Forums

1400 am I still a beginner?

Sort:
PatrickHockstetter
Is 'For Beginners' still the place for me if I've hit 1400 rapid?
YellowVenom

It's not, but that hasn't stopped scores of other people. Do what you like.

jmullen772
I’m a beginner
picklez011
Play blitz, it’s a bit harder
KevinOSh

Yes and no. Compared to a 1000 you're an expert and compared to a 2000 you're still a beginner.

Congrats on reaching 1400.

dude0812
KevinOSh wrote:

Yes and no. Compared to a 1000 you're an expert and compared to a 2000 you're still a beginner.

Congrats on reaching 1400.

That reminds me of this thread of a 1200 blitz, 1400 rapid player VladimirHerceg91 https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/the-curious-case-of-1200-the-expert-s-rating?page=1

KeSetoKaiba
PatrickHockstetter wrote:

Rating is all relational, but I wouldn't consider you a "beginner" - perhaps "learning" like the rest of us, but I'd say 1400 is more intermediate player level. This rating on chess.com certainly knows a few basic checkmates, theoretical endgames and is for the most part past opening principles and hanging pieces. 

In the tougher rating pools, then sure 1400 might be lower, but for the rating pool of ALL chess players, then 1400 is actually above average - tough to consider above the 50 percentile a "beginner" wink.png

HaydenJory

300 is beginner

skour2
PatrickHockstetter wrote:

Congrats. Beginner is a relative - since everybody starts with a different skill level, when starting to play chess. Some people more or less immediately beat 1800s in longer time formats (once they've learned the rules). The same people will probably lose a lot in the quick / flagging / trickery - type of games. I don't know what the base skill level of the average player is, but I'd guess that it's below 1400 rapid.

IntoxicatedOldGeezer

Yes.

Gambitiodic

1400 is around the 95th percentile on this website. Fewer than one in twenty players here reach 1500. No one is claiming that this is approaching mastery, but I think that's setting the bar for beginner extraordinarily high. 

warlard69420

Magnus Carlsen is the only chess player that's not a beginner --- After all, he invented chess. 

BeCoolAndNotAFoolYo

So I'm upper intermediate (in puzzles lol)

BeCoolAndNotAFoolYo

Nope carslen didn't invented chess.

warlard69420
BeCoolAndNotAFoolYo wrote:

Magnus Carlsen invented chess. 

BeCoolAndNotAFoolYo
warlard69420 wrote:

Magnus Carlsen invented chess. 

Bruh ask anyone 

BeCoolAndNotAFoolYo

India invented

warlard69420

India invented

It is a very common misconception (primarily amongst Indians) that chess originated in India. However, the true inventor of chess is the Almighty Viking King hailing from Norway --- Magnus Carlsen. 

BeCoolAndNotAFoolYo

Ok i agreed Indians didn't but then how a single person could invent chess?

warlard69420

Ok i agreed Indians didn't but then how a single person could invent chess?

Simply by dreaming.