Forums

How to play this endgame?

Sort:
Apoapsis

In a game today I reached this position:

White is a (passed) pawn up, but with both rooks passive and three isolated pawns, I think he will have trouble winning.

In the game, the white played 25. Nxf7? giving up the knight for a pawn. It passes the e-pawn, but I don't think that is sufficient compensation. Black got the pawn back and white resigned on move 42.

So my question is, what should white play here? Isn't Nxc6 much better? What is the correct continuation?

Thanks! Laughing

AKJett

25.Nxc6 Rxc6 followed by Rc4 and black is even bettter

APawnCanDream

I think Nxc6 is fine, but it puts white under the attack defending the three isolated pawns. For example Nxc6 Rxc6 and the c4 square will be a great place for black to place a rook, attacking all three weak pawns at once. Then he can use his other rook to double attack a particular pawn or try and infiltrate into white's position along an open file. White would most likely be defending for some time at the very minimum.

A better move for white is Nc4! attacking the lone a pawn of black's and threatens to fork his rooks. This move also allows e5 next which gets the pawn to a better square, away from the attacks of black's bishop. The knight is well placed right now on c4, giving support to the (will be) e5 pawn, attacking the a5 pawn, and also eyeing d6 and b6 as potential future outposts for the knight. White will need to get the rooks into more active roles which will be difficult with the a4 pawn stuck on that square but with good play white should be able to slowly work his pieces into better positions. Black has a difficult game ahead of him in my opinion.

roundtuit

Would Nf5 change anything?

yureesystem

Is this game still going on? And if it is you should made your own moves, it is unfair to your opponent any help we give you, and beside you learn more from your lost than your wins. Undecided

Apoapsis
yureesystem wrote:

Is this game still going on? And if it is you should made your own moves, it is unfair to your opponent any help we give you, and beside you learn more from your lost than your wins.

The game is over. It is this game: http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=447258854

APawnCanDream
yureesystem wrote:

Is this game still going on? And if it is you should made your own moves, it is unfair to your opponent any help we give you, and beside you learn more from your lost than your wins.

He indicated in the paragraph below the diagram that the game had ended.

roundtuit
yureesystem wrote:

xbigboy would not have posted a continuing game to get help from other people.

NimzoRoy

Next time post an interactive diagram, you might get more responses and/or more analysis.Don't expect a lot of help when you don't make things as easy as possible for total strangers to deal with

Offhand this looks like a draw to me