Forums

Road to 1500

Sort:
GrandDiplomat

I recently picked chess up as a hobby and in 90 days went from 800 to 1150 rapid and 650 to 1000 blitz. Is it reasonable to attain 1500 in the next 3 months? If not, what are some tangible goals?

sczyn

thats some serious progress man,i mean it

sczyn

meanwhile im stuck in 800 :< any tips?

Jalex13
It’s definitely reasonable. I know someone who did it recently.

Practice tactics
Limit mistakes (Captures, checks threats)
Increase understanding
Play longer time controls
Analyze games
KMWS

Depends how much free time you can spend on study. Maybe give the woodpecker tactics book a try, 100 endgames you must know. Then id start to learn some opening theroy, 1 for white 2 for black. Obsly against e4 and d4.

quidon

What @Jelex13 said is the best advice... Good luck!

GrandDiplomat
sczyn wrote:

meanwhile im stuck in 800 :< any tips?

I learned the London and Vienna. Then I learned how to utilize bishops effectively. I am still working on how to coordinate my knights :/ . I also watch a lot of Youtube videos on tactics and game play. My biggest challenges are working on a good black opening. I like the Nimzo, but I can tell I don't fully understand it.

JokerBen

I start with 100 Elo. It takes me 3 months to attain 1000 Elo. It also take me 3 months to go to 1400 from 1300. The more you increase your rating the more it will be difficult to increase it

RAU4ever
SchonnFranklin wrote:

I recently picked chess up as a hobby and in 90 days went from 800 to 1150 rapid and 650 to 1000 blitz. Is it reasonable to attain 1500 in the next 3 months? If not, what are some tangible goals?

First off well done! That's some nice improvement and I think there are plenty of players that would wish they could say the same. That being said, I don't think 1500 is a reasonable goal for 3 months. Of course, a lot depends on how much time you're spending on your chess. If you do only chess and nothing else, then maybe you can get close. But if you have plenty of other stuff to do too, it's not reasonable to expect to get to 1500 in 3 months time. The first reason for this is that it gets more and more difficult to get a higher rating as you climb the ladder. Rating is not linear, meaning that there is a bigger difference between 1500 and 1700 than there is between 800 and 1000. The second reason is that chess is a game of skill. The better you become, the more skill you'll have to have to become even better. Especially at the lower levels, a lot comes down to tactics. Not giving your pieces away is enough to get to 1000. To get to 1500, you'll need to do more though. People will not simply give away their pieces, you'll have to win them by tactics. And around 1500 other stuff will start to matter more, like how to play the middlegame. At higher levels, chess is a much richer game than just winning and not losing material. You'll need time to properly learn about that. I would think that three months is just not enough time to make that next step.

GrandDiplomat
RAU4ever wrote:
SchonnFranklin wrote:

First off well done! That's some nice improvement and I think there are plenty of players that would wish they could say the same. That being said, I don't think 1500 is a reasonable goal for 3 months. Of course, a lot depends on how much time you're spending on your chess. If you do only chess and nothing else, then maybe you can get close. But if you have plenty of other stuff to do too, it's not reasonable to expect to get to 1500 in 3 months time. The first reason for this is that it gets more and more difficult to get a higher rating as you climb the ladder. Rating is not linear, meaning that there is a bigger difference between 1500 and 1700 than there is between 800 and 1000. The second reason is that chess is a game of skill. The better you become, the more skill you'll have to have to become even better. Especially at the lower levels, a lot comes down to tactics. Not giving your pieces away is enough to get to 1000. To get to 1500, you'll need to do more though. People will not simply give away their pieces, you'll have to win them by tactics. And around 1500 other stuff will start to matter more, like how to play the middlegame. At higher levels, chess is a much richer game than just winning and not losing material. You'll need time to properly learn about that. I would think that three months is just not enough time to make that next step.

Thanks for this info! So, you would say I need to work on tactics at my level to advance? Then work towards playing a successful middlegame?

RAU4ever
SchonnFranklin wrote:
RAU4ever wrote:
SchonnFranklin wrote:

Thanks for this info! So, you would say I need to work on tactics at my level to advance? Then work towards playing a successful middlegame?

Yes, tactics will always be important. Even GMs should keep themselves sharp by doing puzzles! Tactics will definitely be the defining factor for you if you are to get higher rated. Apart from that, I'd start to learn a little bit about the middlegame. Where do your pieces want to go, what's a good bishop, what's a bad one and how to deal with it. That kind of stuff. In the end what you need to do during a game is to find the killing tactic if it's there, and if it's not, you just need to be able to play a decent looking move. One way you could learn about the middelgame (apart from obviously a good book) is to watch some strong players play blitz. Try to notice the small things: which move do they play almost immediately? Which moves can you see them make allll the time? Pretty soon you'll figure out that strong players always place their rooks on open files etc. That they play with every piece. That they'll find nice squares for their knights. at your level that will be enough to outplay a lot of your opponents. You really don't need to execute a perfect minority attack or something. 

Chuck639

Great info! Thanks.