Forums

Las Vegas Open

Sort:
stats_man

Here is my best attacking game from the National Open in Las Vegas. I scored 3 points out of 6 in the U1800 section. This game ended on a blunder but I was quite happy with attack. I missed more then one opportunity to take complete control of the game, but this is all part of learning.

mnag

Nice game even if Black did not play well. For a last round game it wasn't bad. Congrats on your even score, it shows your rating is spot on. Hope you had a great time in Vegas.

PrawnEatsPrawn

I don't really know the opening but I think 4. .... Nxd4 is poor ( 4..... Bc5 is the move I seem to remember), it just loses a tempo and allows White's Queen to sit on a nice square.

8. 0-0 looks fine but with a lead in development I would be trying something like Bg5, 0-0-0, f4, Rhe1 and e5, busting through the centre. I've not analysed it properly but Queen side castling against Black's passive set-up looks quite entertaining.

after 14. .... c5 you must have felt pretty good, Black fixed a backward pawn for you to attack, difficult to see how you can lose after that.

20. e5 looks really tasty (the threat of e6 looks monstrous), how long did you think about it for?

You won without ever taking any chances or becoming embroiled in a complicated position... those are the easy ones. Wink

stats_man
PrawnEatsPrawn wrote:

I don't really know the opening but I think 4. .... Nxd4 is poor ( 4..... Bc5 is the move I seem to remember), it just loses a tempo and allows White's Queen to sit on a nice square.

8. 0-0 looks fine but with a lead in development I would be trying something like Bg5, 0-0-0, f4, Rhe1 and e5, busting through the centre. I've not analysed it properly but Queen side castling against Black's passive set-up looks quite entertaining.

after 14. .... c5 you must have felt pretty good, Black fixed a backward pawn for you to attack, difficult to see how you can lose after that.

20. e5 looks really tasty (the threat of e6 looks monstrous), how long did you think about it for?

You won without ever taking any chances or becoming embroiled in a complicated position... those are the easy ones.

I should add that my opponent came in 25 minutes late breathing heavy and obviously frazzled. But part of battle is being on time and mentally ready.

I spent over 10 minutes on 20. e5 which ChessMaster rates at a 3.5 point advantage as opposed to 1.1 with 20. Qe2

Now that I have the advantage of a computer to analyze and am away from the heat of the moment, 20.e5 wins in so many ways.

But then I would not have had the nice finish but if he had not blundered I would have to play accurate up a pawn in endgame so it is best not to miss blows when the board presents them.

stats_man
RuralRob wrote:

Did your fiance play in the tournament too?

She was in Vegas with me but did not play as casual chess is as far as she likes to go.

She was very nice to get me coffee and put up with my bad mood after a bad loss.