the thread is a total waste.

Seems like it! :(

All these points accumulated by all the people who posted here ... wasted!