Forums

Chess.com's Weekly Study: October 9nd 2016

Sort:
DailyFun

Starting with 2016, we will be posting a Weekly Study, courtesy of Yochanan Afek, Grandmaster for composing endgame studies. These challenging positions are designed to stimulate (and improve upon!) your creativity, depth of calculation, pattern recognition and pure imagination.

H. Blandford, 1949

Enjoy!

n9531l

It's not a bad thing to have a simple one every so often.

Incidentally, this position was published again, most likely by accident, as a study by A. Gulyaev in 1956.

Arisktotle

For fun I promoted to bishop since we know today (and not in 1949) that 2 bishops beat 1 knight - but I forgot about my hanging bishop on d4. A hanging bishop beats no-one Frown

learningthemoves

Thanks I  enjoyed this.

Arisktotle
n9531l schreef:

It's not a bad thing to have a simple one every so often.

Incidentally, this position was published again, most likely by accident, as a study by A. Gulyaev in 1956.

It's not accidental that the name 'Gulyaev' appears twice in a row. My bet is that Afek selects studies by composer in order to do justice to all (in the long run). While choosing between them, he discovered that one was anticipated and then decided to pick both!

I love reading minds.

n9531l
Arisktotle wrote:
My bet is that Afek selects studies by composer in order to do justice to all (in the long run).

Has he gotten to you yet, perhaps under a different name? He hasn't gotten to me.

Arisktotle
n9531l schreef:
Arisktotle wrote:
My bet is that Afek selects studies by composer in order to do justice to all (in the long run).

Has he gotten to you yet, perhaps under a different name? He hasn't gotten to me.

He won't get to me since I published only a few studies in standard chess media (Afek knows about that), all extremely complicated (not suitable for this place). Some others were in newspapers and an 'obscure' database. And I never entered any study or problem for the yearbooks which are the central point of endorsement and registration for all 'good' compositions of any type. I am sure that is where HH has gotten most of his material from.

But I will post some of them on chess.com when an appropriate occasion arises - e.g. someone claiming he made the hardest problems in the world. Not true, I did!

HaroonS7

First page!

lol

Lord_axe

Daily puzzle published something and after 2 days i am still on first page! 

Arisktotle
Lord_axe schreef:

Daily puzzle published something and after 2 days i am still on first page! 

It seems the Daily Misclick got you here. But you are welcome!

MARattigan

Note how unsuitable the puzzle interface is. It's the Black moves you're meant to find.

Interestingly, I don't think many chess engines would find the best defence for Black (though they may hold out longer).