Forums

Daeru(White) vs. browni3141(Black) WITH KIBITZERS

Sort:
browni3141
Daeru wrote:

I don't see how Bb4+ makes white lose a tempo. I think it makes black lose a tempo after 5.c3. What am I missing?

You're not missing anything. I play 4...exd4

Daeru

Current Position:

It is either 5.e5 or 5.0-0 imo. 

I have played many games with 5.0-0 and a few games with 5.e5.

Ben_Dubuque

5 c3 is not the move white wants to make, he would rather castle to safety

oh I suggest 0-0

-waller-

Never seen this 4.d4 stuff before, it looks like something you might see in the old-style Giuoco Piano without the c3 push for White - but also the development of the DSB for Black. For that reason alone e5 is probably a reasonable option, it would be interesting to see what you do with it! I'd assume 5.e5 d5 6.Bb5 Ne4 7.Nxd4 and it looks more promising than I first assumed actually. Personally I would try that - 0-0 is of course a decent alternative but then Bc5 looks testing, or even Nxe4 might be good for Black, up two pawns (obvs that material would get sacced back).

trysts
Daeru wrote:

Current Position:

It is either 5.e5 or 5.0-0 imo. 

I have played many games with 5.0-0 and a few games with 5.e5.

I recommend 5. Ng5. Fun stuffLaughing

helltank

e5 is the most solid option... Followed up by maybe c3 to gambit a pawn for development? 

Daeru

At this point, it is hard to argue which move is better but since I know more about this variation I play 5.0-0

browni3141

Bad choice! I've never played or played against that before Wink

So what now? There seem to be several options. Taking the pawn looks really sketchy, but it looks like it might be playable. 5...d3 seems logical, since white probably would still like to play 6. e5. 5...Be7 gets ready to castle, guards the king along the e file, making the pawn capture an easier option. It also prevents potential pins. 5...Bb4 looks kind of wierd, but it covers the rook's best square and will be attacking the knight if it moves to c3. 5...Bc5 also looks good. If you have good arguments for or against any of these moves, or have another to recommend, please comment.

browni3141

I'm very tired and won't be making a move today, plus this seems to be an important move and I need you guys!

helltank

5...Bc5 looks solid but a little boring.

5...Bb4 is met by c3.

5...d3 is complicated.

5...Be7 is solid and dynamic.

Taking the pawn seems good to me, but if Daeru knows this variation he's played it before, and if he played it on the internet most likely the other guy took the pawn, so he has an edge in terms of theory after you take the pawn.

I recommend Be7. 

Daeru

I don't think I've played against Be7 and d3 before.

browni3141
helltank wrote:

5...Bc5 looks solid but a little boring.

5...Bb4 is met by c3.

5...d3 is complicated.

5...Be7 is solid and dynamic.

Taking the pawn seems good to me, but if Daeru knows this variation he's played it before, and if he played it on the internet most likely the other guy took the pawn, so he has an edge in terms of theory after you take the pawn.

I recommend Be7. 

After 5...Bc5 it looks like war is going to break out.

5...Bb4 6. c3 doesn't bother me. It just turns it into a gambit by white.

5...d3, I'm really not sure, all lines look complicated to me.

5...Be7, I agree that this is the most solid, my position looks fine if white wins back the pawn.

I'm going to look at the databases before I decide on a move now.

browni3141

It looks like 5...d6 will turn into a Phillidor with black up a tempo, but the Phillidor is terrible in the first place, so white still has a decent advantage down a tempo.

Deep down, I really love material even when I have to defend it, so I'm going to play 5...Bc5. Even if I have to weather a storm, I have databases and kibitzers and long time controls to help me with it.

Ben_Dubuque

uh position please lol

browni3141

helltank

Put pressure on the insolent d-pawn with c3. 

Daeru

@helitank

What if he just grabs the e pawn and plays d5?

I think 6.e5! is the only way I can play for an advantage, and I have some knowledge on this opening. Any other candidate moves?

Daeru

Ok, I play 6.e5

Ben_Dubuque

after d5 has anyone tried exd6 e.p.?!

Daeru

Yes I looked at those lines before with the idea of;

6...d5 7.exd6?! Qxd6 8.Re1+ Be6 9.Ng5

putting some pressure on black's position but black has the saving move 

9...Nd8! 

and white is unable to get the initiative. Black has a great game.

The real question is what should black play here? He has good alternatives to d5.