Forums

Houdini playing the King's Gambit

Sort:
chessgdt

How bout houdini plays 1.h4 and 2.a4 no matter what dragon does?

Haiku575

Hahaha... the Accelerated Creepy Crawly. I'll get to that immediately, I like the idea!

And Houdini and Browni3141 have started a correspondence match! If you're interested in watching the ensuing fight, game 1 is here: http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=55137912

Okay, I did the 'Accelerated Creepy Crawly', as asked for... 

When watching Houdini play inferior openings against inferior opponents, I'm struck by how there seems to be a few different stages in the course of the game:

The first stage: since Houdini knows its position is bad, it shuts off all action and stifles the game while its opponent, trying to close in for the kill, weakens itself . . .

The second: While the enemy hasn't lost yet, the game is approximately even as Houdini makes a comeback, and begins to shove forward.

The third: Houdini grasps a definite advantage by some tactical chaos, and the inevitable win finally happens. Take a look at what I mean in this game:

chessgdt

how about 1.f3 2. g4 lol

Haiku575

Hah. Only if after 1. f3, Dragon doesn't play 1. . . e5 :P

Haiku575

I've decided to switch to a good opponent now, and after some consideration I will choose between Stockfish, Komodo and Critter. Each have a different style -- Stockfish aggressivel, Komodo positional and Critter tactical -- so it is a tough decision to make!

If anyone would like to see a favorite opening played by two GM-strength competitors, just give the mainline in notation (I don't know every name after all) and who you want as White and Black... I'll be happy to do it, but it may take a while for me to get back with you on it because my computer's hosting a somewhat long tournament...

chessgdt

fine dragon plays 1...e6

Haiku575

Hah

chessgdt

:)

chessgdt

lets see how houdini wins with 1.h4 2.Nh3 no matter what the opponent plays

Haiku575

Sorry about the amount of time it took to get back to you on that! Life has forced me to focus temporarily on online classes of an academic nature. But I'll post a game with 1. h4 2. Nh3 soon :)

atarw
Haiku575 wrote:

Hahaha... the Accelerated Creepy Crawly. I'll get to that immediately, I like the idea!

And Houdini and Browni3141 have started a correspondence match! If you're interested in watching the ensuing fight, game 1 is here: http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=55137912

Okay, I did the 'Accelerated Creepy Crawly', as asked for... 

When watching Houdini play inferior openings against inferior opponents, I'm struck by how there seems to be a few different stages in the course of the game:

The first stage: since Houdini knows its position is bad, it shuts off all action and stifles the game while its opponent, trying to close in for the kill, weakens itself . . .

The second: While the enemy hasn't lost yet, the game is approximately even as Houdini makes a comeback, and begins to shove forward.

The third: Houdini grasps a definite advantage by some tactical chaos, and the inevitable win finally happens. Take a look at what I mean in this game:

Is the game odds?

Haiku575

Yes, the game is odds.  

Wou_Rem

How about the Latvian gambit with this sideline:

Haiku575

All right, first off is 1. h4 2. Rh3. Here's what happened, and even here Houdini makes things instructional:

browni3141

I suggested piece odds so I could feel like I had a chance. Haiku575 thought I meant rook odds so we're playing rook odds first.

Could you do some games with odds against dragon?

Haiku575

All right. Here's a game with Houdini playing odds:

m74m2008

Well, that was an instructive game. Especially the point when it goes from being a position worth 13 pawns to a position worth 127 pawns. I don't entirely know how that bishop move and pawn move combined to be worth an advantage of 114 pawns, but I'm impressed nonetheless.

Haiku575
m74m2008 wrote:

Well, that was an instructive game. Especially the point when it goes from being a position worth 13 pawns to a position worth 127 pawns. I don't entirely know how that bishop move and pawn move combined to be worth an advantage of 114 pawns, but I'm impressed nonetheless.

I believe that's a chess program's way of saying that while it doesn't see the forced mate yet, one is pretty much inevitable. And if that is the case, note the fact that Houdini found it a couple of moves later.

Haiku575

A game with Houdini playing Black, and Dragon White. I didn't give any book moves past 2. f4...

As I watched this game unfold, I came to the conclusion that Black has attacking chances in the King's Gambit after all.

EDIT: That's Houdini playing Black, not Dragon. Sorry!

Haiku575

Some new opponents shall be tried out, for fun... I'll start at the bottom of the rating list, and work my way upwards -- with an exception or two. 

Houdini vs. SOS 5.1