Forums

The 2012 World Championship of Chess!

Sort:
jesterville

I did not see any of the wins live...but tommorrow I will be clear for the whole morning...hoping for another result...please...

jesterville

The chess blogs I have been reading suggests that both Leko and Nepo was recommending 14...Qf6 and evaluated it as giving Black a clear advantage. This is shocking to say the least...or maybe this is why they are not "Super GMs"...It was also stated that on Susan Polgar's site, the commentator indicated that if 14...Qf6 then the Queen will be trapped (a budding Super GM for sure).

...the expression on Gelfand's face after Anand played his ace was priceless...with the Tiger in the wings, knowing fully well that he had just taken back his crown...

jesterville

All of India is probably celebrating this victory by their Champion...and rightfully so...I would be surprised if Gelfand comes back to win this Match...he was given a smell of victory...and then it was taken away from him...pure turture.

SlickMick

17. Qf2! Wow is all I can say.  I have been thinking about this move for the last 24 hours and it may be 1 of the more exciting 1 move shot I have witnessed.  For me I witnessed this move Live while Leko, who is a Super GM, was commenting.  I did not have an engine running and by all appearances Black's Qf6 looked 100% obvious to EVERYONE (not running an engine), including Leko and other GMs not running engines.  This only confirms how amazing Qf2 was that noone even considered this move and which confirms how Gelfand missed it.  Sure, everyone on the side running an engine can say "how could Gelfand make such a blunder", but this is the engine's biggest asset, quickly identyfying tactical errors/blunders.  It's also revealing how Anand himself states he saw 17.Qf2 (at the last minute) as he captured exf5 3-4 moves earlier.  Now certainly Gelfand could have realized at the last moment Qf6 looses and played 16...Nf6 or Ng7 but it becomes clear that Anand had everything worked out in that White is certainly a little better by all accounts after 18.h4 or Kc2.  Qf2 is the exact type of move that is missed in many lost games, WC match or class play.  When considering the pressure on both players following Gelfand's Sunday win and how noone saw Qf2 coming, amazing!  Does bring back memories of the famous Byrne-Fischer game when all the GM's in the press thought White was actually winning even after Bryne resigned:) Of course engines were not available in those days.  Computer analysis does confirm Gelfand's resignation as appropriate.  Why allow your opponent to build confidence and showcase his stuff in a absolutely hopeless situation.  After amazing wins/games/moves against Kramnik, Topalov and now Qf2 I for one will need to include Anand's name as one of the truly gifted in all the history of chess, for which Kramnik has been quoted with a similar statement regarding Anand's talent.

SlickMick

Agreed, Kasparov definitely is a living legend and IMO the greatest EVER.  His longivity, accomplishments and amazing games speaks for themselves.  Anand can't compare to Kaspy and maybe Karpov, but all others an honest argument can be made where he is at least equal.  Like Kaspy and Karpov, Anand has played some amazing magical games. 

SlickMick

chrisr2212 - You are probably right, I need to come back down.  Simply was amazing how noone saw Qf2 coming while I was watching Live.  Plus of course I have memories of the amazing games Anand played against Kramnik and Topalov.  Obviously I'm a great fan of Anand:)

hankas

I can imagine Kasparov's reaction when he sees the game.

I still think that the last great world chess championship was Karpov-Kasparov. The later generations -while they are still great players- lack the formidable aura of an invincible champion. The gap between the world champion and strong GMs is too small nowadays. Back then, Karpov and Kasparov were like two chess demigods battling each other out in the sky while the rest of us mortals could only watch in awe on the ground.

All_ways_winner

Why comparisons between 2 legends ? Anand and Kaspy has different upbrining and different social culture. In India Anand is the first one who has earned name in chess at world championship level. There were players but comparitively less talented. Also not to forget Russia had more talented chess player in past which helped next generations. Whereas Anand has done on his own if I am not wrong. I am not saying that Anand is better than Kaspy. Kaspy is undisputed king but Anand should get due respect.

TwoMove

Looking at this game 8 again, was at work when happening live, it does seem an amazingly low quality game. Qf2 doesn't seem that incredible. Earlier Nh5 was very weird move, e6 was standard move. Then Anand's response Bg5 was strange, why not g4? Then Gelfand's Bf6 never seen a top class game, were black wanted this bishop on long diagonal exchanged before, why not f5? So whole series of strange moves. 

Compared with top players of past, the present ones seem capable of very bad play when not in their computerised opening preparation. 

All_ways_winner

Compared with top players of past, the present ones seem capable of very bad play when not in their computerised opening preparation. 

======================

Have look at old games and you will see many nonsese and useless moves too. BTW Qf2 was undoubtedly supreb move. Twomove if there wasn't engine/ analysis by commentators, would you be able to figure out easily that Qf6 by Gelfand was blunder ? We are watching online alongwith commentary by GMs and we think yeah man I also know better. Just turn off commentary / engine analysis and then figure out mistakes/ blunders ( If possible ).

jesterville

I still think that the last great world chess championship was Karpov-Kasparov. The later generations -while they are still great players- lack the formidable aura of an invincible champion. The gap between the world champion and strong GMs is too small nowadays. Back then, Karpov and Kasparov were like two chess demigods battling each other out in the sky while the rest of us mortals could only watch in awe on the ground.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is so true, but the question needed to ask is why? The answer is computers. Back then, chess analysis was mostly done the long and hard way, with only the obsessed like Kasparov and Karpov putting in the long hours to analyse all the branches...add their hard work output to their talent, and the result was the "great divide" why is mentioned back then.

In 2012, all GMs have all the same software and analysis at their finguretips, with far less work need to be done...with games going 20 moves into theory. IMHO, this is why the standard is so close now as opposed to then...a perfect example would be the current WCC. When they stick to chess theory both Anand and Gelfand have played as equals...but once theory is over, Anand clearly shows that he is the stronger chess player.

All_ways_winner

but once theory is over, Anand clearly shows that he is the stronger chess player.

=============

Exactly, infact in game 8 both of them avoided book moves after few moves of opening and experimented with their own moves and result is there.

All_ways_winner

chrisr2212 

didn't Anand himself get mashed in game 7 ?

=============

He did after committing 2 blunders. Gelfand did not had trap for Anand. It was Anand who rook risk. He is human and can mistake sometimes. I hope we can tolerate that.

TwoMove

The trick of trapping queen after capturing something in corner is hardly novel. Of course somebody like me can blunder like this, or worse, but in world championship match would expect something  better. Ok though humans can blunder, what was more suprising to me was the bf6 move. Just by positional assement why does black want his best minor peice exchanged?

All_ways_winner

Agreed at world championship level it could have been better but maybe both had 6 draws in row after performing perfect moves so they might have decided to do something diff and taste poison. Did any of them explained in press conference ? I missed that.

jesterville

The essence of the human being chrisr2212, is that of non-perfection...unlike the computer. Anand is not a computer...although he sometimes play like one...in fact he makes his share of mistakes like everyone else.

And based on the above is why I don't buy into the "this position is drawn" arguement. The fact is the position is only drawn if perfect chess is followed, and they play like a computer...but none of them are perfect...and none of them plays like a computer for very long, and we see it time and time again. I can't remember who recently admitted that GMs are afraid to continue at a drawn position because they are afraid of loosing...I believe it was Nigel Short.

TwoMove

Don't think Anand lost game 7 due to taking risks, was more the opposite of trying to play too safely. Had a rather prospectless position from opening. Personally think will ditch the a6 line, and play something more active in next game but will see. He lost a rather similar game to Topalov in slav endgame. Don't think Anand has Kramnik's abilty to resist in passive positions, very few players do. 

hankas

It is not to discredit Anand. Anand is a strong player and he definitely earned the title when he won the championship against Kramnik. It wasn't easy to defeat Kramnik.

All I am saying is that chess is a game played by two people. It takes two geniuses to produce magnificent games. Karpov and Kasparov were already head and shoulder above the rest at that time, and they helped each other to get to a new height. In fact, Kasparov wouldn't be as strong if it weren't for Karpov, and vice versa. It was iron sharpens iron and their rivalry brought them to a whole new level. The fiery and daring play of Kasparov met with the ice-cold and precise play of Karpov. It was an exciting championship to watch. They both became legends and certainly belong to the short-list of the greatest chess champions of all time.

The later champions lack this intense rivalry. They seem content with themselves. They became good, but not great. Take a look at the games played by Anand and Gelfand in this championship. I'd say that in general Anand plays poorly. Gelfand plays better than his usual games, but it was no world champion material. There is nothing truly outstanding so far. As a champion, Anand probably hasn't reached his true potential. (But I am probably not worthy to talk about Anand's potential.)

We can blame the computers. However, both the champion and the rest of the chess community have access to the same resource. Regardless whether there is a computer or not, the later champions probably did not have the same intensity as the earlier generations.

jesterville

...we only have about 4 hours left until all the speculation about Game #9 is over...and I still can't go to sleep...it's actually 03:17am Wed23 in Toronto.

All_ways_winner

Computers have affected every field. I just read article stating that many of youngsters don't know how to spell common english words. You know why ? There is autocorrect/grammer option enabled in computer software. So no one bothers to look at grammer. LOL