Do Not Believe

zborg

I've used V3 for the past 4 months.  As per my earlier post above, V3 "is still a pain in the neck," and it's regularly being revised, and allegedly being made better.

Now the site has allowed endless handles back to V2, like settings regarding your home page.

On balance, all the TECH companies, ISPs, and various webpages want you to remain in their ecosystems, all the while essentially forcing you to upgrade your hardware and software, alongside their "upgrades," as with the transition from V2 to V3.

Keep the masses buying into the new H&S, and websites, by (essentially) forcing them to retrain themselves, in order to stay within various ecosystems.

This provides pricing power and price discrimination power to the hawkers of these services, and to the supporting hardware and software producers, and to the oligopolists who dominate these markets.

Against this background, the site is "free."  But only in manner of speaking.

The most relevant issues is -- "What is Chess.com's business model?" How does this site generate $$ for it's Stanford computer grad founder, it's former FACEBOOK coder and founder, and the 100+ employees in a dozen different countries.  The have a fairly small company, in terms of headcount.

But the site is FREE you say?

Then why did the founders buy the name "Chess.com" (for lots of $$) from the original owner who went bankrupt?  The Chess.com "founding story" can be located on the site, but moving around efficiently on the site means constantly adapting to it's changing nature.  Hence, they keep you clicking and typing.  The more clicks the better.

The more you click and type within their ECOSYSTEM, and tell you friends how great is your experience, and it draws in more aUSERS, the more advertizing money they make from your private information.  And that's only the first level of advertising revenue. Certainly their are many others.

Personally, I'm finding that the Game in 5/5 environment is getting very "twitchy."  It doesn't run smootly for me, of late, and my pieces get "stuck in mud," and freeze up.  So perhaps I need to upgrade my hardware, or software, or my knowledge?  The story goes on and on.  But the site is FREE for most people, so your complaints have no traction.  Enjoy what they provide, and hope to hell it works smootly.  What other option do you have?  Other than move somewhere else.

Navigating between V2 and V3 has NEVER been easy for me.  But I'm not a coder, and don't care to be.  

Happy New Years to All, and especially @Ponz111, former US CC Champion for starting this thread.  happy.png

  

Dlittle231

Yep something is wrong with v3. It never tells me when a new comment is made in a forum I am active in.

These computer people thing if it's new it's better or maybe they just want to get paid

s23bog

Chess is a hobby for most people who play the game.  If you can make money playing around with computers and chess, as hobbies, then I think you have found a worthwhile endeavor.  Let them do their little tweaks here and there.  Make a hobby out of trying to track them, if you like.

Martin_Stahl
Dlittle231 wrote:

Yep something is wrong with v3. It never tells me when a new comment is made in a forum I am active in.

These computer people thing if it's new it's better or maybe they just want to get paid

 

It will only tell you of new comments if Settings > Alerts and Email > Anyone comments on content I am tracking is set to On and if it is off, then only if you manually Follow that content. I have mine turned off and only manually follow topics that I want alerts for. Everything else I rely on the forum My Topics navigation.

Martin_Stahl
zborg wrote:
...

Against this background, the site is "free."  But only in manner of speaking.

The most relevant issues is -- "What is Chess.com's business model?" How does this site generate $$ for it's Stanford computer grad founder, it's former FACEBOOK coder and founder, and the 100+ employees in a dozen different countries.  The have a fairly small company, in terms of headcount.

But the site is FREE you say?

Then why did the founders buy the name "Chess.com" (for lots of $$) from the original owner who went bankrupt?  The Chess.com "founding story" can be located on the site, but moving around efficiently on the site means constantly adapting to it's changing nature.  Hence, they keep you clicking and typing.  The more clicks the better.

....

  

 

The domain name and Chess Mentor software was purchased at a bankruptcy auction and then bought by @erik from that. $55,000 for a short, very descriptive URL and a software product. Is that lot's of money? For starting a business, it isn't really.

 

As to how it generates revenue. Premium memberships and ad revenue. I'm sure there may also be some affiliate style revenue for any traffic generated to WholesaleChess as well, but that is just speculation and probably isn't significant if it exists. erik has posted in the past that while ad revenue is significant enough that it doesn't make sense not to have it, he has said that it isn't a really large portion of revenues. I'm not sure if that still holds for v3 or not though.

nils78

stop whining, you have free and great alternatives

cottonsock
..... the whining must stop, it’s so unfair, just saying.
Bad_Dobby_Fischer
ponz111 wrote:

Chess.com's claim that 98% are using version 3?

it's 98% of the world pop.

Lawdoginator

I'll whine if I want to!

zborg

You can always whine to the East European Girls on the Dating Ads.  That's another revenue source for the site.  grin.png

ponz111

i still use V2. [thought they said they were going to abolish V2?]

zborg
ponz111 wrote:

i still use V2. [thought they said they were going to abolish V2?]

Indeed, that's what they said about 6 months ago.  But now the site appears to be hedging its bets.  

There's a flashy video, about 3 weeks ago, regarding V2 (Classic) and V3.  It was a blur of mouse clicks and suggestions from one of the IM's or GMs associated with the site, I believe.

But your guess is as good as any regarding what's coming next.  My home page now looks like some kind of weird blend of V2 and V3, but I'm clueless on the current state of affairs.  Except that now my hardware and software has a tendency to freeze up inside game in 5/5.

 

Whatever, life goes on...frustrated.png