Could blacks king position be exploited?

MetalFactor

Any mate or mate threats i missed? Better moves?

 

What kind of opening is this?

jcoat

The opening is a queen's pawn, and then you switched to a hungarian line with your second and third moves.

21. axb5 gave black a protected passed pawn. cxb5 would have been better. Black wasted a lot of time with his queen's knight. I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish.

blueemu

How does Black answer 30. Qf5?

b3nnyhaha

i have to disagree with jcoat on move 21, axb5 capturing towards the center was good, as there is no immediate threat of black being able to do anything with that passed pawn (and you would have been able to create your own passed pawn anyway). however even better was Qxb5, sticking black with a backward pawn on a semi-open file, where you would have eventually won that pawn outright, or forced black into a cramped position to defend it. 

30. Qf5 won a piece. as the f pawn is pinned, so the knight on g6 would have been threatened, and the rook on c8 is also attacked due to the threat of Qxc8, Qxc8, Ne7+ (because the knight protecting that square would have to move to avoid being taken) winning the queen back and therefore winning a rook. and the queen can't move to defend the knight as it's stuck defending the rook, so blacks best option would be to give up the knight.

also, 30. Ne7 just won the exchange, and Qe7 after taking the rook would have won even more material. 

Bill_C

IMO, once White committed the Bishop capture on move 16, the game should shift to tactics at this point, since now you either have to exchange Knights to add pressure to g6 and f7/h7 with Queen and Bishop or, look to sacrifices such as a Rook for Knight sacrifice. Once the f6 Knight was gone, White perhaps could have focused on the Kings position but would this have been keeping in line with the dicates of the board position?

To begin, look at White's position. The Queen side is mostly locked down and Black's passed pawn potential is very negligible. The King side has lots of room to run but no piece defense for the most part. The center however, is wide open here. Therefore, the position of the board from White's perspective is showing that the piece play should occur there.

Next, let's examine Black's position. Aside from the c5 Knight, everything is passively placed here. Therefore Black should look to exchange if possible to relieve pressure.

White here could play Nxf7 and have a great game ending here.

jcoat

@b3nnyhaha. I still think cxb5 is better. You're going to push the now isolated pawn anyway and I don't think black will be able to exploit that weakness. Also, I'm not so sure 30. Qf5 wins a piece. All black has to do is Kh8 and he looks ok. Well, his position is still pretty bad, but it's still holding on. He will lose a pawn though.

blueemu
jcoat wrote:

Also, I'm not so sure 30. Qf5 wins a piece. All black has to do is Kh8 and he looks ok. Well, his position is still pretty bad, but it's still holding on. He will lose a pawn though.

30. Qf5 Kh8 31. Bxf7 Nf8 32. Ne5 looks too gruesome for words.

waffllemaster
blueemu wrote:
jcoat wrote:

Also, I'm not so sure 30. Qf5 wins a piece. All black has to do is Kh8 and he looks ok. Well, his position is still pretty bad, but it's still holding on. He will lose a pawn though.

30. Qf5 Kh8 31. Bxf7 Nf8 32. Ne5 looks too gruesome for words.

What's the threat?  This is not an obvious continuation IMO, I don't see white winning a piece.

But in the final position, yeah, you're already gonna get the f7 pawn.

blueemu
waffllemaster wrote:
blueemu wrote:
jcoat wrote:

Also, I'm not so sure 30. Qf5 wins a piece. All black has to do is Kh8 and he looks ok. Well, his position is still pretty bad, but it's still holding on. He will lose a pawn though.

30. Qf5 Kh8 31. Bxf7 Nf8 32. Ne5 looks too gruesome for words.

What's the threat?

33. Bd5 followed by Nf7+ looks pretty hard to meet.

waffllemaster

So you're threatening Nf7+ Nd8 to win the f8 knight?

But Nf8 wasn't forced, black could try Nh8 or Kf8.

On Kf8 I guess you just take the pawn anyway because c8 is hanging, and black looks terrible.

Qf5 looks like a good move, but I still don't see it win a piece Tongue Out

blueemu
waffllemaster wrote:

Qf5 looks like a good move, but I still don't see it win a piece

It looks like a winning move, and I never claimed that it won a piece. My posts were #3 and #7.

waffllemaster

Oh, thought you said it won a piece or something, sorry about that :p

blueemu
waffllemaster wrote:

Oh, thought you said it won a piece or something, sorry about that :p

B3nnyhaha made that claim.

waffllemaster
blueemu wrote:
waffllemaster wrote:

Oh, thought you said it won a piece or something, sorry about that :p

B3nnyhaha made that claim.

Oh, thought you said it won a piece or something, sorry about that Laughing

AlexMirkin
b3nnyhaha wrote:

30. Qf5 won a piece. as the f pawn is pinned, so the knight on g6 would have been threatened, and the rook on c8 is also attacked due to the threat of Qxc8, Qxc8, Ne7+ (because the knight protecting that square would have to move to avoid being taken) winning the queen back and therefore winning a rook. and the queen can't move to defend the knight as it's stuck defending the rook, so blacks best option would be to give up the knight.

After 30. Qf5, Ne7 saves the knight. Probably still loses the f7 pawn though.

waffllemaster

Part of what makes Qf5 good (now that I see it) is that it hits the rook.  So if Qf5 Ne7 Nxe7 win a rook.  And after Qf5 Nf8 Qxc8 also wins a rook.

b3nnyhaha

Ne7 doesn't save the knight because simply Nxe7+ and after Qxe7, Qxc8+
Kh8 and there's h5 to kick the knight, and after the knight moves Ne5 threatens f7 for a third time, which cannot be defended, there will be nasty discovered attacks with check with the knight and bishop. winning either a piece or the game.

Kf8 there's Bxf7, and after Qxf7 Qxc8+ Qe8, there's Rd8 winning the queen. 

 

No I didn't look at all this when i said Qf5 wins a piece, but its very ugly, and honestly i'd rather just give up the piece if i were black there. 

Bonesy1116

My first impression was 30.Re1.  Takes the e-file, threatens h5 with all kinds of problems.  30.Qf5 looks good too, I just like having all my pieces on the right squares when I'm ready to rock and roll.

The important thing is not to worsen your pieces whenever possible.  30.Qe3 just puts your queen on a less effective square for sure.