Forums

We need more amateurs to post their annotated games.

Sort:
Genghis_McCann

Hi Black_Locust. Pawns are strong attackers, but once they advance, they leave huge weaknesses behind and they can never return. On move 15 your rook at h4 could have caused devastation by going behind enemy lines at h8, picking up minor pieces and pawns on the way. 

Welcome pawn advances. Once you have found a way through them, you can cause chaos behind the lines. Have a look at the French Defence, my favourite response to 1. e4. It encourages the white pawns to advance, then slowly destroys them.

Cheers,

Genghis

A_G_A
Toogtyvepaastribe
[COMMENT DELETED]
zzzz8980
soothsayer8

I played a game against a new chess computer I got for my phone called Chess Free. Decided to set it on level 8 of 12 and see how I faired. For 30 moves, we played a great positional battle. White had the upper hand for most of the game, but I held my ground, didn't give up material and waiting for a crack in my opponent's defenses. Sure enough my opponent mis-stepped and I launched a counter attack. It didn't end the way I hoped, due to a critical blunder on my part, but it was still a great game.

shepi13

After an opening disaster I end up beating an FM:

MSC157

shepi13, what a game! After a really long time I finally enjoyed a game. Lovely, congrats!

JCQuinones

I am still trying to find my "writing style" as well as my game.

Let me know what you think about my annotations as I leave out variations in exchange for history and general principles on the game...

Black_Locust

Thanks for sharing this one, JC. Most of us in the 1300's wouldn't get the chance to play someone so experienced!

Black_Locust
Genghis_McCann wrote:

Hi Black_Locust. Pawns are strong attackers, but once they advance, they leave huge weaknesses behind and they can never return. On move 15 your rook at h4 could have caused devastation by going behind enemy lines at h8, picking up minor pieces and pawns on the way. 

Welcome pawn advances. Once you have found a way through them, you can cause chaos behind the lines. Have a look at the French Defence, my favourite response to 1. e4. It encourages the white pawns to advance, then slowly destroys them.

Cheers,

Genghis

Wow, thanks.  That rook move you propose at 15 is the HUGE opportunity I missed!  Even reviewing the game, I didn't see it.

JCQuinones

Here's a second game that I played against FM Asa Hoffman.

The position became so deep that upon analysis, Fritz couldn't help. 

Black_Locust

I lost to an extremely aggressive queen last night.

I think 2 ... Nh6 would have been a much better move.

soothsayer8

Black_Locust, every chess player who has ever lived has fallen to that opening trick before, I think XD Better response would have been 2...Nc6, develops, and covers the e pawn. Also, 3. Ne7 would have saved some material.

Black_Locust

Thanks, soothsayer8.  Those suggestions make sense.

ejian

@Black locust defend e5 and then play g6

jaybir

I played this one live, we had both 30 minutes.
I like this one because of the long term plan that came up to be efficient and even winning

jaybir
A sicilian game, najdorf variation, where my good intentions are destroyed by quick overlooked tactics
NFX0992

Have a King's Gambit Declined game. Still havent studied openings all that much, five minutes for each side, so there's probably a few errors here and there.

Ben_Dubuque

d4 wasn't a great move by white, other than that, why play 2.... d6, why i accepting the pawn bad (I play the KG as white, and as black I always accept the pawn)

creepingdeath50
soothsayer8 wrote:

Black_Locust, every chess player who has ever lived has fallen to that opening trick before, I think XD Better response would have been 2...Nc6, develops, and covers the e pawn. Also, 3. Ne7 would have saved some material.

2...Nc6 is the primary move to defend the e5 pawn, but I have also found that 2...Qf6 is a good strong defensive move as well.