Forums

The 2012 World Championship of Chess!

Sort:
StrategicPlay

CerebralAssassin
Michael-G wrote:

No one doubted Kasparov, Karpov, Fischer, Spassky, Tal , Petrosian , Smyslov(and the others) when they won the title.  

well every champ goes through a downward spiral eventually (due to age).though in anands case I think it's more due to disinterest than age

CerebralAssassin
fluidwill wrote:

3 pts for a win? That's what they did in Football (soccer) when it got too drawish

that would only make sense in tournament play....wouldn't make a difference in match play Tongue Out

viche83
CerebralAssassin wrote:
fluidwill wrote:

3 pts for a win? That's what they did in Football (soccer) when it got too drawish

that would only make sense in tournament play....wouldn't make a difference in match play

There it would make sense though if people are interested in matches where the players basically have to play for several wins to win a tournament. I think that could be rather exciting.

trysts

Thanks, netzach, dashkee, Charlotte, and corrijeanSmile

jesterville

"So Canadians know there's a sport called Cricket. I'm surprised. "

.......................................................................................................

Balachandar, your first mistake is assuming that I am Canadian...I am not.

jesterville

"well every champ goes through a downward spiral eventually (due to age).though in anands case I think it's more due to disinterest than age"

....................................................................................................

"CerebralAssassin", although I agree with your assessment of the ineviable downward slope of the performance curve...in Anand's case, a host of commentators have also speculated as to the "why". The fact is that there are too many factors that can be the cause. I find it interesting that everyone says motivation or disinterest, but no one has even considered health or other personal stresses which may be affecting Anand. I think we may never really know, unless he chooses to reveal same at some point in the future. 

AlexBeale

Gelfand says that he lost because of "luck".  Lame excuse.

ivandh

Did I miss anything?

CerebralAssassin
jesterville wrote:

"well every champ goes through a downward spiral eventually (due to age).though in anands case I think it's more due to disinterest than age"

....................................................................................................

"CerebralAssassin", although I agree with your assessment of the ineviable downward slope of the performance curve...in Anand's case, a host of commentators have also speculated as to the "why". The fact is that there are too many factors that can be the cause. I find it interesting that everyone says motivation or disinterest, but no one has even considered health or other personal stresses which may be affecting Anand. I think we may never really know, unless he chooses to reveal same at some point in the future. 

yes...it's pure speculation...I don't know for sure....he became a father recently so maybe that has to do with it.

atarw

People doubted Karpov when he recieved the title in 1975

hankas

People doubted Karpov because he won the title by default when Fischer refused to play. Nonetheless, Karpov's play was consistently of a very high standard, with precision and technique of a world champion.

Abhishek2

I agree.

trysts

I just read through about 12 pages of this thread. Thanks for reminding me about it Abhishek2! Kind of makes me excited for the Candidates tournament starting March 15th, a little over five weeks away.Smile

shepi13

Sad that it ended because gelfand blundered a drawn ending under time pressure in a rapid game. Can't wait for the 2013 championship in about a week.