What do you think about the Grunfeld Defense?

  • #1

    If I can get opinions of players rated 2000 and lower, what do you think of it (if you play it or play against it). I am looking for a new opening as black, because I wasn't satisfied with my old one, and I am looking for something very complicated/sharp. I am fine if white deviates from the Grunfeld (Nf3 etc). 

    What is your opinion?



  • #2

    I feel that the Grunfield's opening lines are dangerous for Black, usually giving White an advantage, but I find that if Black survives he gets a fantastic endgame. If you play the Grunfield, you need to know the lines, which fits your description of sharp. Also, sharpen up your endgame, you don't want to scre up a good endgame.

    Coming from a 2000

  • #3

    Thanks, so basically sharp game where black is a bit worse, but if he survives the endgame looks nice, but it is confusing because some lines white gets 2 central pawns, with a pawn on d5. So it looks risky as well.

  • #4

    I only very recently started playing it, and so far I am liking it. There is an excellent multi-part video series here that got me interested in it. I like all the tension in the middle, and waiting to see who cracks first. :)

  • #5
    JamieKowalski wrote:

    I only very recently started playing it, and so far I am liking it. There is an excellent multi-part video series here that got me interested in it. I like all the tension in the middle, and waiting to see who cracks first. :)

    Are your results with it fine? Is it as complicated as I think it is?

  • #6

    I think its a great opening--I play it as white in the Rb1 pawn sac lines.

    Lots of theory you have to keep up with though but its not a big deal just download TWIC every week.

    In one of the main lines of the Nf3/Rb1 line, Black has to potentially sac the exchange. He gets really good dynamic compensation though.

    Black will pick up the e pawn safely. He has some nice passers on the queen side for compensation. And 2B's for now.

  • #7

    I played it quite a lot recently and after getting used to the type of game expected from Grunfeld, I scored pretty well except in the Russian variation. Even if you won't add it to your repertoire, I think you should give it a try. It is a unique opening IMO.

  • #8
    LavaRook wrote:

    I think its a great opening--I play it as white in the Rb1 pawn sac lines.

    Lots of theory you have to keep up with though but its not a big deal just download TWIC every week.

    In one of the main lines of the Nf3/Rb1 line, Black has to potentially sac the exchange. He gets really good dynamic compensation though.

     

    Black will pick up the e pawn safely. He has some nice passers on the queen side for compensation. And 2B's for now.

    Is that all theory, or with best play? I love blacks compensation, and I have read and looked up your Rb1 line earlier today, seems risky but worth it.

    Is TWIC free? Where can I download it.

  • #9

    Svidler and Caruana are playing good games in this opening if you want to study some of the newer games.

  • #10

    Very sound, very theoretical, and very topical lately. An excellent choice, but it does demand very good positional understanding, and good bookup.

  • #11

    Thanks for your opinion, it does indeed look like it has lots of theory.

  • #12

    My first Grunfeld game.. I totally forgot the lines to the opening due to the fact I didnt think I would encounter Nf3, I was expecting Ne2.. What is the proper line to this? I feel like it is the wrong move for white, and gives black an easier game.. despite  me playing the wrong continuation! I never looked at Nf3 lines, and I fully expected that Bg4 pinning the knight would be blacks move, but I was wrong and thankfully I didnt pay the price.

    As my first game with Grunfeld, I got a good impression of the opening, since I won in 20 moves.. but I know my opponent and I could have played better.

    Despite my opening setback, I had an easy game with black.

  • #13

    EDIT: Ignore the title, I just saw this game with the Nf3 variation so I copied the pgn, to insert onto here, but forgot to delete the titles!

    I saw a line after the Nf3 move, and it definately looks like black has an easier game, around my rating players do not really know opening moves to a full extent, so I am positive I will see Nf3 be played in the future.

    This variation seems good for black. I am glad I saw Nf3 in my first game because  I realised how serious Bxf7+ threats can be.

  • #14

    Most <2000 don't really study theory that deeply, and therefore the Gruenfeld is very easy to play. Bg7, c5, Nc6, Bg4, basic moves to pressure d4, and you've got a good game.

  • #15

    Shut up, Wred20. This is a chess forum, go somewhere else to tell how much you adore UCK.

  • #16

    I just beat my first OTB Master in a Tournament last weekend on the white side of the Grunfeld.

  • #17

    Seems a good idea.  Grunfeld is used by the best players.

  • #18
    imsodumicantdie wrote:

    Most <2000 don't really study theory that deeply, and therefore the Gruenfeld is very easy to play. Bg7, c5, Nc6, Bg4, basic moves to pressure d4, and you've got a good game.

    I am gonna ignore what wred20 said, because I do not want this to go off topic.

    As simple as this comment sounds, I absolutely agree, I played this line twice now and both times my opponent didnt play the line correctly and I had an easier game.

    Plus, Carlsen playing this line today made me happy, despite Nakamura too scared to face it and played Nf3 instead (after Bg7, still didnt take the  pawn)

  • #19
    SerbianChessStar wrote:
    imsodumicantdie wrote:

    Most

    I am gonna ignore what wred20 said, because I do not want this to go off topic.

    As simple as this comment sounds, I absolutely agree, I played this line twice now and both times my opponent didnt play the line correctly and I had an easier game.

    Plus, Carlsen playing this line today made me happy, despite Nakamura too scared to face it and played Nf3 instead (after Bg7, still didnt take the  pawn)

    Agreed

  • #20

    I think Grünfeld is quite a dangerous weapon in the hand of a well prepared player.

    Problem for white playing 1.d4 is that you have to be prepared for a huge number of possible defenses (Slav, Semi-Slav, KID, QID, Dutch, QGA, Nimzo, Benoni, Grünfeld, etc.)

    You can´t know every system in detail unless you are an professional chess player. So a specialist for Grünfeld is always a formidable opponent.

Top
or Join

Online Now