Forums

The 2012 World Championship of Chess!

Sort:
jesterville

...so I've just finished my day...and back in my castle looking at the game today. Sorry guys, but I'm more than a bit glad that it ended in a draw. Semi-Slav just as game 2...but not as active IMHO.

I was just reviewing the game analysis at "Chessbase"...and the opinion there was that, so far Anand has been able to draw with Black much more easily than Gelfand. This of course in not unusual, since "The Madras Tiger" is noted for his strong defensive play. But it may imply that if anyone will break this deadlock first, it most probably will be Anand with the Whites.

Another rest day tomorrow...and then on Thursday I will be free to witness the game live...can't wait.

jesterville

...so this WCC has now been reduced to 8 games left. Anand's view is that the first portion of this Match was one of "probing". I would interpret this to mean analysing setups and looking for weaknesses...thus we have seen repeats of previous openings with variations on both parts. It is impressive that these gentlemen not only prepares for the next game to come...but also reviews the previous games played in order to find better resposes at certain key areas.

jesterville

The general thinking is that if this Match goes to blitz then Anand will be the overwelming favourite. Does Gelfand share this view? I am certain this would have been discussed with his seconds...and some sort of strategy devised. One option of course, would be to press more, and take more chances as the game closes in on the magic 12. I think however, that this plays right into Anand's hand...more risky play offers the stronger player the greater chances...we wait to see Gelfands strategy going forward...

fabelhaft
jesterville wrote:

The general thinking is that if this Match goes to blitz then Anand will be the overwelming favourite. Does Gelfand share this view?

I think the weaker player always would prefer a decision in blitz where things are more unpredictable. Kosteniuk won against Anand, Aronian and Carlsen in the World Blitz Championship, but she would never beat them with classical time controls. So even if Anand would be the favourite also in blitz I think Gelfand's winning chances would be considerably bigger than in classical, where he hasn't beaten Anand in 19 years and hasn't looked likely to win a game in this match either.

Charlotte

i will be quite surprised if it comes down to a tiebreaker because there are another 8 draws! something will give soon i hope

kco

no way that this champioship is gonna decide by the blitz if all 12 games turn out to be a draw.

jesterville

Interesting point "fabelhaft"...just maybe, Gelfand would like it to go all the way...

I more agree with "Charlotte_212" however...I really can't see Gelfand precisely defending against Anand for another 8 games...although we have also seen Anand "forgetting his prep", or just plain out blundering...just refer to the previous WCC-Anand vs Topalov for such examples...so I'm convinced that one way or the other, we will get at least one decisive result before the final 8.

Michael-G
fabelhaft wrote:
jesterville wrote:

The general thinking is that if this Match goes to blitz then Anand will be the overwelming favourite. Does Gelfand share this view?

I think the weaker player always would prefer a decision in blitz where things are more unpredictable. Kosteniuk won against Anand, Aronian and Carlsen in the World Blitz Championship, but she would never beat them with classical time controls. So even if Anand would be the favourite also in blitz I think Gelfand's winning chances would be considerably bigger than in classical, where he hasn't beaten Anand in 19 years and hasn't looked likely to win a game in this match either.

Gelfand doesn't necessarily feels weaker.Maybe there is something we have underestimate:motivation.For Gelfand is the greatest moment of his carreer and possibly his last chance of achieving what every chessplayer dreams off.As more draws come , he will have to take a tough decision.Will he let  "blitz roulette" decide?.

Anand  is the defending champion.Of course he would like to remain Champion for 2 more years but if he lose on blitz games then he is a champion that lose on blitz games(for the people).If Gelfand lose on blitz games ,he didn't deserve to be there anyway(90% believes that someone else should be the candidate) so he should be happy that he even get there(for the people).Will he let his best moment of his carreer to be decided that way?Gelfand probably knows that he won't have another chance so that's it.It is for him the last stop in this huge journey and I think he knows it.

IMO as we go to the end , an interesting emotional conflict will unfold and will be more tensed game by game.

jesterville

Michael-G, I do agree that Gelfand knows fully well that this is his only chance to be part of chess history...and so far he has impressed, in terms of the chess population's expectations of him. So yes...he can not be more motivated...but, motivation will only get you so far, does he have the skill level to break Anand's defences? Will he feel compelled/forces to take more and more risks as these games unfold?  I think Vishi is banking on this...and just waiting for him to overreach...to counterpunch.

Michael-G

I think the difference between these players is not huge.Anand is not at his bets point and maybe Gelfand is.One fact that should be taken under consideration is Anand's experience on similar matches.Anand certainly knows how to handle the psychological pressure and in the press conference after the game I had the feeling that he was much more relaxed than Gelfand.

I also think that Anand is waiting for Gelfand to risk,but the question is when Gelfand will decide to risk?If he has planned a risk, he has plan it towards the end of the match so that if it is successful , Anand won't have the time to react.But it is possible , with every game Anand defends successfully , Gelfand realises that a risk won't work and will only make things worst.

Anand took 2 easy draws with Black and Slav defense seems (till now)that can't give Gelfand an advantage.Will he change his strategy?Does he have something in mind or just goes game by game hoping for the best?   

Krasnopuz

I made bet 100 dollars on GelfandSmileTongue Out

AlexNic

The whole point of the contest is that you have to play a series of games and drawing in every game is not a way to win. Anand is probably better than Gelfand in blitz, which gives him an advantage. Also, I haven't noticed Anand sweating too much over any of the positions offered to him by Gelfand so far. Anand's approach was something like 'try and win or else get a draw'. He was not close to losing in any of the games. I think that Anand has some reserves for the second part of the series. And Gelfand seems to be putting all his might into it from the start. Of course, there are chances of Gelfand winning this series, but I would not call them huge.

jesterville

Well, I have been reading a lot of blogs on different chess sites where the draws are being heavily critised, but I think even thought all the 4 games have been drawn, this match is pretty exciting so far. Most chess games are drawn at this level...it is what it is...

jesterville

Hey trysts, where are you?...we are missing your input here.Frown

jesterville

So I've been thinking about Anand's strategy for tomorrow's game with the whites. Does he continue to play d4 expecting Gelfand to continue with the Gruenfeld? And proceed with some new variation? Or does he play his well prepared surprise now, with a totally different opening....maybe e4 or something else?

Michael-G

I think it is soon for surprises.Anand will wait Gelfand to risk and to do that he has to show him that he is not willing to risk himself.The more Gelfand sees Anand playing safe the more intense the matter of decision become for him.Should he risk or go for the rapids?Anand will keep his good novelties for the 2 last white(or Black) games(if he has any).

Of course all these might change if something goes wrong and we have a win for either side.The one that lost has to bring the "big weapons" on the battle.Until we have a win the battle will be mostly a battle of patience and a well calculated and timed surprise.

kco

maybe in the future, the player who play white should draw from the hat that annouce what move he is to make out of the possible 20 moves and play from there ! Surprised... interesting.... 

AlexNic

kco, how about this rule: do not allow to play the same opening more than once or twice in a match?

madhacker

But how would you define what an 'opening' is? How many of the first moves would have to be the same? And also what about transpositions - different move orders resulting in the same positions?

AlexNic

madhacker I believe that not allowing to repeat first two halfmoves will be enough to add some variety to the game.