Forums

Playing someone 400 points Higher...

Sort:
Arv123

Hello chess.com community,

Today I played a game on ICC against some 400 points Higher rated than me and I won. After a lot of trades and some sneaky moves, I won. However, I still think He could have played better. Can you guys find any improvements for Black?

Thanks,

Arv123

Puddle

I think 9. ... Nxd4 was a poor move for black as it allowed you bishop onto the a1-h4 diagonal. He might have considered 9. ... Ne5 to centralize his Knight as well as opening up the c file.

18. ... b5 was a poor move for black as it allowed you Bishop free entry to destroy his pawn structure. Although this also allowed blacks rooks the a&c files, it was to no avail because of your Bishop defending a2.

Well done on maneuvering your Rook into place behind your passed pawn. From there it was easy sailing. 

Arv123

Thanks a lot Puddle. 

Yeah I bet he didn't see 19.b4. 

chessvictor888

you played pretty good

Arv123

Thanks

eaglex

9 0-0-0 d5 is mainline not nxd4

16. Rxd2 Bxd5 knight takes may have been better

nice lucena postion at the end

Shakaali

From above discussion you might get an impression that 9... Nxd4 is a bad move. I beg to disagree. Whilst 9... d5 is the most popular move it doesn't mean that all the other moves are bad (or even that 9... d5 is the best). In fact 9... Nxd4 (with the idea 10... Be6) is also a very well known theoretical move and at least in one database containing master games from recent years appears to be the second most popular move in this position. I would be more sceptical about 11. Be3?! After all the bishop is well placed on d4 and the manouvre Be3+Bd4+Be3 creates bit odd impression.

I'm not a dragon expert but i faill to see the point of 11...a6. Why not 11... Qa5 right away? Anyway, I think black is absolutely fine before 18... b5? and maybe the knight could have even proved to be a superior minor piece in this ending.

masteryoda

Why Do you want to find Improvements for the OTHER player?

Ask for improvements on yourself.

masteryoda

Yes, Beatrice :-) Im Bored =p =D

Arv123

Thanks Jeremy

chessgenius2014

You played good.

EG_Slash

nyes