Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
chess_kebabs
TheGrobe wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:
topman75 wrote:

how about team chess since most of it is played by clubs or teams and usually you can refer your move to a team member for advice.

um.. you cannot refer your move for advice.. not in rated games anyway.. no assistance is permitted.

It is individual chess not team chess... not sure why  you got the idea that it was?

People only do this because they're forced to by the site's restrictive policy of not providing a separate section where people can play "advice chess" (to be known hereafter as "Cerberus Chess").

that's what vote chess is for... to discuss moves with other members/players.. so that opportunity does exist here. 

TheGrobe

Still, it should be called Cerberus Chess.

TheGrobe

And while we're on the greek mythological kick for deriving names (inspired by Centaur Chess), what about Aeon Chess for Correspondence?  It touches on both the element of eternity and on thought/intent?

chess_kebabs

Erik wants something the masses will relate to.. 

TheGrobe

Well then he already has it.

Aeon Chess is incredibly apt, though, and there is a precedent for deriving the name of a variant from Greek mythology.  As far as I'm concerned, though, it's all Sisyphus Chess.

chess_kebabs

Yes he does, agreed.

chess_kebabs

Like I said earlier, no matter what it's called it will not explain how the games work, the time controls etc. So best to go with the term many are already familiar with and that is logical, Correspondence Chess. Still would like to see a link in the title Correspondence Chess that takes members to a forum which explains what Correspondence Chess is exactly, how it works, for those who don't know what it means, as it would make the site more user friendly, and I'm a believer in the more user friendly a site is, the better that site is.

TheGrobe

Still, if it's the perfect adjective Erik's after then perhaps consulting a thesaurus would have been easier than the community.  I have to think that his coming here signifies that there is an element of finding "the right brand" at play in his thinking.

chess_kebabs

What is "the right brand" is obviously subjective, and as he likes to emphasize himself to others they need to add "IMO", so in this case it will be "IHO" - in his opinion. :)

TheGrobe

Of course it's subjective, that's why it's ultimately Erik's call.

chess_kebabs

Obviously. :)

techonsite

Im a member since 2009 and used already on that name. So isuggestto stick toonline chess

AlCzervik
TheGrobe wrote:

Still, if it's the perfect adjective Erik's after then perhaps consulting a thesaurus would have been easier than the community.  I have to think that his coming here signifies that there is an element of finding "the right brand" at play in his thinking.

You might be right about a thesaurus, but the name given to what we know as cc is about advertising and marketing. Read; money.

motherinlaw

I've got it! "Chess for Shut-Ins!"Smile

e4nf3

goof ball chess

xqsme

Thank you Sandra...Laughing..."Chess for All, 24/7"

Crazychessplaya

"Dating chess"

motherinlaw

"Play Anytime" Chess for "Masters" And "Newbies"  

(that's right--- you got it --- I'm suggesting we call it "Pac-Man!")

TheGrobe
motherinlaw wrote:

I've got it! "Chess for Shut-Ins!"

Ahh, but it's available on a mobile device (which, incidentally, also works from my basement).

e4nf3

I-can't-feel-my-face chess