Forums

New Site Design Feedback

Sort:
netzach

Whilst browsing games keep coming across the following statement :

user1_username is currently on vacation! 
"Will be back soon" 

What does this mean ? & How do I identify which of the players is on vacation ??

evanbaldonado

This is just a suggestion. It would be cool, if on "all stats", you could find a worse loss, instead of just a best win.

piphilologist
enb wrote:

This is just a suggestion. It would be cool, if on "all stats", you could find a worse loss, instead of just a best win.

http://www.chess.com/echess/stats_demo/enb

oddly there is a worst loss in the demo stats shown to free members...

NineofWands
BorgQueen wrote:

Change is a part of life... you either adapt or you don't, but you can't expect everything to stay the same forever!

its not unreasonable to expect things to NOT change for the worse when you have paid a subscription one year in advance !

netzach

Todays glitch (& the site was '' offline for maintenance '' for 1/2 hour) is that subsequent to editing my profile all the other (unrelated to simple text-edit) has vanished !

Keep saying this but the more complications that are added to this site then there seems to be a corresponding increase in IT errrors.

Really (and am not joking) this should be tested on '' mirror-site '' first prior to implementation.

TheGrobe

It was tested on a "mirror site", just not sufficiently.

netzach

Well silly overcomplication. One thing at a time (then de-bug) surely ?

gambit-man
netzach wrote:

Well silly overcomplication. One thing at a time (then de-bug) surely ?

The trouble with de-bugging is that once it is complete, there'll be next to nothing left on the site!

This really has gone on for far too long now (7 weeks!!!), and i'm obviously not the only one who is fed up with it:-(

chess_kebabs
CBA wrote:

Once again we come back to this decision to mix Live on Online games. Did anyone actually ask for this?

This is an 'annoying' new feature.. it's actually  a deletion of a good old feature, as on the old site there was order with the games archives. Now that order is gone.

If we did a list of new good features vs. removal of previous good  features, I think the latter's list would be longer. :(

And to keep hearing that new members are joining every day and don't have a problem feels like a bit of a slap in the face. Of course they aren't going to notice the differences, they weren't here before to notice what's changed, and of course new members are going to keep joining every day, always have, always will. Does that mean the pre-existing members complaints don't mean much because of that? It's all about just getting new members all the time? The navigational issues that keep being brought up, the decline in being able to navigate as well on the site as before is going to be more noticed by those who navigate a lot here. The group leaders, the admins, the active forum contributors, not the members who log on, log into live, play a game and log out. And yes, they would be the majority of members here, but they aren't the ones who network/navigate much on the site. When I hear the words new members are joining every day and more members are buying memberships it doesn't offer comfort to us more active members on the site. We may be a minority on the site,  but without the active admins here, the quality of enjoyment for many of the other members, both paying and non-paying would go down significantly, as many of those members enjoy group participation, the social and the team competition side, just as much as playing chess on the site.  If you took away groups here, you would be taking away a hugely valued element of the site by thousands of members as there are many thousands of members who belong to groups. So it's worthy to respect and take notice and try to accommodate the complaints and issues of the active members who help run these groups. We need to see online games archives of our group members at times, it  helps to judge how their rating went up or down. For us progress is being able to navigate more quickly around the site, now more slowly, and to have features added, not removed. 

netzach

Well though fully-understanding they are trying their best, curb the actions of this programming-team & instead appoint one experienced in ergonomics/functionality/clearness-of-approach to call the shots...

( preferably an active, chess-playing, group-member, that uses all the features available on the site.)

Joseph-S

chess_kebabs
cookiemonster161140 wrote:
BorgQueen wrote:

How old are you GM?

If you can't point your finger at something specific, then what, exactly, do you expect anyone to do??  Change is a part of life... you either adapt or you don't, but you can't expect everything to stay the same forever!

Change is part of life. So is change for the worse. 

Sounds a bit Darwinian though...like, Adapt or die?

Frankly, if the site does not suit my needs anymore I'll go somewhere else. What annoys me is staff thinking they know best, that they don't make mistakes and their unwavering belief that all the changes they made with the new format are improvements. 

No, they're not.

I don't like the new format for a handful of reasons previously stated in this and other threads but hey I'm just a member and site user. As a party of one, that makes my voice very soft in the cacaphony of new format complaints.

Is staff even listening?

Why would they ruin something that was popular and working so very well? I'm confused. 

Because according to Erik the upgrade is not upsetting the majority,  the majority are happy, not complaining. The logic that new members are joining every day in relation to the complaints/problems being experienced by the pre-existing 'active' members and their discontentment is not valid. It's not a valid argument.

One thing I am smiling about today, it's nice to see the advertisement I designed for chess.com (the chess.com University ad) up on the chess.com homepage again. They must be ready for another big intake of members for courses. It's been a while since it was up, or at least since I have seen it posted.

http://www.chess.com/

netzach

Okay & yet another glitch today ( & don't want to moan non-stop but may as well make awareness of these problems )

Whilst submitting comment in group-forum involving quotation-marks + italic text, upon submission part of post appears in coloured-type ? Seemimgly no way to return it to black.

Joseph-S
chess_kebabs wrote:
cookiemonster161140 wrote:
BorgQueen wrote:

How old are you GM?

If you can't point your finger at something specific, then what, exactly, do you expect anyone to do??  Change is a part of life... you either adapt or you don't, but you can't expect everything to stay the same forever!

Change is part of life. So is change for the worse. 

Sounds a bit Darwinian though...like, Adapt or die?

Frankly, if the site does not suit my needs anymore I'll go somewhere else. What annoys me is staff thinking they know best, that they don't make mistakes and their unwavering belief that all the changes they made with the new format are improvements. 

No, they're not.

I don't like the new format for a handful of reasons previously stated in this and other threads but hey I'm just a member and site user. As a party of one, that makes my voice very soft in the cacaphony of new format complaints.

Is staff even listening?

Why would they ruin something that was popular and working so very well? I'm confused. 

Because according to Erik the upgrade is not upsetting the majority,  the majority are happy, not complaining. The logic that new members are joining every day in relation to the complaints/problems being experienced by the pre-existing 'active' members and their discontentment is not valid. It's not a valid argument.

One thing I am smiling about today, it's nice to see the advertisement I designed for chess.com (the chess.com University ad) up on the chess.com homepage again. They must be ready for another big intake of members for courses. It's been a while since it was up, or at least since I have seen it posted.

http://www.chess.com/

It reminds me of how companies care about their customers when they're young and growing but then after they get really big, they don't give a rat's *** about them anymore.

chess_kebabs

Here is another new navigational slowdown issue that has cropped up.

I just received an alert that someone had commented in a team match forum. But it's not showing me the newest comments first, page 1 first, like it used to do.. it's now showing page 2 first.. so I have to click on page 1 and wait for it to refresh to see the latest comment/s. I know it's a small issue, but when you add them all up, and have to do this every time you get an alert it is frustrating because taking longer than before to check these alerts.  This is the match.

http://www.chess.com/groups/team_match.html?id=121925&page=1

netzach

Well laughs because that is on my list of 10 (but not-urgent) problems. Doubly-confusing in team-matches with loads of comments as unlike other '' forums '' there is no '' last-post '' button !

Think is fair-to-say much as loved the site there are still numerous things wrong & this is months later now ? (after re-design)

chess_kebabs

We didn't need a  'last post ' button there before Aidan, as previously it always took us automatically to the page that had the last comment. 

netzach

Yes...

But that was simple.

chess_kebabs

Sure.. but just shows even simple things have been 'broken' in the upgrade. Things one would assume would be taken care of before going live with the new site. Why upgrade before everything or most navigational links are working as they should be, as they did before? 

netzach

Well realise am being a total whinger here, yet have said am not against introducing new-stuff.

In the process of doing so should not have screwed-up a perfectly-working system of chess-playing & group-functions ?

If the site implemented all this in an effort to be more-commercial & increase revenue fair-enough. They could have done all of that on a new leader/home-page with links from there back to original functional-pages ??

Know this is blurb but if something is ''not-broken'' then don't fix it.

9 times out of 10 when I see a staff-member in this forum they are having to explain to a user how to navigate the site-features. That's not good.