Forums

Help with making a plan?

Sort:
Lavode

Ok, so this is my first post ever on Chess.com. Hopefully, the I got the diagram to work properly.
I just started playing Chess a few weeks ago and would like to improve. This is a game that I played today as White. Throughout the entire game, I didn't really have any type of plan at all. I just looked at the board, decided on a move that looked like it wouldn't weaken me and played it. It doesn't seem like I made any blunders, but at the same time I didn't create any tactical possibilities for myself either. At the end of the game, it seems my opponent blundered, then resigned because he was going to lose his Queen, followed by his rook (and eventually Checkmate) I didn't make any comments on the moves a made because I wasn't really thinking anything other than "ok, don't blunder" on each move. Does anyone have any suggestions on moves I could have played during the game, that might have created a more interesting game with move tactical avenues? It just seemed as if this game should have been a draw, and it is quite boring to look at. Should I try to play a differently in the opening? Or if I started another game like this, are there any different moves you could see where I might have complicated the position somewhat? I apologize if the post is rather vague, but does anyone have any ideas?

SuperKingBoss

You should make a plan like this opening (my chess teacher showed me this) Or if your good at bullet, for blitz I reccomend to play 3 min. games :) 

Hope this helps, 

SuperKingBoss

SuperKingBoss

Also, sometimes I watch the "top game" because you might learn somethings from the CM GM or any other top player.

Remellion

Idea for opening: In the Philidor's as here or double KP openings in general, as white you would usually aim to play d4.

Everything is fine until 6. Bb5 - slight waste of time. 6. d4 or 6. Re1 are both decent choices here, finishing development and addressing the centre.

7. Bxc6?! is not a good idea. It gives up the bishop pair for nothing, allowing black easy equality and a comfortable game.

12. e5 is a good idea, but try to prepare pawn breaks if you have some spare time. 12. Rad1 or Rfe1 are both possible to make the e5 push even stronger before playing it, developing your rooks.

I'm wondering if 21. Qd4 works. I think it's safe, the idea being to get your pieces into more centralised locations after the trades.

21...Rxd5 was stronger.

22. Qxc7 is better for white of course.

The endgame... I'm not sure if I should comment here as the ideas of when to push or not to push pawns are tricky (and I don't really fully get it either.) In general, especially in queen endgames, try not to push your pawns too quickly, as there's a fine line between advanced and overextended pawns. 24. c5, 26. a4 and 27. g4 are examples of pawn pushes that created weaknesses and should be avoided.

aggressivesociopath

http://exeterchessclub.org.uk/content/lessons-philidors-defence

You could start here. I incorrectly remembered the title of the article as tactical ideas in the Phillidor defence. It is not up to date or complete, but should give you the basic knowledge needed to understand the Phillidor defense.

Lavode

Thanks for the input qablo, Remellion, and especially aggressivesociopath (the link really helped me out).