Forums

The 2012 World Championship of Chess!

Sort:
netzach

Course he can win ! He has more letters in his name !! Smile

jesterville

ok...so a rest day tomorrow, and then Gelfand gets his last touch of whites in the "classical format"...I certainly believe that from what we have seen of him so far, that he will try to spring a surprise for Anand. I expect another new opening for this Match.

jesterville

One thing I would say about Anand. He may not have lived up to the billing in this Match by any stretch of the imagination...but he has proven, that when it comes to his defensive ability, he is just as strong as ever. I would expect him to at least hold tomorrow...and give himself the opportunity to win it on the last day with the white 16s...just as he did against Topalov 2 years prior. Now that would be sesational.

loved

I would like to see the match won outright (by Vishy), and not go to tiebreakers.

jesterville

That would be my desire as well "loved"...but I suspect that we are going to the dreaded Rapids/Blitz...penalty kicks as it were...dive the wrong way, and it's goal, goal, goal, goal...

jesterville

Hi everyone, just read this storey from one of our friends here at chess.com. He is "Nongxha" from India. He is 12 years old now, but when these events took place he was only 6. Hope it moves you, as it did me-

When NIIT of Nagaland (state of India) organised chess tourney for all U-15 students i stepped in the age of 6 years and was studying in class two. It was a very special tourney as it was to feliciate the visit of the strongest player of India sir Viswanathan Anand. Very later the news reached my ears through local t.v. Channel. I urged my parents to take me to it but my parent didn't like the Nagaland state as its the greatest rival of Manipur state, finally my tears and hunger strike were answered and i was allowed to go under the guidance of my cousin bro. At that time i had only one small passport size photo of sir viswanathan anand which i took it off from a Newspaper. I was covering a distance of 315 km just with one thought, How would Anand look in real, will he talk with me?.. My happiness was in its fullest. Finally reached my destination.. I came to know that i was the youngest participant among 63.. I had no idea about the system of the tourney,it was swiss league. Only thing i knew about chess was that i enjoy it.. I learned fools mate,my fav. Than scholars mate. Thats all and some principles. I never tried to learn any opening lines,variations,concepts as i knew i was too young for it as i am not a prodigy. The tourney begin and i never accepted draw even when we are left with rook each and a pawn. A game went for 91 moves. Finally i had to pay for not accepting the draw offering. I was placed in 7 position finally but i had nothing to do with the tourney, it was just a way to meet my superstar. The man i dream. Dad often use to tell me that viswanathan anand sir knows upto to endgame consequences when you play the very 1st move.. I only just imagine and wonder. I missed the chance to play with him as the winner take it off. It was the time for sir to deliver speech, he motivated us and i was just looking in his face and was trying to count his teeths. At last, time came when my turn was coming to shake hand with him.. My desire to touch him.. As soon as he reached me i took out the Bishop piece which i brought from home. I turned it and asked him for autograph in it, he smiled and gave me without hesitation and i gave him the letter which i wrote for him. I wonder if he has ever read or not. He would not understand anything except I LOVE YOU. We were given super lunch and a gift came for me. My cousin bro said that it was from sir Anand for the youngest player. I was shocked and full of excitement i opened it, i found a book,my first chess book with the title Chess for Beginners-A.Gopalaratnam.. And on the first page it was written 'with Love-your anand'.. I was complete.. I capture the moment for ever.. Now i am 12.. Whenever i think of all this.. I smile and get relax.. Thank you for your time.

DrSpudnik

He's 12??

Who's this then??

Undecided

Michael-G

It's a digit photo showing himself when he will be 25.

DrSpudnik

Maybe he has Benjamin Button syndrome! Surprised

All_ways_winner

It's hard to believe he is 12 yr old. Look at his posts and blogs.

fabelhaft

I'm already wondering about the next title match. These guys are well into their forties, have passed the age when Kasparov retired and are scoring worse results than a few years ago, usually finishing bottom half in the stronger events. Whoever wins this match isn't going to be more inspired in the future, so the next Candidates winner would be the favourite in the match.

DrSpudnik

I pity Anand for having to stare at this for hours at a time.

electricpawn

That's just Fine.

malko

This is a cartoon about the Karpov-Kasparov match, but the names could be changed to Anand and Gelfand

http://www.condenaststore.com/-sp/Tic-tac-toe-game-between-Karpov-and-Kasparov-a-tie-New-Yorker-Cartoon-Prints_i8477249_.htm

trysts

GAME ELEVEN

Good morning! We are less than 30 minutes away from the second to last classical game of the world chess championship! The score is tied 5 - 5, and Gelfand has the white pieces. Gelfand has been very good with the white pieces the entire match. This could be a dangerous game for Anand. I'm a little nervous about this game. I expect to see a masterpiece of chess! 

Thank you for all the impressions and information I've read throughout this thread. We are on the first page of google with this title, and we have over 25,000 views from all over the world reading your comments about the match! Pretty fun stuff!Laughing

Michael-G

This thread is your "kid" Trysts so the credit is all yours.

We thank you!!!.

trysts
Michael-G wrote:

This thread is your "kid" Trysts so the credit is all yours.

We thank you!!!.

My "kid" sure wakes up earlyLaughing

1shtar

Gelfand is holding is own..and thats alot to be proud of. people were talking him down. i think he's done bloody great.

trysts
Goddess-Ishtar wrote:

Gelfand is holding is own..and thats alot to be proud of. people were talking him down. i think he's done bloody great.

True. Gelfand has been Anand's equal throughout the match. It's impossible to get a good sense of how this match will end.

Michael-G

If someone gained , in terms of popularity , from that match , that was certainly Gelfand.He proved that he is much tougher than any of us believed and he proved that he is worthy of the World Champion.Anyone who predicted an easy win for Anand clearly was mistaken(one of those  was  me).