Where to post about searching of partners?

  • #1

    I don't see any forum here, which is dedicated to posts about searching for a partner to play chess with. I mean live partner in your area, not online one. I think many chess players would be interested in it so such forum should be very popular.

  • #2

    You could consult chess.com's interactive map  http://www.chess.com/map/players and display members on it.

  • #3

    You can also check out the local club page at http://www.chess.com/clubs to find local areas to play chess.

  • #4
    artfizz wrote:

    You could consult chess.com's interactive map  http://www.chess.com/map/players and display members on it.


    Yes, this is right.

    But it only tells me whether there are members in my area. It does not tell whether they want to play with me.

    I wanted to be able to post in forum. And people who want to join me will simply respond to it. 

  • #5
    Speaker wrote:
    artfizz wrote:

    You could consult chess.com's interactive map  http://www.chess.com/map/players and display members on it.


    Yes, this is right.

    But it only tells me whether there are members in my area. It does not tell whether they want to play with me.

    I wanted to be able to post in forum. And people who want to join me will simply respond to it. 


    Fair enough. In that case, you could start a forum SPECIFIC to your locality. e.g. "Yonge St., Toronto - anyone want to play?"

    Incidentally, if you DID live on Yonge Street, it is said to be the longest street in the world, so that might not narrow it down very much. It seems to run from Lake Ontario most of the way to Nottawasaga Bay - about 200 km.

  • #6

    When this was discussed in the context of Member Search (http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/member-search---how-to-improve-it?quote_id=1500724&page=2), the following pertinent points were raised:

     

    gumpty wrote: if we had a search that could combine any of the following......location (maybe miles or kms from your own location could be added too), age, rating, sex, it would be great!

    rdallison wrote: It would be great to be able to search for members sorted by geographical proximity to a specific location (zipcode in USA, postal code or city name in other countries)

    hackerandmodder wrote: Thats a little...stalky, if a word at all. If my Google CSE search was put into place, it would search every term by default.

    artfizz wrote: eBay already has a facility like this, but it only works within a single country. With members from 200+ countries, it will present quite a coding challenge for chess.com - taking account, for instance, of the Alaskans' adjacency to the Russians, and all those different zip/post coding conventions.

  • #7
    Patzer24 wrote:

    You can also check out the local club page at http://www.chess.com/clubs to find local areas to play chess.


     This is right, I already saw this page.

    But I already know clubs in my area and they do not provide environment for casual playing. They run tournamenets only and require membership, ratings, etc. And I was looking for something more informal and without obligations.

    As chess.com is a chess comunity web site why not to help people to get together and play chess (in more informal way than within the club only)? I think I am not the only one interested in it. 

Top
or Join

Online Now